Abba Skylift

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, I wouldn't kick that one out of the garage if I found it there, either.
I bet the side wings are very useful.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I looked at these and the similar "Big Blue" motorcycle lift. I decided to go with this setup since I have several different motorcycles. It also works with my small popup camper.3154DDF5-3623-4BE8-B671-4EDAC1DAA926.jpeg
You also have a lot of room. If I had an extra garage I might go w/larger lift

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
You also have a lot of room. If I had an extra garage I might go w/larger lift
I have a 1,000 lb hydraulic / pneumatic table lift and it does take a lot of space when it is not being used. I'm redoing storage in the garage and will be buying a shelving unit. Plan is to remove table from lift and store vertically next to the shelf and then the lift frame and hardware will be rolled under the first shelf and out of the way. Removing the table is a bit of a hassle, but I only use the lift 2 or 3 times a year, just 4 bolts, so really no big deal.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
In my ideal garage 'build' I would like to have an in-floor lift as well; unfortunately you lose height equal to the sunken depth, but anything above having to work on my back or kneeling will save this older by the day body (especially by the time I have the chance to get something built!)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Or sink the hydraulic bed lift into the floor.

No storage space required and easy to get ST13 onto lift as it is flush with floor when down.
That's more than I want to do... another great part of the sky lift is once you have the bike on it you can easily roll it around the garage as well as tilt several ways.

bmw-r1200rt-5.jpg

IMG_5135_1517271105782.JPGAbba 1.jpgabba 2.jpg

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
My only concern with that TYPE of lift would be the casters used.
Unless your garage floor is totally smooth, I'd worry about the casters catching in a seam or stopped by debris such as a loose bolt or nut laying around, and pitching the bike.
I've used J&S Jackstands, Pitbull stands, and various other types.
The Pitbull and J&S show folks sitting on the bike for their pictures, but the don't recommend YOU doing it.
I've had hydraulic stands fail, and one even pitch a RoadKing off on its side when the fluid seal gave way, and squirted out across the garage.
And yes, I always used the locking/support systems, and released the pressure etc.
However, when you have to LOWER most of them, you have to LIFT the bike up enough to release the locking bar, and its at this moment that they can fail!
And it gives them a running start to really whack the welded on stop tabs, which can then break off.
I like worm driven lifts (Old Harley Davidson) or K&L type center lifts.
My Handy is Hydraulic, however, it has a serious welded support to keep it from failing imho.
I've seen more than one harbor freight lift flop over sideways.
(not my picture)
k1200.jpg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I came up with a simple way to keep the front end up when I rebuilt my Nighthawk's fork. Plenty of space to work, and the pull decreases the risk of accidentally rolling off of the center stand:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I came up with a simple way to keep the front end up when I rebuilt my Nighthawk's fork. Plenty of space to work, and the pull decreases the risk of accidentally rolling off of the center stand:

I have 2 40lb dumbells I was placing behind the rear wheel then strapping to the luggage rack and adjusting to bring up the front, a car jack under the front engine was also another approach.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Or sink the hydraulic bed lift into the floor.

No storage space required and easy to get ST13 onto lift as it is flush with floor when down.
"How to easily double the cost of your Handy bike lift..."
That's pretty much the ideal, if you can swing it financially and have the depth below your floor (i.e., not solid bedrock underneath.)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I've seen more than one harbor freight lift flop over sideways.
(not my picture)
I see no straps in that photo. Depending on the model, that type of wheel chock can allow a lot of sideways movement. I have one like that and it will not hold the ST1300 upright on its own without straps. Once the bike has leaned over to far, it is going over. I used it only to stabilize the bike for me while I was strapping it down. They don't hold as well as the screw-type wheel clamps, which will hold an ST upright on their own, but straps should still be used of course. I suspect that that tip-over was due to the wheel chock and the lack of straps to assist it, not the table lift.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've seen guys sitting on bikes while on the lift.

I would only use it to raise maybe 6 inches for doing tire changes.

You're also dealing with Made in the UK vs Made in China... so there is that.
Sitting on top is less hazardous than working under an unstable lift. Furgittabout Dancing Queen. When elevated how about Dancing on the Ceiling?

Your other points were good ones. Spending a thou to raise the bike for tire chages? A hoist would be more versatile - you could hang your deer from it for skinning and breaking it down. Oh...you are in Texas - well hang your steer or armadillo.....:rofl1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I see no straps in that photo.
The HF lift has those cheesey strap tie down points (same one's are on mine, but I added 2 heavy eye bolts front and rear with fender washers above and below) that you can see in the photo. Clearly he used the King's new Straps to tie the bike down since we don't see them. That's a beemer - must be a K bike so it is pushing the weight capacity of the HF lift. As I said, mine wobbled with my ST on it (not with my 76 T3 850 Guzzi). It's a shame it went over, but I'm not surprised.

Regardless of the lift, any small pebble or errant bolt or nut will stop small casters dead in their tracks if you try to move the lift while it's loaded. If you want to move a lift, get one with bigger wheels and a wide footprint.

Top Bottom