Hard Tail Bag

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Here is something new that I will be playing with this season. Maybe some of us have tried it before ?? I don't really like the way the Givi 52 handles on BlueSTar,, when my wife is not on the bike. When she is riding with me,, the Givi's aero is much improved,, and she likes it for both it's convenience and as a solid backrest. But I ride solo a lot,, and when I saw this lightly used Fastpak (Givi later sold them as the Speed Pack,, I think),,, I thought,, yeah,,, I could do something with that !! Here is a photo of one installed on an FJ,, which also sports a RDL. Mine will be a modular mount, that can be quickly removed to convert back to oem or c/w the Givi 52. Advertised capacity is 20-60 litres (expandable),, and it should also function as a driver backrest. BlueStar is still in pieces,,, after fixing up some coolant seepage,, but this is next on the list,, cause spring is right around the corner !! Cat'

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Finally got a chance to mount it (temporary straps),,, and see how it rides. Better aero than my Givi 52,, for sure. But the Givi mounting plate has to stay,,, for when wifey and I travel together. Granted,, the colour should change. Perhaps a coronado blue, or carbon fiber vinyl wrap would be an easy way to change. Although silver is very functional,, and heat/sun reflective. Maybe I should just get an '03,,, Cat'

WP_20170410_001.jpg

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
That is neat Cat - I like it. I also googled it and the Canadian distributor list them for $299. Hmmmmm.

EDIT - the danged decimal point was in the wrong place - I was out by a factor of 100. So sorry about that everyone!

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Late night, Ebay surfing,,, Pete !! Lightly used,, from California,,, Cat'

I will be adding a padded backrest. Believe it or no, it actually came with a back rest of sorts,,, which actually does does double duty as a first aid kit, that detaches to be a fanny pack first aid kit. Got to give them credit for trying to innovate value into the product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
20171219_154742.jpg
Looks cool. It reminds my of a '50s F1 car.
Yes,,, I am looking for a pair of old style circle number 12 decals to finish it off with. Not sure if it will stay silver,, or color match with the bike. However,, this is the most recent variation on the project. Kind of looks half canoe,, half motorcycle at the moment. But the tortured plywood was only$7 at Homedepot,, and will likely finish up in faux carbon fibre vinyl. Total volume should be a bit bigger than a saddle bag,, and I built it on an oem rear seat pan,, so it is very sturdy and modular (like a Smuggler). There will also be a large backrest to finish off the front of the box. And I will hinge the locking cowl. My goal was to create something that was easy to change over from our dual person setup (Givi 52 and Sargent rear seat), to my solo configuration. I like to keep things streamlined for longer rides. Any observations and suggestions are very welcome,, and,, Merry Christmas !! of course,,, Cat'

Top Bottom