Dual Sport Tires??

Bike
ST1300A
Hey ST'rs, anyone put dual sport tires on their ST for the possible need of non-pavement or gravel roads?

I ask because I am planning a ride north to the Yukon area and there is a chance of road construction along the route. When doing a similar ride a couple years ago on my V-Strom, it was no issue. However, a buddy was riding an RT (I know, a BMW); anyways, he was using the Pilot Road 4's, which were great on the wet pavement, but horrid on the gravel roads ... his RT was all over the place.

Living in the PNW (Seattle) area, I use the Pilot 4's on my ST and they are great, but for the ride through Canada, wanted to see if there might be a Unicorn out there that could give me good stability in the rain and still be good for those occasions of having to do gravel.

I've checked with my local dealership and they were not able to provide anything specific due to nature of the ST; so, I thought I'd check with others who may have had a similar need or situation.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe,:06biker:

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My advice is don't do it.
Put the tires on your V Strom or get something smaller like a KLR.
If you must do the ST tire thing, check out the Shinko Big Block. I do not know if they come in the correct sizes or weight rating for a big old ST, but may be a good compromise and may fit your VStrom.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You're on a 750 lb motorcycle.. spiked tires with glue on them won't make a difference.. or not enough of a difference to notice.

Many have ridden to Alaska on touring bikes so that's no surprise.. not sure about the Yukon..

Someone did try w/ST1100 with mixed results and the fitment was never perfect... if you find something that works, post it up as others might be interested. I think most just take it slow on those roads and hope it doesn't rain.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know if they make them in ST sizes but some of the big dual sports are coming with Continental Trail Attacks as standard equipment. They are marketed as a dual sport tire but I'd call them a 90/10 street/dirt tire I used a pair on my KTM950SE for some highway trips and they are a good street tire. I just rode them on some easy dirt roads and they were fine.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
As Jonz alluded to. I have the Continental Trail Attack IIs on my Tiger . I find them excellent street tire and agree with the 90/10 statement. After some wear they get a little noisy when leaned over but stick like glue.

I also agree with Mellow. But if you really want to try it the TA II would be a great choice. Still not much of an off road tire.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've made to Alaska several times with just regular street tires on my ST1100s. Even rode up to Salmon Glacier past Hyder (construction road). Unless you're planning on doing the Haul Road, I wouldn't sweat it. The bigger issue for me is the grated bridges when they get wet.

http://www.unclephil.us/Alaska2012Home.htm

http://www.unclephil.us/Canada2013Home.htm

There's going to be gravel in constructions zones, but you just have to take is easy. It's like a bank robbery -

'Don't nobody make any sudden moves and won't nobody get hurt!' :D

Check out some of the Goldwing forums. Some have tire suggestions for best gravel road tire.....Nothing like a true dual sport tire.

OP
OP
Gitlaan
Bike
ST1300A
Hey folks, thank for the great advice and recommendations. No scheduled plans to hit dirt/gravel/forest roads, however, as a lot of us know, sometimes the roads are not kind :)

I no longer have the V-Strom, so my ST is my only option here ... I've also done the ride to Salmon Glacier (on the V-Strom with Shinko's and they were great (for the V-Strom). My buddy had his RT1200 with the Pilot Road 4's; not so good, but he made it (just took a bit longer) ... and when we go caught in that large road re-graveling project, that is where he was all over the road fighting to keep the ride upright.

Will post an update once if I am able to find a suitable solution and the results; however, sounds like I may have to stick with the Pilot 4's just because of the heavy possibility of rain (at least I should not over-heat).

thank's again,

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
It's not so much the tire as the steering geometry on a ST versus your VStrom...STs (of any brand) just don't do gravel and dirt as well as adventure type bikes....enjoy your ride, sounds like fun.......ff

I Guy on advrider.com has a ctx1300 and told me he's running these "The front is a 130/40-18 Shinko 700 Series and the rear is a 205/50R17 Bridgestone Blizzak run flat."

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I've run Shinko's 705 on the rear of my ST1100 using the 150/70r size, for the front I used a Kenda in the stock size.
any high temps and these are likely to blister. After some siping and holes I got pretty good miles from the Shinko, but the tires are not all that dirt biased and I saw little difference in them and PR3s on gravel.
Sizes fitting on a 1300 is totally an unknown for me. If you are planning an Alaska trip, I'd stick to a good regular tire unless you are willing to do some tire mods. Also any snow and the Shinko does not work. I find them worse than anything except the old Bias stocker in snow, not that 700+ pounds of anything is easy in snow.

Top Bottom