ST1300 Oil Leak..

Bike
ST1300 2008
Checked valve clearance. Had to adjust nr. 1 exhaust. Put it back together and went for a ride.. Had an oil leak I didn't have before!
This where oil is coming from! What is this, why is there a space/hole there? It is in front of the right side exhaust. Nr. 2 cyl I believe..!
Little help!!

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, it looks like it is coming out of the square hole. There have been reports in the past that there is a "plug" in the "valley" that has been known to leak.

I think this might be it....

Valley-Plug-s.jpg

Okay, didn't noticed the "Check Valve Clearence".... Check to make sure the rubber dam under the throttlebody, didn't get caught in your valve cover!

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Make sure you put the bolt back in for the cam chain tensioner. I've done that before.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
Thinking about it, the cam bolt I took out is on the left side! This is on the right side! I am pretty sure I put the bolt back!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thinking about it, the cam bolt I took out is on the left side! This is on the right side! I am pretty sure I put the bolt back!
Ah... ok ... darn, I read that but it didn't stick.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That sure looks like it's from the valve cover on the inside and the oil is working it's way through the crevices to the square hole.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Nope that is not it.. I had to lift cams on left side but not right side..
Nope, not coming from valve cover..
It is a very common mistake to get the heat mat stuck between the cover and the cylinder head, which results in a leak. If you did a complete valve check, you removed and reinstalled both covers and had an opportunity for this to happen on both sides of the engine. There is a drain in the vee that leads to the square hole on the right side by way of channels that run behind the water pump cover. If you're spewing oil into the vee, that's where it's going to come out.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
FIXED! Apparently the two locating cylinder pins inside the right head cover where not right. One was in the head, the other on the cover. Put both in the cover. installed cover
and no leak!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
FIXED! Apparently the two locating cylinder pins inside the right head cover where not right. One was in the head, the other on the cover. Put both in the cover. installed cover
and no leak!
Congrats!... glad you got it figured out.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2008
ST1300 Oil Leak ... #2

Baffling! Oils leak out of the small square hole on front right side of engine. Not a lot but continuous. Took bike for a ride thinking maybe just needed to run
to get seals sealing.. Oil was at full mark when I left. Went about 6 miles, come back, oil still seeping from square hole and now the oil line on sight glass is at
the top. Way past full! I originally had a leak from not getting the right valve cover on correctly but that is fixed!
Any ideas? I did add oil once and drained the extra but now the 1300 seems to be making oil!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds to me like a valve cover that's leaking into the "V" of the engine and finding it's way out via that rectangular drain.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Without a bore scope and a VERY Clean area below the throttle bodies (the "V" area) figuring out where the leak is truly coming from will be tough. September of 2014 My 2003 started to leak oil out of that same hole. Several ideas were presented and tried. Removed and Resealed the Galley plug. I had not done a valve check so the Mat pinched in the covers was not a source. My leak would increase with engine RPM. This lead me to believe it was an area under oil pressure as at idle the leak was almost none.

What was my source of leak, a bad o-ring on the alternator. It took the removal of the throttle bodies and some idea tossing with Scooter. The only thing that looked like the culprit. Oil pooled in the "V" back under the alternator after cleaning the "V". Once we removed the Alternator you could see Oil residue and grime at the bottom of the housing. Replaced that o-ring and the ones under the angled water pipes at the front of the "V" as long as we were in there. I had done the hoses a couple of years earlier.

Not saying it is this o-ring as VERY FEW 1300's have had this one fail.

Good hunting on the leak.

The oil IS coming from below the throttle bodies in the "V" area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom