2008 Concouse Lost 3rd gear.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
Ok Well Duno what happened to my original problem description so I will try again.

Inquiring for a friend of mine I ride with who owns a 2008 Concours. Just trying to figure out if anybody knows what it will take to get down to the two gear sets. Im seeing in the engine manual that the engine head and cylinder body with have to be disassembled before the lower case can be separated from the upper but sometimes there are other ways of doing things the manual doesn't describe. The transmission shifts just fine with no difficulty or snagging but for some reason 3rd gear does nothing. 1st 2nd 4th and 5th gears all work fine. Any ideas?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Can't help you with the Connie, but your first post probably got caught up with the server upgrade.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
there's generally no way to get to the gear cluster without tearing apart the entire engine and splitting the cases. If your friend is mechanically inclined, its going to be a lot of work, if not mechanically inclined its going to cost a lot of money. if he can learn to live with shifting from 2nd to 4th that would be the easy way out.

Bike
2005 Concours
Did you try going to the Concours Owners website? They're always loaded with helpful info and a great source for problem solving.

OP
OP
RocketPsyantist
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I looked around on the Concours website but did not register and ask a question. He took the bike to some shop in Missouri to have it fixed and have some other mod done and tuned on the dyno. I advised maybe they should weld third gear in place since it will be coming back with more horsepower.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Ok Well Duno what happened to my original problem description so I will try again.

Inquiring for a friend of mine I ride with who owns a 2008 Concours. Just trying to figure out if anybody knows what it will take to get down to the two gear sets. Im seeing in the engine manual that the engine head and cylinder body with have to be disassembled before the lower case can be separated from the upper but sometimes there are other ways of doing things the manual doesn't describe. The transmission shifts just fine with no difficulty or snagging but for some reason 3rd gear does nothing. 1st 2nd 4th and 5th gears all work fine. Any ideas?
Sounds to me as if the end of the shift fork that indexes into guides in the shifter drum has broken off. As long as the broken bit is hiding in the sump then no problem, but you wouldn't want that drifting into the transmission and locking the gears.

My only similar experience was with my RF900, and that required an engine removal and upper and lower engine case separation, as in that case I also had gear dog issues that allowed the bike to jump out of 2nd gear so that transmission had to come right out.

Top Bottom