Need Help -ST1300 - Headlamp circuit, bike won't start

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
For at least the past year my 2005 ST1300 has been plagued with a short that prevents the bike from starting. When this problem started it stranded me in western Oklahoma. At that time I reached out to this group and the suggestion was that I unplug the headlamps. That allowed the bike to run and got me back home with no lights. Someone here has run across this problem before and I am interested to know what solutions, if any, were found. Here are the symptoms:
1. The fuel pump does not run and the starter will crank some of the time.
2. The headlamp and all of the lighting seems to work fine.
3. When I turn the key off all of the running lights stay lit until I disconnect the battery.
4. When I reconnect the battery, everything is off until I try to start the bike again.
5. If I disconnect the headlamps, everything runs and the engine starts OK.

Any help or suggestions for this problem would be greatly appreciated.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Make a jumper wire to connect the ground (green) wire from the front of the bike directly to the frame to see if the ground defect is up stream of there. Find the 24 pin connector on the left side of the bike just above the radiator and jump directly from there to the frame. Some of us have found ground issues originating from the yellow buss above the RH headlight tying all the grounds together or at the 24 pin or downstream of there. If the jump solves the problem make a permanent ground to one the bolts on that side of the frame.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?124335-Fixed-my-electrical-problem-(headlights-dash-lites-horn-turn-signals-windshield)&highlight=

OP
OP
Highrider

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Update : I did end up adding a ground wire to each side of the 24 pin connector, from the ground circuit to the frame. Not sure if it was necessary to do it on both sides of the connector, but it was easy enough and it solved my electrical problems.

Top Bottom