BamaRider adds to stable the- new CB 1100 Ex

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
CB1100 copy.jpg

A few days ago I placed a deposit on this 2017 Honda CB 1100 EX. I was told to expect a May delivery, so if nothing happens I'll be adding this to my collection.
The CB 1100 is a much different bike than my 3 sport touring bikes. It is a basic, nothing fancy motorcycle. Light, simple, all around motorcycle molded in vein of the Honda CBs of the 1970s. The past few years I've wanted to own one of the classic Hondas of that era, (CB 750 or CBX) but the price to get in was just too crazy. (easy over 20k)
Honda to the rescue, with this retro styled bike, with modern technology, so I get all the looks and feel of the old CBs at half the cost of classic bike. It was like they made this bike just for me. Soon as I learned it was coming to America I went shopping. Had to have one.

Why? Just because. I grew up around Honda CBs. Owned a CB 175, CB 350F, my family also owned a CB 350 twin, and a CB 750. A friend had a CBX that I happen to believe was the best looking bike ever made. In many respects the new CB 1100 favors the CBX with its twin upswept mufflers. Also note the chrome and spoke wheels, round instrument clusters, aluminum polished casings and side panels. Handlebars, twin downtubes, and dual shocks. All hallmarks of the 1970s.

Honda CBs, no matter the size, all shared a certain style and feel. They were air cooled, inline four or twin, beyond reliable. Riding a bike like this will make me feel 15 again, and taking day rides, pretending to be on a long trip. The CB 1100 Ex was born in the same factory in Japan that produced the original CBs. The CBs had their own design teams and production.

I'll ride the 1100 around Prattville and Autauga County, take it for day long rides, and might even a few overnighters. My sport touring bikes are for the long cross country tours, they can handle that like a 727. I mean I could take it cross country, but that is not why I'm buying it. It's classic lines, and simple design are what harkens me.

Modern bikes are heinous in my eye. They look like something out of a Transformer movie. I can handle the cruiser bikes, most remain their classic look, I like the the dual purpose and sport touring bikes, but the modern UJM/ sport bike are the dregs. I guess I'm showing my age, so be it. Thanks Honda for making this bike. My guess it won't last long, maybe a 3 year run? Why I'm buying mine NOW.

I do have one project in mind for the CB 1100. I'm gonna take it on what I call the "retro tour." I'm going to duplicate the first long ride I ever made back in 1973 on the CB 350F. I still have the notes and maps from that tour, it won't be hard. It took me 8 days to do 1800 miles on the 350, I'm going to do it this time in 4, if I took one of the sport touring bikes I could do it 2 LOL. Void electric windshields, fairings, cruise control, ESA, molded seats, and mind blowing top ends, the CB calls for 2-300 mile days, but that's ok,

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Well, seems as though you're trying to give Uncle Phil a run for his money on the number of bikes in the stable.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Nice write-up Guy. It really is a nice looking bike, I too like it's simplicity. I had a '73 CB350 for a few years in college so I know the feeling. Wish I'd kept it.

Look forward to your comments when you get it.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Ken saw my post and put this out-

"Well, seems as though you're trying to give Uncle Phil a run for his money on the number of bikes in the stable."

Man nobody is like Uncle Phil, can't hide money.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
BamaRider said:
but the modern UJM/ sport bike are the dregs.
I feel exactly the same and wish Honda would do likewise for the V65 Sabre which is my very favorite UJM. The Saber's tank and pipes were my favorite design cues.

That 1100 Ex is very nice looking and it's probably fortunate for me I don't have any Uncle Phil's Bucks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought the CB1100 was already a two year done and gone bike. I guess they are bringing it back in the '17 lineup as an EX edition?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
They really are nice looking bikes, but if I had one, I'd be trying to add the CBX style Hondaline fairing and saddlebags on it! LOL

85V45Sabre.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Congrats !!! I hear ya. Great write up too...!

Had two CB900s and then a couple of V65 Sabres myself in my early riding days.
At 19, I bought my first 1981 CB900C when it was only two years old. Put 22k on the clock in two years......
Honda had it goin on in the 70s & 80s.

ToddC

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Your going to love it,, Bama. I still have my CB900c,, for 37 seasons now. And a couple years back I picked up a CB1000c,, just because. Your new 1100 reminds me of the CB1000f that were built at the same time as mine old pair,,, and I loved the of the 4 into 2 pipes that came with that bike. Every now and then I still come across one.
Enjoy,,, cause you will have a hard time keeping the bugs off your teeth !! Cat'

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I thought the CB1100 was already a two year done and gone bike. I guess they are bringing it back in the '17 lineup as an EX edition?
True. 1100s were sold in the US in 2103 and 2014? The 2017 is a upgraded version of that bike. New gas tank, 4 into 2 mufflers, ABS, LED lights, polished side cases. In line with the original CBs the new 1100 has a once piece mold gas tank, no seams.

If I recall I think the CB 450 and CB 750 had the same style gas tank back in the day?

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Ron- I recall Honda tried to make a sport tourer out of the CBX in the last year. The CBXs I've looked at over the years were the first generation. The candy red in particular. The best deal I saw on a unit was 18k or so, if the bike is in mint condition (caveat for me. I didn't want a project bike) Like my earlier post, the original red CBX is the best looking bike ever made in my book. There was nothing like seeing those 6 cylinders across.

I can see myself, on my new bike, just a bag strapped on the rear seat, heading out for a couple days of old school touring.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Great looking bike, I could go for one of those. Just out of curiosity, does it have the shim-over-bucket valve train, or shim-under-bucket system? Sure would be nice to do valve clearance adjustment without removing any camshafts. It seems a bit unusual to release a new model these days that is air cooled, but I think I could live with that.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Congratulations, Guy! :cool: Appreciating nostalgia is one of the benefits of growing a wee bit older.:old1:The only thing better than multiple bikes in one's stable, is multiple Honda's... If it isn't a Honda, it's just a motorcycle! My four Hondas grudgingly make room for one lone Kawasaki.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I recently checked in withe dealer (Lakehill Honda, Corinth Miss. where I bought the ST) he advised it is possible to deliver earlier than May. I heard a few dealers in Central Florida had units on the floor. Honda's port of entry is Jacksonville no? That could explain why Florida dealers are first but I dunno.

I still love my sport touring bikes with their performance and amenities, but this simple bike, with its classic lines, and looks are the roots of my riding. It'll be great to sit on a CB again, and ride it across the state somewhere. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Great looking bike, I could go for one of those. Just out of curiosity, does it have the shim-over-bucket valve train, or shim-under-bucket system? Sure would be nice to do valve clearance adjustment without removing any camshafts. It seems a bit unusual to release a new model these days that is air cooled, but I think I could live with that.
I'm not sure of the valve design. No, air cooled motors are not as efficient as water, but the inline oil/water cooled 4, is a very reliable platform. It will grant many years and miles of trouble free riding. Also don't be afraid of a chain. New technology gives the modern chain many great advantages. One of which it is unmatched in delivering power to the rear wheel. For sure, a mega mileage guy like me likes shaft drive, but I'll never put enough miles on the CB 1100 to need to replace the chain.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I love when a company does a retro bike, especially when they look that good.

Congrats Guy! I traded a 2013 CB1100 for a 2014 DLX. Even though it was a stupid, painful trade to make, I never regretted it. My reasons for picking up the CB were exactly the same as yours. Like you, I use the bike for shorter rides. It's just a hoot. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. If you haven't already done so, check out cb1100forum.com. Just like here, it's a great bunch of people and a lot of good CB information.

Top Bottom