BamaRider adds to stable the- new CB 1100 Ex

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ozzie said:
I love when a company does a retro bike, especially when they look that good.
+1 I'd love to see Honda bring back the V65 Sabre as was.

Not mine but identical to it including the bikini fairing (Rifle I think).

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm going to duplicate the first long ride I ever made back in 1973 on the CB 350F. I still have the notes and maps from that tour, it won't be hard. It took me 8 days to do 1800 miles on the 350...
Hi Guy:

Wow, I also had a little CB (a CB 360) as my first bike, and did a cross-Canada ride from Calgary to Toronto back in 1973. But my memories of that ride were not pleasant. The thing was underpowered, pretty much wound right out at around 65 MPH. If a headwind was blowing, it couldn't get out of its own way. And, of course, no rider protection at all - no fairing, no windscreen, no nothing. A light sprinkle of rain resulted in a completely wet rider.

Absence can make the heart grow fonder, I guess, but 40 years later, I would still be reluctant to do a cross-country ride on an unfaired motorcycle.

Michael

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Great Retro Bike that holds the true style & looks. Hope it delivers all the miles and adventure Ur looking for. Always liked Honda's CB series of rides.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
+1 I'd love to see Honda bring back the V65 Sabre as was.

Not mine but identical to it including the bikini fairing (Rifle I think).
I remember the Sabre, how many CCs? I look at that vintage Sabre and ask WTH? That is a nice looking bike, graceful lines etc and now they make transformer bikes. Perhaps Honda will listen and produce a modern Sabre and still hold its classic look like the CB.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Hi Guy:

Wow, I also had a little CB (a CB 360) as my first bike, and did a cross-Canada ride from Calgary to Toronto back in 1973. But my memories of that ride were not pleasant. The thing was underpowered, pretty much wound right out at around 65 MPH. If a headwind was blowing, it couldn't get out of its own way. And, of course, no rider protection at all - no fairing, no windscreen, no nothing. A light sprinkle of rain resulted in a completely wet rider.

Absence can make the heart grow fonder, I guess, but 40 years later, I would still be reluctant to do a cross-country ride on an unfaired motorcycle.

Michael
A cross country ride on a 360? I can imagine it wasn't fun. The longest I went on my CB 350F was 1500 miles, it took me a week LOL, but it was fun. About 250-300 mile days. I have no plans to ride the CB cross country, I have bikes for that. I just want to ride it around here. It is light, simple, easy to ride and park. I'll ride it one county over to eat lunch etc. I do plan to take it on weekend rides of few hundred miles and a couple of nights.

This may sound like a dum question, but the EX comes with chrome and spoke wheels, but are tires still tubeless?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
BamaRider said:
I remember the Sabre, how many CCs?
1100cc in round numbers. Six speed (Sixth was overdrive IIRC) dual exhaust gear indicator shaft with plenty of roll-on throttle. A beautiful wonderful bike. I miss it.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've got one just like that stashed in the shed, one day I'll get around to repairing it, it's parked alongside my V65 Magna, sans engine. One day....... or they will become barn finds for someone after I'm gone.

Attachments

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congrats Guy! I traded a 2013 CB1100 for a 2014 DLX. Even though it was a stupid, painful trade to make, I never regretted it. My reasons for picking up the CB were exactly the same as yours. Like you, I use the bike for shorter rides. It's just a hoot. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. If you haven't already done so, check out cb1100forum.com. Just like here, it's a great bunch of people and a lot of good CB information.

Boy doesn't that sound familiar. I put my dibs in on a 2013 CB1100 before the dealer knew they were even coming into the country. I put 8500 miles on my 2013 , then traded it for a 14 DLX when they came out and now I have just over 28,000 miles on it. (and 86,000 on my ST 1300). BTW thanks for the kind words about the CB1100forum. I am a mod over there and we modeled the way we run things there after the way Mellow runs things here. It helps that a lot of the CB1100 owners are an older, kinder/gentler group for the most part lol.

Bamarider I believe you are really going to enjoy your CB. Very easy bike to ride. It will run around all day in 6th gear at 2500 rpms if you desire and 4000 rpms will have you speeding in Utah. Great ergos, and great brakes too, and you will be surprised how well it handles the twisties. Another bonus, I average around 57 mpg. Oh yea, we have our 3rd annual Rally coming up at the end of May if you are interested. It's in Eureka Springs, Arkansas this year (NC the first year and Virginia the second year) plus there is a first ever western rally in the fall in Idaho in August I believe.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
and to answer your question. no the spoke wheels are tubed

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Hey silverbub. See you are over reading on the CB forum right now lol

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
It will run around all day in 6th gear at 2500 rpms
Now that's livin'! I miss the days of low RPM. Sure running the needle up is fun but cruising at 4000RPM isn't relaxing to me.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I spoke to the dealer today. He advised he should hear something Wed (3-30) concerning a ship date on my CB 1100. My guess I might have it in a couple of weeks.

I have never looked more forward to a bike's arrival. I long to ride a Honda CB again. I don't even call the recent crop of Hondas with the transformer look CBs. I enjoy rides of 50-100 miles, rides I don't really need a sport touring bike to do. In steps in the CB 1100 EX. Simple, easy to ride and park, no heat in a Alabama summer, and looks cool. Yes, this bike will fill that need nicely.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
In a recent conversation with the dealer (Lakehill Honda, Cornith, Ms) I was advised the deposit/down payment has cleared after 6 weeks in a holding pattern till actual orders could be placed by the dealer into Honda. I was told to expect a early June delivery.

Never looked more forward to a new ride. Bikes of that era are the reason I ride. I'd forgotten how special they were. The air cooled, in line 4s, were simple in design compared to modern bikes. They were easy to ride, beyond reliable, and did so many things. I recall the glow Uncle Phil gave off one night around a campfire when he spoke of his Yamaha XS Eleven (it was a 1978?) The legacy of that bike can be found in my modern FJR.

In those days your bike had to do many things. Run errands around town, commute, and take long and short trips. They were easy to ride, easy to maintain. You could do most anything you needed with the took kit provided. Yes, the CB 1100 has the modern stuff a 2017 bike finds essential (ABS, LED lights, light power clutch, and slick transmission,but surrounded by dual shocks, chrome spoke wheels, 2 chrome upswept mufflers, all the stuff a 70s bike came with. I look forward to riding it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
2 chrome upswept mufflers,
Having owned '70s and '80s bikes I appreciate all the other stuff but two chrome upswept mufflers really rock! Reverse megaphone no less! And a strap across the seat! Shades of CB750!

I like the idea of a classic naked UJM. My V65 Sabre did have a Rifle bikini fairing and I threw on soft bags for an overnight/weekend ride. But it was narrow relatively light and plenty fast. And 6-speed. I wish there was room for a second bike.

That CB1100 is a great looking bike.

Top Bottom