BamaRider adds to stable the- new CB 1100 Ex

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I have about 600 miles on the CB. Yesterday I washed and waxed the FJR (caught in rain last week half mile from home after a 150 mile ride :mad:) Today it was the ST 1300 turn. It wasn't all that dirty but I like my bikes clean. Finished with that, I resisted the urge to get the CB back out and instead took a 150 mile ride on the ST over some favorite roads of mine.

It felt odd to be back on a sport touring bike after the CB last 600 miles. Immediately the heft and size of the ST greets you. But once I got it out of the garage, filtered through the traffic of East Prattville, and on I-65 for the 20 miles to get to the good riding, I could see why sport tourers are the best for what they do. The ST makes 90 mph feel like 50 mph as we shot up I-65 north. The CB feels really busy once you get to 75 mph, and at 80 you gotta hang on tight to the bars, because you're not slick in the wind, and you work against the wind blast.

I was on the same road yesterday on the CB 1100 and it was a leisurely, fun, and low key ride at 65 mph. But today, the ST wanted none of that. 65 mph feels like I'm walking, and though it demands more attention going into a lean than the CB, it will hold the line much better and not drift, as the CB 1100 is prone to do.

The open air CB makes a guy feel part of the environment as you glide through the countryside at 65 mph. I had no heat coming off the frame yesterday, whereas today the ST was warm as hot air moved up through the fairing and frame on this 93 high humidity day.

The gas situation has improved markedly on the CB. First 300 miles I was getting high 30s but last tank returned 44 mpg, and 170 miles on the tank. In my home territory (know where all the stations are, and call brother if I run out) I pushed the CB 1100 EX far into reserve. I had but a couple of ounces remaining when I finally pulled in. I just wanted to see how far I could get if needed.

I had a good time on the ST today, and with the addition of the CB 1100 to the garage, I doubt if I'll get any of the sport touring bikes out of the garage for anything less than 100 miles. Just too much trouble and they are too hot for that kind of riding 8 months of the year in Alabama. In steps the CB 1100, easy to park, easy to ride, simple and fun. Most of all it won't bake me during the Alabama summers.

I mostly bought the CB because it reaches the core of my riding, it just looks good in my garage. I can stare at it for hours. Reminds me of why I love riding so much, and takes me back to the day. Honda left nothing out to give a guy like me the experience of riding a classic machine. This bike feels my 1973 CB 350F so much I have to check to make sure I'm on the right bike. It sits,rides, and has the same characteristics of my dads CB 750.

I'll be ready to post more details on the CB on my website soon.

Top Bottom