Rear calipers 20 percent sticking

Bike
St1300
So I did my research making sure I find that best used option for a sport touring bike for weeks. I watched all the cycle sites for the best bike and deal. Finally found it and she is a beautiful 2008 red ST. Higher milage but has been maintained with records. Got the bike home and took it for a ride and noticed a sticking back break. Cleaned the calipers and no dice. The 7 step bleeding process done with caliper angle by the shop i brought her too. They have confirmed the cylinders are in good shape and a break rebuild kit was completed. Still sticking 20 Percent! They are running a wire through the hoses now to check for clogs... this is turning into a mystery novel quickly.

Has this happened to any others out there and if so, what was the issue.?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 on the SMC, and Larry. ;)

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I thought '08 was the year they changed the SMC? Are there still problems with it sticking even after the part change?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Probably the SMC. Wire through hoses?? That is insane IMHO..

In reality, STs are not that common and it is possible that your dealer has little or no experience with bikes that have a SMC. Some later VFRs and maybe Goldwings have them too.
Fortunately, I have never had any problems with them, but there are plenty of people here on this list who have.

Just be prepared to be buying a new 2008 SMC, crush washers and plenty of DOT 4. A helper and a vacuum bleeder are going to be necessary as well. I would not recommend trying to rebuild your old SMC. You are going to have to remove the R. mid fairing to access the Proportioning Control Valve, minimum.

If it were me, and since it is a newly purchased used bike, I would go ahead and change all fluids, lube your shift linkage, and tighten up all coolant hose clamps while I had it apart.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sorry for the late response, still recovering from my road trip to Arizona and back.
First off.....RUN as far away from that dealer as possible! :run1: and don't let ANYONE try to insert ANYTHING inside any part of your brake system! :nuts1:
You will NOT need to purchase or use a vacuum bleeder. You will need 2 large bottles of Dot 4 brake fluid (way more than you will need, but just in case), an 8 mm 6 point box end wrench, a motion pro check valve (about $16 bucks), a few simple hand tools, a plastic milk crate, a 5 mm allen etc.
You will also need some waterproof rubber friendly silicone grease.
You should have enough tools to remove one or both wheels to service the caliper sliding pins etc. So make sure you have sockets large enough (22 mm and 27 mm, and a 14 mm)
Other than that, PM me a contact phone number, and I will call you later tonight and explain everything you will need to do in detail and try to assist you.
Oh yeah, you will not have to remove all the body plastic to fix this, I can instruct you how to service the brakes without removing the plastic.
Standing by the white courtesy phone :call:

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Side topic that is relevant...

Hey Larry. Do you have concerns about pulling air in through the bleeder threads when using a check valve?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

Hey Larry. Do you have concerns about pulling air in through the bleeder threads when using a check valve?
\

I'm not Larry.. but I can answer. You push on a MotionPro tool, not pull. So no air entering unless you let the master run dry.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Understood T_C. Larry referenced the motion pro check valve in his post, thus my question. I've used these check valves before and was always concerned about pulling air in through the threads, because you still use the lever with the check valves.

OP
OP
Dan Oklahoma
Bike
St1300
Amazing input to say the least. I will be driving on the shop with tomorrow as I am sure they have no clue. They continue to mention "we have contacted Honda and are doing what they say to do remedy the issue."

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

Nope! Probably bled over a thousand ST's and Wings with it and never sucked air. The trick is, apply pressure to lever, and GENTLY crack the bleeder open just enough to allow the fluid to flow slowly through it. You could suck air if you were to open the bleeder too far and get in a hurry and try to move the fluid too fast.
Good question :plus1:

\

I'm not Larry.. but I can answer. You push on a MotionPro tool, not pull. So no air entering unless you let the master run dry.
Also a good answer :plus1:

Amazing input to say the least. I will be driving on the shop with tomorrow as I am sure they have no clue. They continue to mention "we have contacted Honda and are doing what they say to do remedy the issue."
....so now I just have to wait for the Honda care guy to call me on the white courtesy phone and ask for help :rofl1:

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Mother Honda did replace my SMC under warranty but I had to bleed the brakes and lube the pins etc. at Vinny's Tech event to get the rear brakes just right! Follow Larry's method and you will be good to go and in the process learn a lot about your brake system!;)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Mother Honda did replace my SMC under warranty but I had to bleed the brakes and lube the pins etc. at Vinny's Tech event to get the rear brakes just right! Follow Larry's method and you will be good to go and in the process learn a lot about your brake system!;)
How did Vinny do? I may hit him with a pop quiz now and then :rofl1:
He's the one person that I would let bleed my brakes.

OP
OP
Dan Oklahoma
Bike
St1300
So I spoke to the bike shop and they are replacing the front master cylinder tomorrow. This is week five... I hardly remember what my bike looks like!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
So I spoke to the bike shop and they are replacing the front master cylinder tomorrow. This is week five... I hardly remember what my bike looks like!
Front brake MC on the brake side of the bars or SMC? Replacing the former is not going to help with a dragging rear brake.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Run away from that dealership as fast as you can! :run1:
Either they have no idea what they are doing, or they are using your bike to generate revenue for the dealership by billing honda for service work!

OP
OP
Dan Oklahoma
Bike
St1300
What an ordeal.. heard from the shop and they were sure the last part replacement of the pcv would fix my break drag... not so much...

Rebuilt calipers
SMC
REPLACED PCV
Bleed the breaks
Checked for air.
Bleeding brakes again today

Hit the back break and it engages and takes about 6 seconds to disengage. Hit the back break again and they lock up.
I am now beyond frustrated and looking to start a prayer circle for my bike as it seems to defy earthly abilities at this point.
My mechanic has had Honda on the phone multiple times and had a rep actually in the shop this week for a verdict. That rep said pcv replacement is the ticket.
It's brakes... I would have never thought a bike would be crippled over brakes.... brakes! So very disappointed.

Top Bottom