Rear calipers 20 percent sticking

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow! Buddy of mine here in NH going through similar issues. But hasn't brought it in to a dealer and likely won't. OP posted 03-13-2017, 09:52 PM about a brake problem. Someone advised not more than an hour later that Larry (Igofar) would love to help another forum member out... Larry goes basically ignored this entire thread and OP spends $900 and has a box of old parts literally 30 days later??? (04-12-2017, 11:43 PM) Seems to me a quick private phone call from someone willing to do what it takes to help out would have been much quicker and much less expensive!

Larry, I had this issue on my '06 and got some help here a couple years ago. If my '07 ever does this I'll be sure to PM you my cell #!!! My buddy took his to work even though the rear is dragging so bad he can't back it out of the driveway sometimes. I sent him a link to this very thread and I really hope he contacts you! Guys like Larry make this forum one of the best there are.

Lary13-2017, 09:52 PM

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow! Buddy of mine here in NH going through similar issues. But hasn't brought it in to a dealer and likely won't. OP posted 03-13-2017, 09:52 PM about a brake problem. Someone advised not more than an hour later that Larry (Igofar) would love to help another forum member out... Larry goes basically ignored this entire thread and OP spends $900 and has a box of old parts literally 30 days later??? (04-12-2017, 11:43 PM) Seems to me a quick private phone call from someone willing to do what it takes to help out would have been much quicker and much less expensive!

Larry, I had this issue on my '06 and got some help here a couple years ago. If my '07 ever does this I'll be sure to PM you my cell #!!! My buddy took his to work even though the rear is dragging so bad he can't back it out of the driveway sometimes. I sent him a link to this very thread and I really hope he contacts you! Guys like Larry make this forum one of the best there are.

Lary13-2017, 09:52 PM
One thing to remember is he took it to the shop first so they had it in their possession. At that point, you have to let them do their thing or pull it out.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I read "pull out" at least three times. Glad it's all sorted for the OP but more glad of guys like Larry. If that were my bike I would have pulled it. I have mechanics in the family and not a single one of them has ever been so stumped they said "here, take my parts of my XXX.." Not bashing OP at all, just saying it's great to have guys like Larry. Brakes.... there is no "well they sorta work..."

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I read "pull out" at least three times. Glad it's all sorted for the OP but more glad of guys like Larry. If that were my bike I would have pulled it. I have mechanics in the family and not a single one of them has ever been so stumped they said "here, take my parts of my XXX.." Not bashing OP at all, just saying it's great to have guys like Larry. Brakes.... there is no "well they sorta work..."
I agree.. It would have hopefully ended sooner had the issue been posted on the site prior to taking to the dealer. Not everyone is as comfortable with doing their own maint. I wasn't when I first started riding but fine with it now and some folks just have more important things to do than wrenching.. I do wish Honda handn't made the braking system so involved. When it works, it works quite well but as the bikes are getting older we will see more of these issues pop up.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Wow, thanks for the kinds words! In the words of Sheldon (off big bang theory) "With great power comes great responsibility" :call:
While I agree with Mellow on the brake system working well, I will have to respectfully disagree with them not working well as the bikes get older. The bikes don't change, this is more likely from neglect, or failing to do the maintenance, like you said, some folks just have more important things to do than wrenching, and you can't blame the bikes for that.
I have owned and ridden Indian's and Harley's from the 30's and 40's, that still worked as designed (within their design of course) :rofl1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Now somebody get the OP to ship me those parts so I can figure out what the real story was :rofl1:

While I agree with Mellow on the brake system working well, I will have to respectfully disagree with them not working well as the bikes get older. The bikes don't change, this is more likely from neglect, or failing to do the maintenance, like you said, some folks just have more important things to do than wrenching, and you can't blame the bikes for that.
If you can do the work...

Or can find a shop that can do the work...

And can afford the money to pay the shop to do the work...

Once a year not once every two years...

And dont ride in the rain or on dirt roads very much.

Im thinking that means half of these bikes are going to have issues!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Your overthinking this. Of the dozens of Secondary Master cylinders I have installed or replaced, not a one has ever come back with any further issues (other than simple flush/bleed or pad replacement.
You just have to get your bike set up correctly, then do the maintenance, to keep it running well.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
After replacing my pads I have a similar problem. However I have narrowed it down some. After cleaning pistons and pushing them back, I installed everything and the wheel was spinning nicely. With the ST still on the centerstand, I activated the brake pedal a few times and wheel is no longer spinning so freely. Can't be the SMC as I only activated the brake pedal. So, I removed the pad closest to the piston - fairly easy but the other pad still drags a lot. My conclusion is that the sliding pins aren't working properly. What else could it be? I cleaned both of them and added some silicone grease. I am not super impressed how the bracket slides...So maybe I need a new bracket (I replaced one pin plus the rubber boot). Could it be that the hole in the bracket has corroded beyond repair? I tried cleaning it with fine sandpaper before applying grease, but it must be lack of smooth gliding since the problem persist with only the right rear pad...

Any ideas?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm a bit late to this thread - glad the OP (Dan) got this sorted. I would be really interested in the dissection verdict if Larry ever manages to get hold of the parts that caused the problem.

Can't be the SMC as I only activated the brake pedal.
That is not a correct assumption. When the brake pedal is pressed, it activates the rear centre piston via one line. However, via another line, it also pumps fluid to the centre piston of the front callipers, and the same line also feeds fluid into the SMC, behind the main 'plunger' (the primary seal). When the bike is stationary, this pressure pushes fluid past the primary seal and activates the two outer pistons of the rear calliper - just as if the SMC had been activated. If there is an issue with the SMC not returning properly, this pressure from the SMC cannot be released. One trick is to find out which piston is clamping the pads - put a strip of paper between the back of the pad and each piston to see which one is still pressed firmly against the disk pads. Don't forget to remove the paper afterwards !

So, I removed the pad closest to the piston - fairly easy but the other pad still drags a lot. My conclusion is that the sliding pins aren't working properly. What else could it be? I cleaned both of them and added some silicone grease. I am not super impressed how the bracket slides...So maybe I need a new bracket (I replaced one pin plus the rubber boot). Could it be that the hole in the bracket has corroded beyond repair?
This is revealing. That hole that the pin slides in is a good bit larger than the pin. There are two pins and two holes. One pin is on the calliper, one pin is on the bracket. It is physically possible to appear to have the calliper on the bracket when only one of the pins is properly mated. At least, I managed to do it once. If the hole has corroded, that would be a heck of a lot of corrosion. Get a drill bit of the appropriate size and turn it by hand to ream it out. It could be muck in there. Or its possible that the pin is bent/cross threaded.
Its also possible that you/someone has used too much grease - recently or in the past. Old grease in the hole will stop the pin from sliding to the bottom. New grease could create an air lock and air pressure keeps the pads against the disc rotor.
Also possible is that roof spring in the calliper. They have an odd design which allows them to be fitted the wrong way round. Take a look at it. The narrow spring strip which rests on top of the pads should be on the inner side of the calliper - ie resting on top of the pads which are closest to the centre of the wheel and furthest away from the pistons. This is crucial. If the narrow strip is at the other side, than as the pads wear down, the pistons move out and the pad gets pushed away from the spring and this can then interefere with the braking.
Also on the narrow strip are two tiny tabs which protrude. The innermost pad is supposed to sit behind these tabs so that the pad cannot move across to the disc rotor. If care isn't taken when inserting the pads, they can be bent over - again interfering with the brakes.

Take the other set of pads out. Take the spring out (and before you lose it, remove the clip at the far end of the calliper - where the brake pad tab sits). That rear clip should have a ridge on it. If you have pads which do not have a notch at the tab end, then the pads and calliper will not be bale to move across. With no brake pads and no springs, that calliper should move across easily if both pins are mated in their holes. If not, check the holes are clear. Then check that the pins are in line. If all is OK, then you need to look seriously at the mounting of the pins on the calliper and on the bracket - and check for cracks.

Take a look at my 'ST1300 Brakes -Avoiding the Pitfalls'. Its not definitive, but it highlights most of the problems with brakes and it has some pictures to illustrate much of the above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom