Back-up ring orientation.

Blew the left fork seal trailering last year. I know, I know...shoulda been riding it. I have 47K miles on the odd but only 5K are mine. Thought I'd just go ahead and put in new bushings, ring, seal and dusters. Also did the left brake bearing.

Anyway, I am doing one side at a time but would like to get the left one done before tackling the right...just in case. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying enough attention to the orientation of the back-up ring during dissembly. Now that I am putting things together, I see that one side of the ring is convex and the other flat.

Am I correct to assume that the "domed" face should be next to the oil-seal and the "flat" side against the bushing-guide?

Any help much appreciated because I haven't figured out how to search this site yet. Thanks.

Super

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I can't tell from the parts fiche. I'd just go ahead and do the right fork and take note of the orientation of that ring.

OP
OP
After doing a little more searching I came across the answer. The "chamfered"...domed...side of the backup ring (51412-KZ3-003) definitely should face the Guide Bushing (51414-MCH-003). The sharper, flat side of the ring must face the oil-seal (oil-seal as a part of 51490-MCA-003). Thanks to all those participating and a heads-up for those seeking an answer for the same question.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16118

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've taken mine apart several times and didn't remember which way it was supposed to go and just guessed. Like you, I think I guessed that the rounded edge should face the fork seal and the flat side goes metal-to-metal, so mine's probably upside down. Since all it does is create a flat surface above the bushing for the seal to sit on, I suspect its not really critical which way its installed, but next time I'm in there I'll try to remember flat side up. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom