Dead Bike

Bike
92 ST1100
kiltman, thanks for the clarification, as I had CRS and couldn't remember for sure;). IIRC, my 92 ST was at the 15.2v on occasion. Unfortunately, even at that high vol. charge rate, one has to presume manufacturer is assuming a lot of voltage drawing farkles are going to be added:).

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
When the bike first came out, I don't think Honda anticipated the degree in which accessories were to be added. The police model had a larger heatsinc on the rectifier but that was about it. The first generation ABS added some potential current draw. The oil cooling style of alternator with an outboard regulator/alternator was designed to charge at that high rate. Possibly Honda got the message that folk were adding power consuming lights and heated gear and something needed to change. The Gen II ABS possibly also drew more current and an upgrade was apparent. All conjecture on my part. This bike was designed in the late 80's to fit a niche market, basically remained unchanged except for GenII ABS, larger forks and front tire for GenII ABS, larger alternator and some cosmetic pieces in the Tupperware to allow better access to the rear shock. It had a good run from 1990-2002 (2003 Police model)

Bike
ST1100
I am actually having a very similar problem at the moment. turn key and bike is dead. I have a new battery and the red plug looks a little melty but still no where near as bad as I've seen on other peoples posts. I have been probing with the multi metre and I believe I have an earth on the Red/black wire after the key and before the fuse block. Any idea what that could be?

Bike
1997 ST1100
Benny. I had similar characteristics on my 97. The clock would show the time but as soon as to turned on the ignition, it went blank and no other indication or power. My starter relay connection was very "melty". Time for the "Red Wire Bypass" my friend. Even if it's not too bad now, it will get worse.

Edited to add some pics. The first is a pic of my starter relay connector in November of 2015. The second was September of 2016, before I did the Red Wire Bypass. At the time of that picture, the bike was dead as a hammer. Third picture is post RWB operation. The ST has been running great since.Start Relay Conn Nov 2015 - 8x6.jpgStarter_Relay8X6.jpgRed Wire Bypass8X6.jpg

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I am actually having a very similar problem at the moment. turn key and bike is dead. I have a new battery and the red plug looks a little melty but still no where near as bad as I've seen on other peoples posts. I have been probing with the multi metre and I believe I have an earth on the Red/black wire after the key and before the fuse block. Any idea what that could be?
the red/black wire goes to the fuse block, via a brown wire which goes to the bank angle sensor, tail lights and starter.
i strongly suggest by replacing the red connector first with individual spade connectors, then continue to troubleshoot the grounding issue.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
'Modern' batteries don't usually warn you with signs of fatigue prior to going into the west. You just hop on/in at a critical point in your schedule and they are dead in bed.
Seriously....follow the good advice above. Plus, check your connections at the battery, main fuse, and alternator for signs of overheating. This will be melted insulation or connector.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
So, mm847....how did this come out?

It sure sounded like either a ground problem or a weak battery to me, but I always think it is good to hear what the final outcome so that we can all learn from the experiences of others.

Bike
ST1100
Thank you for the advise guy. I cut the red wire and ran it through a fuse to the battery now my bike is lighting up like a christmas tree. Now comes the lonf part of bolting the panels back on.20170413_164615.jpg

Bike
VStrom 650
Thank you for the advise guy. I cut the red wire and ran it through a fuse to the battery now my bike is lighting up like a christmas tree. Now comes the lonf part of bolting the panels back on.20170413_164615.jpg
The good news about the plastics is that it gets quicker with plastic.
By the picture I would say Australia can be a little dusty.
Happy screwing....
Upt'North.

Top Bottom