The ride to Totality (Solar Eclipse)

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Re: The ride to Totality

Plan to do an easy ride early up to the Kansas City area & wait. Then a short ride N/W to HIAWATHA, Ks., which will be RIGHT under the T.E. Path, per the Tracker Map.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Total Eclipse

I'm a member of the SAS, Spokane Astronomical Society. But, for eclipse info, you should visit:
http://www.mreclipse.com

"The path of a total eclipse can cross any part of Earth. Even the North and South Poles get a total eclipse sooner or later. Just one total eclipse occurs each year or two."

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Re: Total Eclipse

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones??? I'm about 10 miles from the direct path. I hear it's gonna get nuts with people around here. I kinda find it hard to believe there will be such a turn out of folks to witness something no more than a dark storm cloud passing over for 2:38. I say......Hail to Ra!!! Haha!! :D

OP
OP
cornSTalk
Bike
2004 ST1300

As long as the weather is going to be good I am planning on southern Illinois. The Shawnee National Forest hopefully will be more isolated from all the madness. Then again, fewer roads translates into longer lines. Dixon Springs SP is my first choice.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Brenda and I are taking the Miata up to north GA the day before. We are staying at Vinny's place which is about 45 minutes south of The Line.

Bike
2012 ST1300

Already told the job don't look for me on that day :p: With the path it's taking through Nebraska I'm not sure where I'll end up watching it, plenty of places where it should last 2:30. I've heard they're expecting 30 to 40K people down around Beatrice!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Solar Eclipse Monday August 21, 2017 afternoon

On August 21, 2017 a total eclipse of the sun will be visible from within a narrow corridor that traverses the United States. The path of the moon's umbral shadow begins in the northern Pacific and crosses the U.S. from west to east through parts of the following states: Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, and South Carolina. The moon's penumbral shadow produces a partial eclipse visible from a much larger region covering most of North America.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/total-eclipse-of-sun-august-21-2017

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Solar Eclipse Monday August 21, 2017 afternoon

Merge into the others?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Re: Solar Eclipse Monday August 21, 2017 afternoon

Wow, we're having an eclipse? I'd not heard that. ;)

Bike
04 ST1300
Eclipse 2017

Anyone in the Chicagoland and southeastern Wisconsin area interested in doing a day trip to the carbondale area for the eclipse. I plan on leaving my house in lake Zurich around
4 am to get to carbondale by 10 am. I will take a one hour break for coffee and gas. It will be all interstate riding. Then head back after the event is over around 2pm.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
As long as the weather is going to be good I am planning on southern Illinois. The Shawnee National Forest hopefully will be more isolated from all the madness. Then again, fewer roads translates into longer lines. Dixon Springs SP is my first choice.
I plan to camp out somewhere in the Shawnee National Forest (primitive camping, aka: "dispersed camping"). I have a feeling all the parks will be full. PM and we can exchange numbers if you'd like to meet up somewhere in So. Illinois.

Wow, we're having an eclipse? I'd not heard that. ;)
Paul, I plan to ride out on Saturday and camp overnight on the way so I can arrive in Southern Illinois early-ish on Sunday so I have time to scope out a "dispersed" campsite. You and/or Greg are welcome to tag along if you have the time free. :)

OP
OP
cornSTalk
Bike
2004 ST1300
I plan to camp out somewhere in the Shawnee National Forest (primitive camping, aka: "dispersed camping"). I have a feeling all the parks will be full. PM and we can exchange numbers if you'd like to meet up somewhere in So. Illinois.

Wife and I are heading down on Sunday and have a motel room at Mt. Vernon, In. for the night. Rooms were very hard to come by even a month ago. Will head out Monday morning for Dixon Springs SP. I'm going to try to get there as early as I can. I will PM you next Thursday so we can make connections if you know where you will be headed.

Dave

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Wife and I are heading down on Sunday and have a motel room at Mt. Vernon, In. for the night. Rooms were very hard to come by even a month ago. Will head out Monday morning for Dixon Springs SP. I'm going to try to get there as early as I can. I will PM you next Thursday so we can make connections if you know where you will be headed.

Dave

Sounds good.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Anyone else from here planning on being at the Best Viewing spot on the Cherohala Skyway? I expect to arrive around noon, with luck.

Plan is to overnight Sunday at a campsite in VA, arrive from the NC end Monday and depart toward the TN end, headed for a campground about 125 miles away for Monday evening.

Top Bottom