dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Coolant getting in oil

Well at least in my mind if the tech was performing a full service and going through everything it would include removing and flushing the radiator. I would expect that.

I hope he remembered to refill the coolant before starting it and overheating it before the test ride. That might warp the heads or even crack the block.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Be sure to request that he save and return any parts, gaskets or supplies he uses during the repair. His cam removal method seems unusual and looks like a short cut. Wondering if this method any have caused a cracked head. The oil definitely has coolant in it. I would not suspect a water pump seal. If it wasn't leaking when it went in odds of it developing this problem without "help" from the technician are highly unlikely.

Chuck

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

More pics. What is the round thing in the 4th picture that looks damaged?
That's the fitting on the radiator where the cap attaches. It looks fine.

The first and fifth pictures do not bode well. If that much coolant is reaching the exhaust, my guess would be that something is allowing it directly into the cylinder and what's in the oil sump is blowing by the rings during combustion. It's more likely the top end than the bottom since it would take a combined failure of the block and a cylinder liner to dump coolant into both the combustion chamber and the sump. The top end is suspect because it was just disassembled. Either way, the engine's going to need a good clean-out after you figure out what went wrong.

Before you dump a lot of cash into repairs, it might be worth investigating replacing the entire engine with a used one. There are a carload of them on eBay at very reasonable prices, which is a pretty good indication that they're similarly-available on the salvage market. A wholesale swap might end up costing you less than repairs and is more likely to remain in good condition if the donor was last assembled by the factory. An engine from a 2007 model would be an ideal replacement, but a 2006, 2005 or possibly a 2004 would work, too. Don't get anything later than 2008, as there were changes to the FI system and I don't know if anything else in the engine changed.

--Mark

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
Cracked Cylinder

I posted last week about water in oil.

Motor has been torn down - cylinder is cracked and piston and head are damaged.

Bike is 2007 and looking to source a replacement engine. Someone previously posted that engines from later model year bikes might not be compatible. Looking for that info again.

Thanks,

Nick

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Re: Cracked Cylinder

There are several posted on eBay, in the $450-$800 range. No idea of their condition or the reliability of the sellers.

Bike
2005 BMW RT

Nick, Pinwall Cycle Parts is a few miles from my house. They buy totaled bikes and part them out. They have a 2007 engine, but the pictures show the engine without heads. Price $427.45.
They are easy to find on the internet. Contact me if I can be any help.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300

At this point - my primary concern is whether an '09 or '12 motor will plug n play -- or, if I need to make sure and find an '07 to match?

Thanks for any help. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300

Nick, Pinwall Cycle Parts is a few miles from my house. They buy totaled bikes and part them out. They have a 2007 engine, but the pictures show the engine without heads. Price $427.45.
They are easy to find on the internet. Contact me if I can be any help.
Thanks...

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

It is obvious that a foreign object entered the cylinder and was caught in a "0" clearance area of the combustion chamber. The dent impression looks to be the same size and shape as a valve shim. After seeing the pictures in the previous thread where he had the cams twisted out of position, spark plugs out and no rags blocking the holes It's very likely (and unfortunate) one of the adjusting shims fell down the plug hole. That fully explains why there was no issue when it went into the shop and why there was coolant in the oil. Is he covering all of the costs? Save all of the old parts. You may need a second opinion.

Chuck

I posted last week about water in oil.

Motor has been torn down - cylinder is cracked and piston and head are damaged.

Bike is 2007 and looking to source a replacement engine. Someone previously posted that engines from later model year bikes might not be compatible. Looking for that info again.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I'm sure you could use the starter, alternator and even the throttlebodies are the same part number from 07 to 12, so I would think that any year would work, just make sure you use the rest of your electrical parts (ECM, wireharness, etc) over and above the basic engine.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

It is obvious that a foreign object entered the cylinder and was caught in a "0" clearance area of the combustion chamber. The dent impression looks to be the same size and shape as a valve shim. After seeing the pictures in the previous thread where he had the cams twisted out of position, spark plugs out and no rags blocking the holes It's very likely (and unfortunate) one of the adjusting shims fell down the plug hole. That fully explains why there was no issue when it went into the shop and why there was coolant in the oil. Is he covering all of the costs? Save all of the old parts. You may need a second opinion.

Chuck

I totally agree - the impression left by the foreign object looks like a valve shim. Had to happen during a valve adjustment.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

A valve shim in the combustion chamber never crossed my mind when I first looked at the damaged surfaces, but I gotta agree with CruSTy's diagnosis on this. Makes total sense. Now to figure out how to get the shop to pay for their mistake.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Chuck
+1 - bike had zero issues going into the shop... needs new motor coming out... that doesn't just happen. Might need a lawyer.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the input. I will update as soon as I have more information.

Looks like my trip to Colorado in June is scrapped....

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
Definitely the impression of a valve shim.

Mistakes happen, Shop needs to see this for what it is and replace your engine with a like (Mileage) unit.

Keith

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I'm thinking it may be a good ideal to run a magnetic pick up tool in the plug holes before finishing it up when doing a shim change. Just sayin.

Bike
09 ST1300
+1 there is no doubt in my mind that is the exact shape of a valve shim. very unfortunate but could easily happen to anyone. This is unfortunately the hard way to learn about the importance of stuffing exposed openings with rags....
I don't see why a newer engine would not plug and play, I believe the ecm underwent a change somewhere around 08, but not sure if any mechanical changes where made to engine with this change.

Top Bottom