Coolant getting in oil / Cracked Cylinder

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I have been following this post and actually feel your pain. I would do the same thing, but not try to salvage your ride with as much passion as you have. After it came back from "super mechanic", It would have gone on to be the problem of the dealership, and I would have a new flavor to start loving. Maybe another ST in your future? There are some reasonable offers out there, but I get that a trade in would take you bike off your hands. I rode a new FJR at demo days here and wow, if I didn't have my awesome ST, that I what I would have. Best of luck with your dealings.

ausbass

Richard Douglas
Bike
Suzuki V-Strom DL100
Re: Cracked Cylinder

Have you looked at the rings. Looks like the end of a broken ring has been indented in the head photo.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Have you looked at the rings. Looks like the end of a broken ring has been indented in the head photo.
Correct diagnosis happened at post #32. Very long and interesting thread but sad reading.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
The Happy Ending - Out with the Old, In with the New

I got up early and hit the road a 5:00 am this past Saturday, and rode the ST 275 miles into the neighboring state to ink a deal I'd put together over the phone last Friday for a new bike. I really wasn't that excited about it until I got there, and actually saw the new bike in person.

After signing the paperwork, and going over the electronics with the delivery tech, I set off for home: this would be the first time I'd ever ridden an FJR of any year...

I gotta say - all the sentimental angst I had for the ST disappeared before I was out of sight of the dealership. The FJR is lighter and more powerful, and after 10 years on the ST, it felt positively flickable. The factory electronic cruise control is a much bigger deal than I imagined - its awesome. I'm so glad I didn't by a Concours, for that feature alone. Made it home and did the 1st oil change with 300 miles on the clock.

Thanks again to everyone that has been following this thread! I'll see you on the road and on the forums!

Attachments

I have been following your saga through all 19 pages and admire your fortitude and sense of "being fair" regarding the mistakes that can happen to even "master" mechanics... indeed you have suffered more than just the damage done to the bike as you mention... your decision to put an end to this "chapter" and to wipe the slate clean & begin a new chapter brings a sense of relief!... sincere best of luck in your new quest... you certainly deserve such!!!

Wow!... so glad I just read your new post #185 and see that you have made the switch to the FJR...many safe miles on your new bike & may ALL MAINTENANCE ON YOUR NEW FJR BE EPISODE FREE!!!!!:bow1::03biker:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Great for you! I have a hunch, you won't let you previous mechanic anywhere near it! Chunk. :bannana:bannana

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like you made a great deal on a great new ride. The cruise control on the Yamaha is so nice!! Enjoy your new ride and I hope you perform all of the maintenance yourself. Love the blue FJR.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Good for you! I test drove a FJR last year at Americade. Incredible bike, had a very "solid" feel to it when driving. I bought an st instead thinking the extra power of the FJR would get me in trouble.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats on your new ride, beautiful bike!
Would be sadistically funny if the oil leak was just from the valve cover gasket (easily remedied).
Maybe just as well, because there is a good chance the next owner of that bike will end up on this forum asking for some help~

Top Bottom