Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If he talks to me before his next oil change he will :rolleyes:

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
Yes. I'll cut open the filter again at the next change. Planning to do it in a few hundred miles.

Also -- I changed my mind. The knock is still there, as is the buzz in the handlebars at speed. . Now I'm thinking it's the clutch. If I pull in the lever, it's less, but doesn't go away entirely.... Wondering about the water pump too. The weep line is dripping a drop or two after each ride.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
Update -

Put 300 miles on the bike this past weekend, and scowled the whole way. The bike is just not right.... Nothing was going my way -- Even my new Zumo 595 (POS compared to my old 450) & Sena set-up was refusing to work right. Believe it or not, I also found a hole in the rear tire (100 miles on it) and had to plug it before I left for the weekend. It's just one thing after the next. Bike is starting to seem cursed...

Several observations:

1.) Shifting is still not right - had several false neutrals - and it even popped out of gear a couple times. (Related to Clutch Issues somehow?)

2.) Engine Vibration is definitely not within any normal range. I never used to have numb hands. The vibs actually move around between the left handlebar, right handlebar, and the pegs depending on fuel load (changing harmonics).

3.) Found a station with 93 octane and put in almost a full tank (6 gallons). Vibration seemed somewhat less - but might just have been the difference between full and empty fuel tank.

4.) Fuel consumption seems higher. I did average 48mpg running a full tank on secondary roads at 60-65mph (adjusted for speedo-healer's impact on odometer). But, on the freeway at 80mph, mileage seems to suffer more than it used to.

4.) If I rev the motor in the garage up to 5K, and then snap the throttle closed, there is a loud PFFFSSST sound. Almost like a blow-off valve from a turbo. Seems to come from right side cylinder head. Therefore: I now suspect a vacuum leak??, which would explain the sound, vibration and "hammering" under load. (running too lean / detonation???).

In addition to all of this, the clutch basket rattle is much worse than the original motor, and the water pump is weeping. There is a definite "heart beat" in the bars coming from this area, so I'm thinking something is worn or damaged. Who knows what could have happened when the bike that the motor came from was wrecked....

Bottom line -- I think there is more than one issue going on...

I'm planning to start the process of stripping down the bike to hunt for a potential vacuum leak at the 5-way, and/or the Throttle Body insulators after work tonight. I'm going to go ahead and pull all the plastic again, and the fuel tank, front wheel, etc. From there, I'll drop the oil and pull the engine cover to re-build the water pump, bearings, and replace the clutch, springs, bearing, Judder Spring, etc.

On top of that, I'm planning to replace the plugs, plug wires, the thermostat, and various water and vacuum hoses, clamps etc. while I'm in there. My parts list is up to $600+ including the water pump parts, complete clutch kit, Wires and Caps, new TB insulators, etc., etc. etc. Haven't actually placed the order yet.... At this point, I'm assuming nothing was previously done, or done correctly - so I'm going to have check the valves for myself too. (Never done that for any bike, and I don't even own a set of feeler gauges -- so that will be a fun experience).

So much for my riding season. This is probably the end of it given work/kids/and Minnesota's very short summer/fall..... If I ever get it all back together and its still not right -- I'll be done with it.

:(

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
You have the patience of Job. I could not live with this bike. I would get rid of it, no matter the price as it would not be possible for me to ever like this bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am impressed with all that you have done wrenching on this bike. If nothing else, consider yourself a first rate mechanic.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
I am impressed with all that you have done wrenching on this bike. If nothing else, consider yourself a first rate mechanic.
Thanks, but that is definitely not the case. I feel very much over my head. I'm learning (and buying tools) as I go.

Last night, I pulled the plastics, fuel tank and airbox and got down to the TB. Didn't get much further than that - but did find the isolator bands were over-tightened all the way to the stops, rather than gapped to 7mm as indicated in the manual. I backed the bands all the way loose, and left them to rest overnight before I re tighten. Can't see all the lower bands on the cylinder head - the two I could see did not appear over-tightened. Planning to run it with the airbox off and see if I can find any leaks before i go any further.

Bike
VStrom 650
Stick with it friend, "God loves a Trier".
If nothing else you will know the b.....d thing inside out.
Hope it works out soon.
Upt'North.

Bike
09 ST1300
Maybe pop the valve covers and front crank shaft plug to turn the engine and verify the firing order is correct. I know it is possible on this engine if cams are removed that if they are not timed as per specific sequence in manual that the engine will still run, but firing order is changed, and lots of vibration ensues. It has been documented somewhere on here.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like your making progress, good find on the over-tightened bands! I would also replace all the injector rubber hoses as well.
If this guy said he did a TB sync before he did all this work, its a moot point, and has to be re-done again now.
You may also want to check to see if the spark plug caps are in the correct position, I have found a couple bikes that the dealerships switched the number 2 and number 4 plug caps causing them to fire at the same time, causing strange vibrations also.
Call me if you need anything.
Larry

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
You may also want to check to see if the spark plug caps are in the correct position, I have found a couple bikes that the dealerships switched the number 2 and number 4 plug caps causing them to fire at the same time, causing strange vibrations also.
Doesn't matter Larry, both plugs fire at the same time on each bank with the design of this coil...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Doesn't matter Larry, both plugs fire at the same time on each bank with the design of this coil...
I thought that might be the case, every other bike I've owned has fired both plugs at the same time, but I don't have a 1300.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I thought that might be the case, every other bike I've owned has fired both plugs at the same time, but I don't have a 1300.
Yes that is quite correct for V engines with a 360 degree crank where the pistons rise and fall in pairs (ST's and early VF's) but not the VFR750-800, because they have a 180 degree crank and all the pistons and so need 4 separate coils. I dare say a cross-plane crank R1/MT10 will have the same.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
Update

As Larry mentioned, I did find the TB isolator bands over tightened, and setting the proper tension did seem to help. Idle seems a bit lower, but now also hunts a bit, which makes sense if there was a leak going on while the starter valves were synced... Now that the leak is gone, they need to be re-synced.... I actually think the bike is 90% fine at this point. It doesn't have the Plugs wires reversed. The Cam-Timing isn't screwed up. It got 48MPG on the last tank of gas and ran strong out to redline in top gear. The vibration problem I'm chasing is likely a small vacuum leak, and maybe a worn clutch or waterpump bearing. I'm sensitive.

That said, I never placed my big parts order for the Waterpump or Clutch parts, and I didn't even bother to replace any of the TB hoses, as I couldn't detect any leaks there using propane, only around #2 isolator. I am giving up on fixing it, because, of all the other unknowns, and because I just found yet another problem....

The head gasket is leaking oil near the #3 exhaust port. That is the last straw....

I put the tank and plastics back on, buttoned it up and am now planning to trade it in... Found a brand new, leftover 2016 FJR with the new 6-Speed and factory cruise control discounted $3,000 off MSRP nearby. I like the styling of the Concours better, but no cruise, and not enough range. I actually wish the FJR had another 2 gallons capacity; nothing matches the ST for range short of a GS Adventure - which I can't afford. And I don't want a twin anyway this go-round.

SO, I might just ride my ST into the nearby dealer blind this coming Saturday morning and see if I can make a knee-jerk deal. Sadly, I'm not all that excited about it. Honestly, I feel like Old Yeller got mauled by a Bear, and now I have to shoot him.

Not only did the "mechanic" destroy my bike and deprive me of a 10 day riding vacation, I actually lost most of an entire riding season - and he took away any enjoyment I might find in the search for a new bike.... I think I should send him an invoice for about $25K: the reduced Value of my ST + the Cost of a new bike + Pain and Suffering. The whole reason I sent my bike to this guy was to get quality service because I planned to keep the ST for another 10 years lacking anything on the market worth upgrading too. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Life goes on. The sooner I get a new bike in the stable, the sooner I can put this all behind me and forget about it entirely. :cool:

Thanks to all for your comments and support. Don't buy an `07 ST1300 if the VIN ends in 500501.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Update

As Larry mentioned, I did find the TB isolator bands over tightened, and setting the proper tension did seem to help. Idle seems a bit lower, but now also hunts a bit, which makes sense if there was a leak going on while the starter valves were synced... Now that the leak is gone, they need to be re-synced.... I actually think the bike is 90% fine at this point. It doesn't have the Plugs wires reversed. The Cam-Timing isn't screwed up. It got 48MPG on the last tank of gas and ran strong out to redline in top gear. The vibration problem I'm chasing is likely a small vacuum leak, and maybe a worn clutch or waterpump bearing. I'm sensitive.

That said, I never placed my big parts order for the Waterpump or Clutch parts, and I didn't even bother to replace any of the TB hoses, as I couldn't detect any leaks there using propane, only around #2 isolator. I am giving up on fixing it, because, of all the other unknowns, and because I just found yet another problem....

The head gasket is leaking oil near the #3 exhaust port. That is the last straw....

I put the tank and plastics back on, buttoned it up and am now planning to trade it in... Found a brand new, leftover 2016 FJR with the new 6-Speed and factory cruise control discounted $3,000 off MSRP nearby. I like the styling of the Concours better, but no cruise, and not enough range. I actually wish the FJR had another 2 gallons capacity; nothing matches the ST for range short of a GS Adventure - which I can't afford. And I don't want a twin anyway this go-round.

SO, I might just ride my ST into the nearby dealer blind this coming Saturday morning and see if I can make a knee-jerk deal. Sadly, I'm not all that excited about it. Honestly, I feel like Old Yeller got mauled by a Bear, and now I have to shoot him.

Not only did the "mechanic" destroy my bike and deprive me of a 10 day riding vacation, I actually lost most of an entire riding season - and he took away any enjoyment I might find in the search for a new bike.... I think I should send him an invoice for about $25K: the reduced Value of my ST + the Cost of a new bike + Pain and Suffering. The whole reason I sent my bike to this guy was to get quality service because I planned to keep the ST for another 10 years lacking anything on the market worth upgrading too. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Life goes on. The sooner I get a new bike in the stable, the sooner I can put this all behind me and forget about it entirely. :cool:

Thanks to all for your comments and support. Don't buy an `07 ST1300 if the VIN ends in 500501.
I've followed your saga with great interest.
If I were in your shoes I would do exactly what you plan to do.
It's a really sad story. I hope the gods smile on you and give you a smoking deal on a new-to-you bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
+1. Life's too short. I typed "sell it" many days ago, but thought it too direct so I didn't post it.

Let us know how the dealing goes! :)

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am with you on this. I would not trust this bike now and would do the same thing, trade it in and let someone else deal with the bike. Good luck on the trade in and finding a bike that works for you.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I had a 2007 FJR and a 2007 ST1300 at the same time. The FJR is a wonderful machine from an engineering perspective but it just was not the fit, for me, so I sold it. I don't know how anyone could make a better bike than the Honda ST1300. I plan to change bikes again but only to go from a silver ST1300 to a red ST1300.

Bike
VStrom 650
I've got a pal who bought a 2016 FJR new last spring.
He likes it and it's a very capable two up tourer.
Re fuel capacity, who cares, 200 miles is time for a coffee in my book.
Enjoy it, you deserve it. Also I think a GS adventure would be an adventure too far!
Upt'North.

Top Bottom