Ride-On LED Smart cap

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Neat idea, but the most important part of a TPMS is to let you know during a ride that that next curve may not work out how you think...

Bike
2005 st1300
I always wonder how factual Amazon reviews really are.
There is a lot of speculation/talk of how many good reviews are made up by the seller/manufacturer and I dont doubt it and am usually skeptical myself. I think that the bad reviews carry a lot more weight. A seller isnt going to make up bad reviews. If I see a lot of complaints, I will usually move on. I also agree with Playfair... one needs to be warned immediately when there is an issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Plus what is the price? Better than nothing but if not much more to do it right then why not do it right.
As cheap as $35 and as much as $85. I did check out the Ride-on website and it would appear there are several versions.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
They're better than nothing but nowhere near as useful as a real-time TPMS. I'd spend the additional $150 or so to get a real-time TPMS.

I use the Hawkshead Moto Trak Cruiser 2 and it's the best farkle I've put on my bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Anybody used these?
The big downside for this crowd is that a solo rider during the day will only know the low pressure warning before and after but not during a ride. On the plus side maybe other riders and drivers would get a light show at night. But no actual telemetry.

Years ago GM sold something similar at dealer parts departments. IIRC there was a green stem that showed for good to go and it dropped as air was lost to show a red 'flag'. Clever.

I always wonder how factual Amazon reviews really are.
Some are right on some are way off some are genuine others are fake/shills from interested parties. They're all over the map and you have to break out your fine tooth comb. (No offense to those without hair.)

I think Amz stopped accepting 'sponsored' reviews— the ones that say DISCLAIMER: I accepted a freebie or big discount for a favorable review'. Or words to that effect.

You have to wade through a lot of chaff to find a kernel of truth but it's possible. That's one of the reasons I toss out almost all five star reviews (especially when they'er effusive) and most one star reviews.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
They're better than nothing but nowhere near as useful as a real-time TPMS. I'd spend the additional $150 or so to get a real-time TPMS.

I use the Hawkshead Moto Trak Cruiser 2 and it's the best farkle I've put on my bike.
I'll pay the $35 if you pay the rest of the $150 lol. Of course I am joking, but the Truth is we don't all have $150 to spend on anything other then rent and food. I sometimes feel a lot of people here forget that.

Bike
2005 st1300
Ive always wondered how much these sensors affect the balance. I run beads in my tires and I wonder if they can still compensate for these monitors. Anyone... ??

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ive always wondered how much these sensors affect the balance. I run beads in my tires and I wonder if they can still compensate for these monitors. Anyone... ??
I run Counteract beads with my HawksHead TPMS... no apparent problems and I get good, even tire wear.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
These Ride-On LEDs are stated to weigh around 12g. That should be easily balanced with weights.

Do the instructions of the bead solutions (as in answers not liquid) give a range of effectiveness in weight?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I would make sure the sender's are on the rims/tires during the balancing.

Edit:: I'm referring to using weights, Bmacleod was referring to beads. Yes, I was not clear. semantics.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll pay the $35 if you pay the rest of the $150 lol. Of course I am joking, but the Truth is we don't all have $150 to spend on anything other then rent and food. I sometimes feel a lot of people here forget that.
I understand that a bunch having grown up so dirt poor a buzzard would have brought a sack lunch if he was hungry and coming to my house (We didn't have indoor plumbing either). But the time I had a instant front 'deflate' I could have bought a couple of TPMS systems for what that whole deal cost me. If I had an active TPMS (which I have now - HawksHead), I would've known before it happened and could have avoided a lot of the drama and cost. ;-) Unfortunately, it's kind of like the old Fram commercial - 'Pay me now, or pay me later'. :D It is definitely a piece of kit I would save my money for if you do much distance riding away from the house.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've not noticed any big difference on any of three ST1100s so far, but I don't use beads. Been thinking about it but just have not pulled the trigger cause I go through tires pretty quickly.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've not noticed any big difference on any of three ST1100s so far, but I don't use beads. Been thinking about it but just have not pulled the trigger cause I go through tires pretty quickly.
You'll likely get better mileage with the beads. To quote a friend of mine... pay me now or pay me later! ;)

And, you can reuse the beads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom