Ride-On LED Smart cap

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Phil I use the counteract beads and have reused them a couple of times, I weigh them before I put them back in to make sure it is still 2OZs. I use a spray paint cap or even a small paper cup once the tire is of the rim I set it upright and just roll it back and forth until I have got all the beads in to it. You just have to be careful removing the tire from the rim. After 2 times I replace them. And I buy the beads in bulk from Alltire supply they are far less expensive that way.

https://www.alltiresupply.com/search?type=product&q=counteract

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that link Steve. I'm about out of beads.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
No Phil I put them in once the first bead gets over the rim and before you put the second one on if you know what I mean they are very difficult to get through the valve stem. I have not been able to get any into a tire that way. I recently tried to put them in my wife car tires but had no luck through the valve stem. They sell a device for blowing them in to a valve stem but its $239. I get the 15 or 16 oz size and pre weigh them and put them in labeled zip lock bags.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
The TPMS that have the sender inside the tire hose clamped to the rim, can I use beads with those? I imagine the sending unit would get sandblasted.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The TPMS that have the sender inside the tire hose clamped to the rim, can I use beads with those? I imagine the sending unit would get sandblasted.
Dave - My hunch is you are right - makes perfect sense to me. What I didn't like about the 'internal' sensors was that if the battery dies, you have to break down the tire to replace them.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No Phil I put them in once the first bead gets over the rim and before you put the second one on if you know what I mean they are very difficult to get through the valve stem. I have not been able to get any into a tire that way. I recently tried to put them in my wife car tires but had no luck through the valve stem. They sell a device for blowing them in to a valve stem but its $239. I get the 15 or 16 oz size and pre weigh them and put them in labeled zip lock bags.
Steve - Thanks - that makes perfect sense. My riding buddy Andy uses them and has for a long time. I've just got to get off the seat of 'Do Nothing' and do it! ;-)

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Dave - My hunch is you are right - makes perfect sense to me. What I didn't like about the 'internal' sensors was that if the battery dies, you have to break down the tire to replace them.
A guy here on this site has already sold me his new extra set as soon as he can find them. He says he's going on four years with the original batteries. I can wait a few months until I change tires every four or five years. But if the things are sandblasted into nothing there's no sense trying. Has anyone here tried beads with the internal clap down sensors?

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The beads will always spin out to the inside surface of the tire, and also come to rest on the rubber at the bottom when not moving. If your TPMS is mounted to the inside of the rim, it will get very little interaction with the beads. Mind you, I have no personal experience with TPMS system - I have run beads, both kinds in my MC tires

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil. do you balance with the HawksHead sensor attached? I don't, and no balance problems noticed.
Dean - I actually balance the rim without the tire mounted and haven't done it since I got the Hawkshead.
Here's my theory (why I like the beads idea) -

My experience teaches me that a motorcycle tire wears unevenly during it's life.
So you might start out in balance if you include the tire, but that's about it.
Once you ride a bit, uneven wear gets you out of balance.
Most of the weight is in the rim anyway so that's what I focus on.

Now having said that, I have done no scientific study to prove my theory since I can't seem to get government funding for it ... :D

Bike
2005 st1300
These Ride-On LEDs are stated to weigh around 12g. That should be easily balanced with weights.

Do the instructions of the bead solutions (as in answers not liquid) give a range of effectiveness in weight?
I dont remember if I saw a balance limit when I was looking into it.

Bike
2005 st1300
I've not noticed any big difference on any of three ST1100s so far, but I don't use beads. Been thinking about it but just have not pulled the trigger cause I go through tires pretty quickly.
The beads are reusable as you may not know , but FYI, there are 2 makers of balance beads, Counteract and Dynabeads. They say that the dynabeads are more abrasive and when you go to reuse, there are small rubber particles mixed in with them, making them less effective. I used dynabeads before in a car, so I went with counteract in the ST this time.

Bike
2005 st1300
Now this is really a thread hijack - do you put them after you mount the tire through the valve stem without the core in?
You can do as Steve says and put them in with one bead installed or you can install through the valve stem. I put mine in through 90º valve stems with a tiny hole in it. I didnt think it would go , but it did... very slowly. A real pain, but doable.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Now this is really a thread hijack - do you put them after you mount the tire through the valve stem without the core in?
Hijacks! Not anything new here. Old server, new server, it's all good info.

I mean they are very difficult to get through the valve stem. I have not been able to get any into a tire that way. I recently tried to put them in my wife car tires but had no luck through the valve stem. They sell a device for blowing them in to a valve stem but its $239. I get the 15 or 16 oz size and pre weigh them and put them in labeled zip lock bags.
Yeah.. don't need any fancy device. I use a small funnel with a short (4"?) length of tubing clear vinyl tubing. Remove valve core and stick tubing over valve stem, place funnel into tubing on other end. While left hand holds funnel between thumb and forefinger the right hand pours beads into funnel. They will jam up after the first few go through so my left hand pinkie taps the tubing and makes enough vibration to get them in.

The beads won't hurt the internal TPMS sensor, Couteract even certifies theirs as safe, but they won't go through it either. So if you use the internal sensor (I do) then you will need to put the beads in via the tire rim. Either carefully pull the bead and pour them in or make a little (loose) saran wrap package, with the beads in there. Once the tire starts rolling at speed the saran wrap will unravel and the beads are released.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Phil I use the counteract beads and have reused them a couple of times,

https://www.alltiresupply.com/search?type=product&q=counteract
Those are good prices. Running through the number looks like the 15oz is the best price ratio, 5oz the worst. Yes, buy more then you need. Tire changes in the future, friends needing some, buying a trailer.. it's not like they will go bad sitting still. I bought two 12oz pack on Amazon a few years back, down to maybe 10oz left after trailers and bikes. Next time I need car tires, this is what I am doing.

The $3 Injector bottle kit could be a good solution for placement if you are ordering your beads form here too. Or you could plagiarize the picture and buy one yourself (DIY) for $2, raid the Mrs. kitchen and even less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom