Article [13] ST1300 - Maintenance - Photos of dismantled SMC

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
:plus1:
It would be better to say "any" application of the brakes will cause the SMC to apply pressure to the rear and they will stay applied.

Bike
ST1300
Preparing to swap out the SMC bracket on my bike(2002 ST 1300).Bike showing symptoms of sticking SMC.
Noticed that the bracket is an identical casting to the SMC bracket fitted to my VFR800 vtec.The bore on the VFR bracket is narrower 1/2 inch compared to the ST1300's 14mm.
No history of VFR's suffering the same problems with the SMC as the ST1300.Sort of comparing apples with pears due to the different size bores and different size caliper pistons,but may be of interest to members.
The VFR brackets can be picked up very cheaply on auction sites,handy to have as a spare if your bike needs SMC attention.The smaller bore may be preferable to a sticking piston,a mornings work fitting and bleeding will have you back on the road,allowing time to repair/replace the original SMC.
The VFR SMC bracket that I dismantled had no grease on the plunger assembly and was in good condition.The complete plunger assemblies are identical on both brackets,including the length of the rod.
Any thoughts on grease under the plunger boot slowly absorbing grit,turning into a grinding paste and causing the piston to stick.
Just thought it may be of some interest :shrug2:DSC00347 (Medium).JPGDSC00348.jpg

Bought this bike used from a used bike dealer. Very clean and low mileage. Sold by dealer as a consignment from a snowbird in Florida. Sat in a hot garage for 10 hot humid garage in Florida. I only got to ride it three times in town since September. Very impressed. On Nov. 10th the rear brake locked up and boiled the brake fluid. I slowed into the left turn lane and the engine stalled. The brake hose exploded. Brake fluid spilled out onto the hot exhaust. After I put out the open flame with my riding gloves the rear end cooled off. I rode home with front brakes only at a gingerly 20 mph. I called Honda in California. Technician on phone asked many questions. He told me to take it to the local Honda MC dealer so a certified technician could see and take photos of the rear end. We are approaching one month with bike in shop. Service manager has not heard back from technician or Honda America in California. Filed a complaint with NHTSA. There are three complaints about the '07 rear brake as well as other years. I'm worried and have a lot of $$ tied up in this bike and don't know what to do. These articles are very good but worrisome as well. Honda has a problem and they know it. They are so busy with Takada air bags in the cars they don't even notice this. Any advice would be welcome.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
There are three complaints about the '07 rear brake as well as other years.
Great you reported to NHTSA. Most do not report hence the lack of visibility on this issue. The Gold Wing community did a very good job getting attention to their very similar SMC issue and Honda acted on it.

Brakes dragging could be to do with one of the master cylinders sticking - and doubtless you will get a fair few quoting the SMC to be at fault (particularly since this is posted in an SMC thread), but it could be a whole host of things - pad pins, pad springs, caliper slider pins, corroded caliper pistons, any of the 3 master cylinders (front, rear, secondary) could cause a rear wheel drag, left caliper mounting bolt bearing stuck, incorrect pads fitted at front, ..... etc etc
My technical skills/knowledge pales in comparison to others in here but if the line burst/exploded with brake fluid boiling wouldn't that mean that something is causing the pressure to remain in the lines further upstream from the pads/pins etc in the rear?

Thanks for your analysis.
Service manager at local dealer has no clue. Bike still in their custody since the end of November. No progress at all. I am too busy to get after them right now anyway. A friend who has two BMW's told me that is why he has Beamers. "Those guys (the Honda dealer) don't know what they are doing." I am getting nervous. I have no time, facilities or tools to get into the ST myself. I will keep you posted of any further developments.

I went up to Honda dealer late last Friday afternoon. New service manager told me that his predecessor left for Christmas vacation and did not return. New manager did not know anything about problem. I showed him my bike sitting in the yard behind dealership. He would call Honda about it. Previous manager sent photos to Honda. They claim they never got them. After almost 8 weeks the ball is still not in motion. Have a happy new year.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
itsallabouthim said:
New service manager [claimed] his predecessor left for Christmas vacation and did not return... Previous manager [claimed he] sent photos to Honda. They claim they never got them.
FTFY. Honda may in fact be telling the truth.

Very few people work like they want to earn their pay right up until the end. Those are the type not likely to leave the job without notice.

No record of the work being done on your bike? No paper trail for the new guy to follow? I'd be concerned one or both of the guys weren't being above board. I hope you get everything sort and things start moving forward.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I went up to Honda dealer late last Friday afternoon. New service manager told me that his predecessor left for Christmas vacation and did not return. New manager did not know anything about problem. I showed him my bike sitting in the yard behind dealership. He would call Honda about it. Previous manager sent photos to Honda. They claim they never got them. After almost 8 weeks the ball is still not in motion. Have a happy new year.
2nd Email sent, still standing by the white courtesy :call:
I may be able to explain your brake issues to you as far as what caused it, and how to fix it.
Igofar

(UPDATE)
Contact has been made!
Hold my beer, I got this :rofl1:

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My technical skills/knowledge pales in comparison to others in here but if the line burst/exploded with brake fluid boiling wouldn't that mean that something is causing the pressure to remain in the lines further upstream from the pads/pins etc in the rear?
Boiling would mean moisture in it right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Probably - but not necessarily. DOT 4 will boil, (ie hot enough to turn to gas) but at a much higher temperature - 230 deg C ish, apparently when 'dry'. Over time it absorbs moisture and there is a %ge to indicate when it is wet Approx 4% I think, but google it for the correct value. Whatever it is, 'wet' DOT 4 like this will boil at a much lower temperature - around 155 deg C. They reckon that on average, 2 year old fluid will have this level of moisture absorption. Give it more time and it will absorb even more and the boiling point will get closer to that of water.

This is one of the reasons that the recommended frequency for changing fluid is at least every 2 years. But the build up of moisture, crud and corrosion caused by water is, in my opinion, a much more compelling argument for changing it more frequently than that.

But back to the question about the heated brakes - the heat build up is a symptom of the problem, it's not the problem itself - although once brakes get hot, fluid gets hot and expands and contributes to the problem. There has to be something that is preventing the pads from releasing - no pressure relief, stuck pistons, stuck smc bearings, too much slider pin grease, corrosion in master cylinder pistons, wrong size service kit .........etc. Or the rider is wearing larger boots than usual.
My 84 Goldwing brakes are dragging and binding. I plan on getting an ultrasonic cleaner and cleaning and rebuilding everything I can. Already spent enough money at the dealer and nothing fixed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Houston we have contact....hold my beer, I got this :rofl1:
We may need some assistance in the inspection/repair/bleeding from someone who lives either in Florida, or in a nearby state :rolleyes:
We will have more information tomorrow.
Thanks for any help from the locals in this matter.
Igofar

Dropped by dealer yesterday to look at my ST in the yard behind the shop. Its only been 2 & 1/2 months after all since I got it there. Service manager was told by Honda-California, "Tell the customer to be patient. They are still investigating the problem." One of the reasons I moved to Florida years ago was to ride in the winter season though the traffic is a nightmare of blue hairs looking through their steering wheels while going 20 MPH. Maybe the Emperor is deciding what to do. My dad was in the Marines in WW II. Maybe they are getting back at him though he went home to heaven a long time ago. I was born 6 years after the Bomb. Maybe they are getting even all these years later. Plausible theories have been proposed to me that make sense. Tech told that they can only do what Honda tells them to do. I want to cry.

Bike
07 ST1300A
The securing bolt is set to the correct length at the factory, and the correct length is critical.
Anybody know how to set the correct length? I had to remove the bracket in order to install the new piston service kit and i have a slight rear brake drag since then i.e. rear disc is always a bit hot...

Bike
07 ST1300A
Also note that this SMC is for a 2008 and onward model. I have no idea whether the same measurement is valid for the pre-2008 models. (The calipers and mounting bracket are different.)
Thanks John for the reply, even if we're not sure this measurement is valid I'll have a look in few weeks when I get my motorcycle back from storage. BTW, having a complete spare unit is not a bad idea, I will consider this. Still, 2 questions if you don't mind;

1. Does a post 2008 complete unit (as in your pics) would fit a 2007?
2. Do you know if the internals (piston, seals, spring) of a post 2008 would fit in a 2007?

Thanks.

Dan

Bike
07 ST1300A
BTW, this is what I found for Canadian 2007 ABS model. Item 2 is listed as new part no 06454MCSG03 (previously 06454-MCS-G02) so I begin to get confused. We can't see on the illustration if the body of the SMC gets the new slot design for draining.

SMC_ST1300_2007_ABS.jpg

Top Bottom