Tank bags

Bike
2010 st1300abs
Hello, all of my older bikes were able to accommodate my strap held Eclipse tank bag. I am not sure if it will work on my ST. What tank bags do you guys like for your STs? Do the magnetic bags hold on well to the tank? Do the new strap held bags accommodate the STs frame and tank shape very well?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Good question. 1300 Tank is plastic, no magnetic.

You must have a knock-off 1300 made to look like a Honda ST1300. Guess the Chinese really can duplicate anything.
All the Honda ST1300's have metal tanks.

Magnetic bags work fine. I like the Givi tank-lok system. No scratches, easy to re-fuel and keeps air flowing around so your water bottles don't heat up so much.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All:

I had an exchange by PM with another forum member about tank bags just a week or so ago and so I have clipped it out and inserted it here. Basically, I have always used a tank bag with my previous bikes but I really wanted to check the fit before I bought any new luggage because I was concerned that it wouldn't fit on the ST1300s oddly shaped tank.

It was also important to me that the bag not interfere with the handlebars and controls such as the starter button, horn and turn signal switches - and I have MCL Gen III risers which makes the potential for interference even worse.

After some experimentation, I went with a German-made (i.e. expensive but very high quality) SW-Motech tank bag which mounts using a tank-ring on the fuel filler flange. I got the whole setup from Twisted Throttle who have a distributor here in Canada as well as in the US. I went to their store here in Ontario and was able to test fit the bag so that I could confirm the fit and compatibility with the STs bars and controls. The Motech bags fit fine - no compatibility problems at all.

I have two SW-Motech bags - the smaller "DayPak" and the larger "CITY" model. I find the DayPak to be great for booting around on day trips and commuting because it is small and you can take it into restaurants etc. and the City is good on longer trips because it can hold all of my "minute-by-minute" access stuff like sunglasses, my phone, charger cords etc. and it has a detachable clear top map pocket.

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

The DayPak is small enough that it simply perches on the top of the ST tank while the CITY is quite a bit bigger and it goes from just ahead of the fuel filler to down just about the front of the seat. It is not intrusive at all and in fact, unless you actually look down, you might forget that it is even there until you need it. Both bags have a little cut-out in the front to allow an electrical cable to be led into the interior (for a phone charger for example) and overall, they are very very high quality products.

The tank ring is easy to mount using the stock mounting bolt holes on the top of the ST fuel tank (they provide new hardware) and you do need to get the correct ring for the Honda fuel filler bolt circle spacing.

IMG_0263.jpg

I shot some photos of the City and as you will see, it really drops toward the back which makes it a good fit for the ST1300 fuel tank. There is an even larger model that was designed for the BMW GS model, but I was told that it really does not fit the ST very well and the City was big enough for my purposes. The City tank bag cost about $275 - but it is extremely well made and in my view, worth the money.

The other good option I found is a tail bag - and I have attached a photo of the inexpensive (but very good IMHO) Moto-Centric tail bag that I got from Motorcycle Superstore for about $75 USD. It is mounted on my 1976 Yamaha XS650C which I am restoring (and really enjoying riding too).

IMG_0259.jpg

Pete

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
You must have a knock-off 1300 made to look like a Honda ST1300. Guess the Chinese really can duplicate anything.
All the Honda ST1300's have metal tanks.

Magnetic bags work fine. I like the Givi tank-lok system. No scratches, easy to re-fuel and keeps air flowing around so your water bottles don't heat up so much.
Wow, I just learned I have a Chinese fuel tank :-( Bummed. I had no idea. No sarcasm, I'm bummed. Maybe a lighter tank but, dam!

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Hi All:

I had an exchange by PM with another forum member about tank bags just a week or so ago and so I have clipped it out and inserted it here. Basically, I have always used a tank bag with my previous bikes but I really wanted to check the fit before I bought any new luggage because I was concerned that it wouldn't fit on the ST1300s oddly shaped tank.

After some experimentation, I went with a German-made (i.e. expensive but very high quality) SW-Motech tank bag which mounts using a tank-ring on the fuel filler flange. I got the whole setup from Twisted Throttle who have a distributor here in Canada as well as in the US.

I have two SW-Motech bags - the smaller "DayPak" and the larger "CITY" model. I find the DayPak to be great for booting around on day trips and commuting because it is small and you can take it into restaurants etc. and the City is good on longer trips because it can hold all of my "minute-by-minute" access stuff like sunglasses, my phone, charger cords etc. and it has a detachable clear top map

Pete
Thank you for all the great info. Do you know the price for the smaller tank bag? The mount? Same mount for both bags?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Dave: yup, definitely the same mount (I just shot both of those photos for my post). I just went to the Twisted Throttle website and the prices on SW-Motech bags are much lower in the US. The little one is about $145 USD (which I will admit, ain't cheap - but it will last forever I'm sure).

You also need to factor in the cost of the tank ring which is around $42 I think. They also seem to have just come out with a slightly less expensive line called the Ion Series. Here is a linky and there are even some decent videos:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-product/luggage-racks/tank-bags

Cheers,

Pete

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the City is good on longer trips because it can hold all of my "minute-by-minute" access stuff like sunglasses, my phone, charger cords etc.
Great info Pete. But it looks like the Day-Pak hold hold the above goodies fairly well no?

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE
I have a smaller DayPak SW-Motech tank bag. I like the way it mounts on the fuel filler ring -- just snaps on and off with ease. When I first got the bag, I removed it to get fuel and set it on back of the seat. When I got ready to mount up, not being used to having a bag, I forgot to put the tank bag back on the tank and took off. About two blocks later, out of the corner of my eye in the mirror I saw a black shape fly off my bike onto the road. I had no idea what it was for a moment, then the realization came. As I could safely make a U-turn, I went back to retrieve the bag just in time to see a car run over it as I approached. Expecting the worst, I picked up the bag. The water bottle inside was flattened and water was dripping from the bag everywhere, but the bag itself was fine! I couldn't believe how it survived so well. There are only a couple of light marks on one of the sides. The bag is perfect for its purpose and still looks great for it's "road warrior" experience.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Wow, I just learned I have a Chinese fuel tank :-( Bummed. I had no idea. No sarcasm, I'm bummed. Maybe a lighter tank but, dam!
On the up side, you never have to worry about it rusting due to water or ethanol-blended fuels...

I have a Classic MotoGear magnetic bag. If I position it "just so" it'll trigger the horn in a VERY tight (i.e. parking lot feet on the ground full lock) turn. Other than that, no interference. It suits my needs entirely adequately. I particularly like the large clear plastic panel in the top; it's good for old-fashioned paper copies of turn-by-turn directions if I print them in a large enough font.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Good question. 1300 Tank is plastic, no magnetic.
:rofl1: Now that there is funny!

I'm sorry, I posted this without seeing your post that you were bummed. No disrespect intended.
Oh, and Damn has an N on it :rofl1:
I have never seen a plastic tank for an ST1300, any chance you could post a picture for us?

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I too have an SW-Motech, the Evo Micro that snaps to the ring around the fuel filler. I think it is their smallest tank bag, but there is a zipper down low that allows the bag to grow taller when unzipped. I popped for the optional map pocket - a large pocket that sits atop the bag for maps (hint: Never put something in this pocket that has come off a copier - heat and sunlight will allow some of the printing to fuse to the underside of the vinyl window).

So far nobody has noted the advantages of these bags. Every bike I have ever seen that has a tank bag sitting on the tank has scratches in the paint - and straps add more chafe points and scratches. The snap on, snap off Motech bags sit above the tank - nothing touches the paint (well, so far I have not carried gold ingots in my bag and it does not touch after two years). When I first installed the ring, it interfered with the filler cap, but loosening the screws and repositioning it slightly took care of that.

When I was looking for one, I went to the Progressive MC show, Twisty Throttle was there with their bags (I had called them ahead of time to make sure they would bring one) and I traced the footprint of several of the smaller bags. When I got home, I cut out the tracings and positioned them on the tank and swung the handlebars from lock to lock. You might not need to do this with all the recommendations in this thread, but if you buy one of these, make sure you can return it if you don't like its shape and size.

Mine is not waterproof (water resistant, I think) and it comes with a rain cover. This is a bit of a pita, since it takes up precious space inside the tank bag.....

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I love the IDEA of a snap on/snap off tank bag, the huge cost has deterred me. If my ship ever comes in, I'd consider one, but intil then, my magnetic tank bag works just fine. I DO keep the bottom of the magnetic area clean, and am careful when positioning it. I have to admit, it IS a pain in the a** when fueling, so I don't use it as often as I would if it wasn't.

Humpff.....cost of one of those is about the same as an HF trailer .......

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
This is what I use and it's great. Expandable and grab and go. It's well made and even turns into a backpack. It's perfect for me and my needs. The only downside is it's only got one zipper one the main compartment which can ,are getting into it tricky while riding.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-18-liter-magnetic-tank-bag

P.s.. btw, if you do buy this, get the 18L. My brother had the 12 and there's virtually zero size difference unless expanded. :)

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Hi All:

It was also important to me that the bag not interfere with the handlebars and controls such as the starter button, horn and turn signal switches - and I have MCL Gen III risers which makes the potential for interference even worse.

After some experimentation, I went with a German-made (i.e. expensive but very high quality) SW-Motech tank bag which mounts using a tank-ring on the fuel filler flange. I got the whole setup from Twisted Throttle who have a distributor here in Canada as well as in the US. I went to their store here in Ontario and was able to test fit the bag so that I could confirm the fit and compatibility with the STs bars and controls. The Motech bags fit fine - no compatibility problems at all.

I have two SW-Motech bags - the smaller "DayPak" and the larger "CITY" model. I find the DayPak to be great for booting around on day trips and commuting because it is small and you can take it into restaurants etc. and the City is good on longer trips because it can hold all of my "minute-by-minute" access stuff like sunglasses, my phone, charger cords etc. and it has a detachable clear top map pocket.

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

The DayPak is small enough that it simply perches on the top of the ST tank while the CITY is quite a bit bigger and it goes from just ahead of the fuel filler to down just about the front of the seat. It is not intrusive at all and in fact, unless you actually look down, you might forget that it is even there until you need it. Both bags have a little cut-out in the front to allow an electrical cable to be led into the interior (for a phone charger for example) and overall, they are very very high quality products.

The tank ring is easy to mount using the stock mounting bolt holes on the top of the ST fuel tank (they provide new hardware) and you do need to get the correct ring for the Honda fuel filler bolt circle spacing.

IMG_0263.jpg

I shot some photos of the City and as you will see, it really drops toward the back which makes it a good fit for the ST1300 fuel tank. There is an even larger model that was designed for the BMW GS model, but I was told that it really does not fit the ST very well and the City was big enough for my purposes. The City tank bag cost about $275 - but it is extremely well made and in my view, worth the money.

The other good option I found is a tail bag - and I have attached a photo of the inexpensive (but very good IMHO) Moto-Centric tail bag that I got from Motorcycle Superstore for about $75 USD. It is mounted on my 1976 Yamaha XS650C which I am restoring (and really enjoying riding too).

IMG_0259.jpg

Pete
Can you confirm that with the Daypack you can make full lock turns without hitting the horn button? I hate that and am shopping for a smaller tank bag to avoid this.

Bob

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Hey all,

I currently am running with the Cortech Super 2.0 low profile tank bag. It is magnetic. I have over an hour commute into work and over 1.5 hours home, all highway. I run my ST at a high speed very often and am running with a short windshield. Never have I EVER had an issue with my bag. Doesn't budge. And when I stop to fill up, I can just let it rest against the side of the tank out of the way. I hold two hats, my phone, a charge box, some glasses, helmet lock, and iPhone cable in it with room. When stopped, replace my phone with my two carbon knuckle gloves still with no issues. I could go bigger, wouldn't matter.

The Cortech has 4 massive magnets in the body of the back and four in the two flaps on the side. It also can expand if needed and comes with a rain protective cover. I've used that cover a lot too. No regrets with this bag, and won't get another until I have to replace with a new one.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-low-profile-tank-bag?gclid=CKr_g6_os9MCFVu2wAod60MO2Q

Hope this helps.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
:rofl1: Now that there is funny!

I'm sorry, I posted this without seeing your post that you were bummed. No disrespect intended.
Oh, and Damn has an N on it :rofl1:
I have never seen a plastic tank for an ST1300, any chance you could post a picture for us?
Sry, did not notice your question. Other than not having the stickers my tank looks identical to any other tank.. The previous owner painted the bike tank and bags the stock color blue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom