Tank bags

I know that this post is late but I am still using my old Tour Master Expandable Mag Bag from Jan '96! This is the fourth bike it has been on and has never left a scratch or the bike even through high speeds, rain, and wind. It spends it's off bike time stuck on the side of my filing cabinet because it looks cool there.:cool: I have even sized laptops to fit in it, and has many overnights and countless trips to work......Cant find another like it and darn it someday this thing is gonna die......

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
While we're on the subject of tank bags and top map pockets, has anyone ever thought about attaching a clear map pocket to the back of a riding vest?
We don't have a gps (yet) and my co-pilot keeps saying this would be a great idea.
Slide the map in and she can read out directions.
We haven't done anything yet but the idea is intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
While we're on the subject of tank bags and top map pockets, has anyone ever thought about attaching a clear map pocket to the back of a riding vest?
We don't have a gps (yet) and my co-pilot keeps saying this would be a great idea.

It is a good idea, and it works well. Before we had a satnav, we used one of those waterproof map pouches that hikers use. I wore it so that the pillion could use it. The Gericke jacket I had at the time had a zipped pocket at the rear (kangaroo pouch), where she could stow it to stop the wind from blowing it around behind me.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
My ST1100 came with a Bagster tank cover so I bought a Bagalux bag with map pocket on eBay for £41 and am delighted with it as it clips off and converts into a rucksack. Not sure of the size though, around 30/40 litres I reckon.

Bike
2012 ST1300
You must have a knock-off 1300 made to look like a Honda ST1300. Guess the Chinese really can duplicate anything.
All the Honda ST1300's have metal tanks.

Magnetic bags work fine. I like the Givi tank-lok system. No scratches, easy to re-fuel and keeps air flowing around so your water bottles don't heat up so much.
I know this is an old post, but new to the ST1300. I picked up a 2012 and wanted to add this bag. Having an issue finding the right fitment though, any suggestions on the tank attachment ring?

Bike
2012 ST1300
Congrats on your 2012 ST and welcome to the forum.
thanks! Been hunting that bike for a while. Found one with low miles and within a days drive so went and picked it up. Put a little over 150 miles on it the first day I had it registered. Love that machine!

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Hi I can't remember exactly where on the stem I hooked the straps to. I did email RKA and then emailed me the mounting instructions for the st1300. The bars do touch the bag at full lock turn, but I can still do a 20' U-turn with the bag mounted. To be fair I did purchase mine for a r1100rt and it's not the recommended model for the st1300.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
This is my QuadBoss ATV tank bag I use on my ST1100. I use it upside down as it works better. It's made for plastic tanked ATV's, 14"L X 12"W X 5" D. Attaches side to side with two screen door latches I bought at Lowes. Easy on easy off. Has a decent map/GPS window accessed from the inside and nice large zippers. Slides forward enough to make easy fueling without removing. Doesn't interfere with anything and stays in place. $25 on Ebay.

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hello, all of my older bikes were able to accommodate my strap held Eclipse tank bag. I am not sure if it will work on my ST. What tank bags do you guys like for your STs? Do the magnetic bags hold on well to the tank? Do the new strap held bags accommodate the STs frame and tank shape very well?
Sry, did not notice your question. Other than not having the stickers my tank looks identical to any other tank.. The previous owner painted the bike tank and bags the stock color blue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Hello, all of my older bikes were able to accommodate my strap held Eclipse tank bag. I am not sure if it will work on my ST. What tank bags do you guys like for your STs? Do the magnetic bags hold on well to the tank? Do the new strap held bags accommodate the STs frame and tank shape very well?
Is your ST 1100 or 1300? My 1100 has a false plastic "tank" which is just a cover for the air filter.

I have two magnetic bags - one I would call medium and the other large . I think they are both made by River Road . Haven't seen this brand around lately so I don't know if they are still available. I have taken a few week long trips with the large bag - the only issue is the same as Rob stated above - with the steering at full left the horn blows . Oddly and fortunately the start switch which is in the same relative position on the right never engages on full right. The magnet bit is great - never budges even at high speed but easy to pull off for fueling or security. Both have clear map pockets at the top which are now somewhat obsolete as I have just added a power point for GPS. I use the medium one all the time but Todd C has just hooked me up with a Smuggler trunk so that may no longer be true.
Hey there - I have a magnetic bag too (used it on another bike) but my ST1100 has a plastic "gas tank". How are you getting yours to stay on?

Tim

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hey there - I have a magnetic bag too (used it on another bike) but my ST1100 has a plastic "gas tank". How are you getting yours to stay on?

Tim
Baglux system - see my avatar. The Bagster tank bag clips on and I leave the "tank" cover on all the time as it is tied and belted on under the seat and fairing.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #

I know a two up couple who have a GPS mounted on the back of the rider. That wouldn't be uncomfortable, right?

Top Bottom