Tank bags

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've placed 3 different sized/shaped bags on the tank and all 3 interfere with your hands/arms at full lock. I'll just have to get used to using the tail trunk.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Sorry I missed a message earlier about the compatiiblility of the Motech bags with the ST. Absolutely - both SW-Motech bags allow full lock-lock turns without hitting anything on the handlebars, and I have MCL Gen III risers on my bike

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I've placed 3 different sized/shaped bags on the tank and all 3 interfere with your hands/arms at full lock. I'll just have to get used to using the tail trunk.
I have the Joe Rocket Hammerhead tank bag. No interference, but it is rather small.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I have the Joe Rocket Hammerhead tank bag. No interference, but it is rather small.
That's what I like about the SW-Motech City bag: it is pretty large (plenty big enough for all the little bits of stuff you need during a day like glasses, phones, cords, Kleenex, gloves etc.) but it does not interfere with any ST1300 controls or scratch the tank nor does it interfere with actually enjoying the bike. It mounts and comes off in a second, with nothing left on the bike except the tank ring (no straps or buckles) and it is tough as nails, plus it fits the ST fuel tank to a "tee".

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Read where the Daypack would not get in the way with MCL gen 3 risers, I call BS. Came in today and it shoves in over an inch. Sending it back now....

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you get the Motech bag and mounting ring: The receptacle that gets mounted on the bottom of the bag comes in a separate plastic bag with a template. You can mount the ring around the gas filler, snap the receptacle onto the ring, and then position the bag atop the receptacle plate. Move it around to check handlebar interference, mark its position with a piece of chalk, and then remove the bag and receptacle and drill your holes in the bottom of the bag to secure the plate.

It's been a couple of years since I bought mine, it is possible they now mount the plate on the bottom of the bag at their factory and then you are stuck with the position of the bag on the bike. But I had the option of adjusting the fore - aft position when I bought mine.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
So I splurged for the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO City bag and tried to fit it last night. I gotta say, I'm disappointed.

Firstly, there is interference with both handlebars at full lock. At full left lock, the bag hits and triggers the electric windshield down switch (but does not trigger the horn). At full right lock, the bag hits and triggers the starter switch. I did make sure the mounting plate was as far forward as possible on the bottom of the bag, so that the bag is as far back as possible when mounted on the tank. My 1300 has handlebar risers, but I don't know which ones; they were on the bike when I bought it. You can see a picture here. Perhaps those risers have something to do with the interference.

Secondly, the rearmost part of the bottom of the bag actually touches the tank. Definitely something I want to avoid. The whole point of tank-ring-mounted bag is to avoid the bag touching the tank, right? I use a magnetic tank bag on my KZ1100 and it has marred the tank's paint. I'm not repeating that mistake on my ST.

I'll be returning this bag and will try the SW-Motech EVO Daypack next.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Shoot - I am sorry - I posted the info on that bag and my experience has been different.

I'm sorry if I misled you TJ - mine fits fine.

FWIW - the bag I got did not have the tank ring fitting mounted and so I was able to position it as far back as possible - and that is where I drilled the holes. It's not perfect, but t it works well on my bike.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Shoot - I am sorry - I posted the info on that bag and my experience has been different.
I've tried a few different bags (never mounted a Moto-tech) and all of them have a slight bit of interference with the bars when I'm using Gen3 risers. The Givi Tank-lok 3d604 is taller then wider and only interferes at the extreme turn position. The typical horn protection bracket stops me from making too much noise when I'm maneuvering in the parking lots. (Parking is the only time I hit the bars to the absolute limits.)

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I just did the Daypack and it hits too so save your money.
My Daypack arrived today, just in time for my trip tomorrow.

Dan is correct, the Daypack does hit the handlebars at full lock, about an inch on each side, like he said before.

But it does not trigger any of the switches. And it does not touch the tank paint.

I can live with the minor interference so I'm keeping the Daypack.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Never tried the tank bags. Tried their summer (perforated) leather gloves. Lasted a whole season. :chrfl1:

Bought another brand, I think I'm going on my third season and they still look good.
There is a reason they hit a certain price point.

If you need a small magnetic tank bag I have a Joe Rocket manta bag (red) I'll sell.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
How much do you want for it?

I have a huge FirstGear tank bag that the PO of my 04 used. He said he'd bought it as it didn't interfere with the bars as much as others. Since I don't remember what kind of bar riser it had, I'm not sure, but on the 03, it's in the way big time. I mostly just need something small for the ID card and such for getting in the gate in the morning.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
How much do you want for it?
How does $35 sound, plus shipping. I think that's half of the new price. I can probably stuff it in one of the USPS medium size boxes.

The little CD case on the back woudl work great for a line badge/CAC card or other identification. Easy to get into and open/close while on the bike and wearing gloves.
I'll take pictures tonight, but it's pretty much VG/Like new condition.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've had tank bags every day, every ride on every motorcycle I've owned since the early 70's when I got my first Eclipse tank bag. Used to be strap on's, now magnetics. Still use the map case feature on every trip lol. I'd be lost without my tank bags. There usually is some interference at full lock, so I blow the horn once in awhile, or lowwer my windshield, but it's mostly funny and not an aggravation to me. I used clear 3m on the tank to protect it from scratches, but at this point in years and miles on the bike, I no longer worry about it.

Today

1977 (my wife and I wore less gear then lol)

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Nice Kawasaki Mickey. How'd it stop with that singe disc? Probably better than the Hodaka Wombat with dual drums I was ring back then.

I have an RKA tank bag. Use the pocket for toll money and the map pocket for old fashion map and sticky note navigation. Run a power cord in to charge my cell phone. Keep sunglasses and a few other things that I can grab without having to dismount or use a key to get.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
1977 (my wife and I wore less gear then lol)
And more casual footwear! lol It was the '70s! Great pics!

Somebody here put a small plate in the form of a guard on the left pod to prevent Tank Bag Horn Honk.

Most tank bags I've seen so far are much bigger than I'd want. Something not too much bigger than a shaving kit would suit me fine. A little wider a little higher. Maybe that would clear the horn button maybe not. NBD methinks.

I like the quick release Motech concept but even the EVO Micro looks to be bigger than I'd want. Nice looking kit though.

Top Bottom