Tank bags

I have an ION 1 Tank Bank on my 2012 VStrom, with the Tank ring mounting. I was just going to get the compatible ring for my 2008 ST1300 so I could use that bag to avoid another bag purchase ,but noticed the handlebar turning radius brings the grips too close to the mounting area . Sooooo.... Going to plan B research on options. Open to any suggestions !

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Some members have made small metal brackets to protect the horn (and maybe starter?) button(s) from tank bag activation. That might be a viable option.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
I second vote for RKA tank bags. I have the 26L magnetic one. Fantastic product.
I just talked to RKA vendor (Richard ... the R guy in RKA) and this 40 year old company seems amazing ... all products made in USA at their factory near San Franciso. Richard recommended "13 Liter Mini Expandable "Shiloh Road 3 Wedge" which I bought. It is 7W x 10L x 5.5H. I also just received the Mosko Pico v2.0 bag yesterday, but it is way to small at 5W x 8L x 3.5H, so I am returning it. THEY KEY DIMENSION IS THE WIDTH ... a 7 inch width is about the max you can have if you don't want to hit the handle bar switches when on max turns.

"

Bike
ST1300
I just talked to RKA vendor (Richard ... the R guy in RKA) and this 40 year old company seems amazing ... all products made in USA at their factory near San Franciso. Richard recommended "13 Liter Mini Expandable "Shiloh Road 3 Wedge" which I bought. It is 7W x 10L x 5.5H. I also just received the Mosko Pico v2.0 bag yesterday, but it is way to small at 5W x 8L x 3.5H, so I am returning it. THEY KEY DIMENSION IS THE WIDTH ... a 7 inch width is about the max you can have if you don't want to hit the handle bar switches when on max turns.

"
How did this tank bag work for you?

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Myself and others on this board have glued rare-earth magnets to the underside of the ST1100 shelter. This allowed me to reuse a magnetic tank bag I had laying arround. It was rock solid as rare-earth magnets are |"very" strong. Carefull with the orentation of the magnets , or you will end up with a "hover" bag instead.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Myself and others on this board have glued rare-earth magnets to the underside of the ST1100 shelter. This allowed me to reuse a magnetic tank bag I had laying arround. It was rock solid as rare-earth magnets are |"very" strong. Carefull with the orentation of the magnets , or you will end up with a "hover" bag instead.
Any chance you know which magnets, or similar size and shape?

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Any chance you know which magnets, or similar size and shape?
I bought them about 10 years ago from a local hardware store. The ones I used are round and the size of a quarter and about 1/8 inch thick. I remember using a quarter as a template when using an xacto knife to remove the foam. Lots to be found on Amazon for about $10- $12 for a six pack and some also come with the double sided adhesive tape. From the photo it seems I used 5 magnets (must have lost one). Placement of course would depend upon the position of magnets on the tank bag you are trying to mount.

Attachments

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
I guess it would be best to lay the tank cover on top of the bag and let the bag magnets show where to place the new magnets.
Yes Loved playing with magnets as a kid and never grew out of it . I placed the tank bag on top of the shelter and moved the magnets around the underside using the "wrong" orientation. The place where the winglets on the tank bag were being lifted the furtherest from the shelter, was where I placed the magnets.YMMV but I think they were repelled about 1 inch. Forgot to mention, get the ones that come in a little metal cup as they are stronger and the backside isn't magnetic.

Top Bottom