Are Honda's warehouses empty ?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Bought my '04 in July of '05 and swore it would be the last Touring bike I would buy.

Now with 54K on the clock.

Happy in Hampton.

Carry on!

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I just saw a Santa Clara County Sheriff moto-cop with a brand new ST1300 at the coffee shop I visit once a week. I talked to him and was surprised he had a new one (paper plate). He said their department does not want to change bikes and they have to import them from Australia. They can still get them down there from what he says.

Dan
Either you travel a long way for coffee, or he was a bit out of his jurisdiction :)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I think they got it right with both of them. Hoping the 3rd version, if it happens, is also a hit.
Hmmm ... I tend to view the ST1300 as the 3rd version because the Pacific Coast was the 1st of this style bike from Honda. Then again, we could back up even further to include the CX500 with its longitudinal V-twin. Regardless, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy an "adventure" bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmmm ... I tend to view the ST1300 as the 3rd version because the Pacific Coast was the 1st of this style bike from Honda. Then again, we could back up even further to include the CX500 with its longitudinal V-twin. Regardless, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy an "adventure" bike.
Actually the late 70's 750/900/1100 and CBX started it all with the attachments of the fairing and saddlebags. The V45 & V65 Sabres came after those. Then the Pacific Coast, which to me was a big disappointment with them using a twin, instead of a V4! I was happy to see the ST1100 using the V4 again, but I went with a ST1300 for a bit more power.

STOC #
I was happy to see the ST1100 using the V4 again, but I went with a ST1300 for a bit more power.
I still can't see a reason to upgrade to the 1300 from the 1100 as the 'upgrade' is rather insignificant IMHO. Now, the bling on the CTX caught my attention for a few minutes but seriously, Honda needs to loose the thought that an 'upgrade' from the ST platform is a GW.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I still can't see a reason to upgrade to the 1300 from the 1100 as the 'upgrade' is rather insignificant IMHO....
I agree with Honda; it's a waste of money and effort to even try to sell anything to it's miniscule ST customer base. Similar to BMW's airhead ludite customers of the 80's - neglect and abandonment is the only solution that makes any corporate sense.:doh1:

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I still can't see a reason to upgrade to the 1300 from the 1100 as the 'upgrade' is rather insignificant IMHO. Now, the bling on the CTX caught my attention for a few minutes but seriously, Honda needs to loose the thought that an 'upgrade' from the ST platform is a GW.
Funny how everyone complains that the reason they went to a FJR or Concourse, was because the STs weren't updated, yet they "Updated" the ST1100 to the ST1300 and now you're saying it wasn't much of an upgrade? I don't get that for a second!

In November of '03, I bought a '84 V65 Sabre because it had more power than the ST1100 could offer. A couple years later, my brother convinced me that a ST1300 was "better" than a V65 Sabre (less maintenance), is when I finally went with a ST1300.

Once I dialed in the ST1300 to fit me, I couldn't ask for a better bike for me! The ST1100 would have never made the cut in my books, but that's just me.

As for waiting for an upgrade, just means you are never going to be happy with what you have after a few years. For me, I rode V45 Sabres for 18 years and then the V65 for two. I really like both those bikes, and only got tired of working on them....little did I know that I would be having to put so many miles on bikes again, that I would be doing the same for the ST1300s. Having multiples doesn't help much either! :eek:4:

Oh yeah, that CTX1300...no way! :puk1:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
.....and I like my RT so much I got a RS too , not waiting for green bananas either :). :bmwkick1:

Tom
Funny how that works... I liked my first ST1300 so much and after putting 174.3K miles on it, I bought a second, then a third, then a fourth and a fifth! And given a basketcase to make it a even 1/2 dozen! :rofl1:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Funny how that works... I liked my first ST1300 so much and after putting 174.3K miles on it, I bought a second, then a third, then a fourth and a fifth! And given a basketcase to make it a even 1/2 dozen! :rofl1:
As light as the RT is the RS is 100lb lighter: 509lb wet weight.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
As light as the RT is the RS is 100lb lighter: 509lb wet weight.

Weight has never been an issue for me on the ST1300s. Now in ten years, it might be a different story! BTW, Nice looking bike, but where's the saddlebags and topcase! ;)

Bike
VStrom 650
Is it me? Honda haven't promised us all "Jam tomorrow''. So why are we worried about waiting for the next ST/Pan that may never come and if it did would we want it. If the VFR1200 had carried a ST badge would we have rushed out to buy it, probably not.
Why not just enjoy what jam we already own and if Honakiyamasuzi provide something we want down the line great.
I ride my 11 because to my mind it's probably one of the most complete motorcycles ever made, others will think different. But having ridden many many motorcycles, new and old over the years I really can't think of a better bike. But it is old, it is not up to date technically, neither is the 13, if it was a car it would have reinvented 4 or 5 times by now.
Just enjoy your ride boys and girls and if you need to ride a new German bike to get that fix, so be it.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300
I agree with Honda; it's a waste of money and effort to even try to sell anything to it's miniscule ST customer base. Similar to BMW's airhead ludite customers of the 80's - neglect and abandonment is the only solution that makes any corporate sense.:doh1:
A lot of Victory owners would probably disagree with that... met one last week that just picked up a new Victory because the deal was too good to pass up.

The difficult thing for me to understand is that it has taken so long for the leftover 1300's to sell out. That in itself tells why Honda won't soon attempt to market a replacement.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The difficult thing for me to understand is that it has taken so long for the leftover 1300's to sell out. That in itself tells why Honda won't soon attempt to market a replacement.
The market is saturated. Pretty much everybody that wants one has one, and unlike, say, full-on sport bikes, there are lots of used copies with a lot of life left in them.

--Mark

TPadden

Tom Padden
A lot of Victory owners would probably disagree with that... met one last week that just picked up a new Victory because the deal was too good to pass up..
I'm really missing your point, the good deal is due to another manufacturer (Victory also discontinued production) that abandoned it's customers when it determined the base didn't warrant further development or production.

Great deals are almost always found in fire sales. Buell owners, Victory owners, and Honda ST owners may disagree all they want but the manufacturers still made the decision that their miniscule customer base didn't support specific production.

The market is saturated.
--Mark
Don't think BMW agrees, but completely different scale of target markets and production.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... the good deal is due to another manufacturer (Victory also discontinued production) that abandoned it's customers when it determined the base didn't warrant further development or production.
Kind of like Honda and the ST market! :eek:4:

Top Bottom