ST1300 Double Dark Side

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Can I ask, have you ever run any darkside rear that wasn't a RF on your Wing? RF is all I've ever used, but was thinking of saving $50 and try a standard CT. I only get about 12-14K from my rear CT (I've tried several). I think maybe the coarse chip seal that is on most of the highways I ride, contributes to that low mileage. My last 3 on the rear were BS Potenza RF, I like them because the edges don't wear out before the center (for me anyway). I still run the BT45 on the front, it works best of all I've tried.

I think they have all been RF, but I wouldn't hesitate to put a Non-RF on. The only time I ride my Wing is when I'm 2-up so it doesn't get a ton of miles. I'm ok with what I've been getting for mileage out of the CT's. The first was a Michelin Primacy, summer tire (14K), the 2nd was a Michelin Alpin, winter tire (19K), and my current tire is a Bridgestone Driveguard (14K and counting). This Driveguard is suppose to be good for 25K on the Wing...we will see. I agree on the BT-45 as well (17-19K on those). Kind of a letdown after getting 50K on GYTT's on the ST1300.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
OK, thanks kendoo for the info.
+1 on the GYTT, wish I could fit one on the GW.
Think I'm gonna try a BFG Advantage T/A Sport next.
I assume you run 195/55/16.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Well!! I've been running Hancook tires. On my second. First was 27k miles. Current tire has only 8k. Previous MC tires average 5-7k miles. As far as handling. Well, I can keep up with Kendoo. Maybe?? Lately I've slowed down quite a bit. But if pushed, get out of the way!! Lol. I thought about switching back after this current CT just to see what it was like back then. But then again maybe not. I honestly feel more comfortable with that CT laid over in a tight turn then a MC tire. Much more grip in all situations.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Well, I can keep up with Kendoo. Maybe?? Lately I've slowed down quite a bit.
LOL, you can do more than keep up. I'm no peg scraper (except by accident a couple times) but that's not because of tire choice. Think I've slowed down too...are we getting old?

STOC #
Let me just ask. Have you tried someones bike that was double dark? If not.. then how much handling is lost?
Quite simply, I would not be qualified to evaluate the handling. I simply trust that the engineers have developed and tested the tires to perform the best on a motorcycle with the speed and load rating of a ST1300.

When push comes to shove in the corners, I am sure both tires would perform well but at some point, some emergency maneuver, some life threatening situation, the design of a Motorcycle tire may save the situation. I don't pretend to know. Neither should anyone else.

I've gone down enough times in 40 years and have decided I don't need to add in another equipment related variable to the equation.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmmm... Didn't think of that. Sure woulda been nice to have the car tire on the short "Kalkaska sand" ride I inadvertently took last summer...

Almost didn't make it thru that stuff!

Tom
My GYTT kept me from sinking even further out in the Arizona Desert when I foolishly followed the GPS....
0628151318.jpg

0628151318b.jpg

OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
LOL! Same way that I got into my predicament - STUPID GPS - doesn't it know that a heavy ST bike has no good reason to be on those sand stretches!

Tom

OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing

I didn't DARE stop to take this picture (or I might still be there, in skeletal form) - I got this screenshot from my helmet cam as I peddled with my feet and kept the back tire turning.

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Well, I got the "beast" General Altimax RT43 car tire mounted on the rear rim, and the "rear only" Bridgestone BT45 mounted on the front rim, by my local shop. They said "we'll mount it on the rim but not on the bike" - that was just fine with me!

Pictures tomorrow....

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Interesting,,, looking forward to pic's. How did each tire balance up ?? I assume the shop did that too,,, what did they hang for weights ?? Cat'

OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Here she is - the rim "sucked it in" a little - it measures between 7-5/8 to 7-3/4"

(regular balance weights, but I plan to add Ride On also)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Well, the "beast" is not rubbing anywhere (looks like 1/4" is the tightest clearance).

And, after a little shakedown ride I think I'm "Dark Side forever". Although I could tell that I had to steer it more intentionally into the curves, I'm sure that will become second nature after a little while. There was really not as much difference as I expected. Of course, the feel of going over a "step" in the road surface (like pavement a little higher in the next lane) was more noticable, but I expected that, and will get used to it.
What I really liked, was the increased stability at a stop sign - with the top-heavy ST1300, it's pretty easy to lose your footing on some gravel and go down - this "stand-up tendency" helps that for sure.

Since the OEM tires should have 42psi, front and rear, I went with 40 in the BT45 up front (since its a little bigger than OEM size) and 30 in the Altimax rear beast - that seemed fine, but I'm interested in the opinions of other experienced Dark Siders. [emoji3]

Tom

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think you're the first with that General tire. Wish I'd gone with it. I have them on my Chevy Cruze and are WAY better than the OEM Firestones it came with. Better rain and snow traction.

As far as what PSI, you'll have to experiment, but 30 is a good place to start.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Looking at the third picture in post 37- with the bike on the side-stand there sure seems to be a significantly sized contact patch. Seems to debunk the contact patch part of the argument against car tires but I would be curious to see pictures with a greater lean angle to see what the tire does.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
You are certainly in the ballpark with your pressures. It will all become 2nd nature after a few miles.

OP
OP
ST-V4ever
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Looking at the third picture in post 37- with the bike on the side-stand there sure seems to be a significantly sized contact patch. Seems to debunk the contact patch part of the argument against car tires but I would be curious to see pictures with a greater lean angle to see what the tire does.
Here's a couple of videos for ya (not ST1300 with THIS tire, but you get the idea)...

https://youtu.be/PZ_d5IIdRZI

https://youtu.be/gZKhoFbL7Fo

Tom

Top Bottom