Clutch Noise - Solved, Addendum

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok, the ongoing saga of my clunk which seemed to come from the engine is apparently history. I've written about this extensively under this heading and also under 'Primary Drive Gear Noise'.

I said I ordered a new final drive on ebay (for 110, shipped) and swapped mine out. Yes, I know final drives never go bad. Before the swap, if I slowed for a curve and accelerated (or braked for a curve, or shifted and let the clutch out) I got a loud metallic thunk that seemed to come from the center of the engine (well, I likened it to the center stand swinging up and slapping the bike). Today I took the bike out for a 160 mile ride. Most of it was on straight, two lane state routes w/ a few curvy sections - not at all like the usual rides in rural Ohio with the guys I ride with. I deliberately braked, accelerated, slowed, accelerated, shifted and clutched, and there was NO noise.

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I'll believe it is really gone after a similar ride through twisties with a lot of up and down shifting. This may have to wait for the Mansfield RTE in about 3 weeks, but the next week or so looks like a lot of rain.

Btw, Kevin, the mechanic that I wrote about in my earlier posts pulled the cover off the original final drive and said I had excess lash* and needed to be rebuilt or replaced. He said an ebay swap would be much cheaper, so that's what I did.

*I forget the term he used - too much free play, whatever.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Excellent - I've been wondering how this turned out. The term "excess lash" would be about right and in my experience, it is a very rare thing to find on a factory set rear-end on a bike or a car.

Anyhow - see you in Mansfield!

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
How many miles were on the original final drive???
I bought the bike with 16K on it. The noise first appeared in the mid 20's (around 25 to 26K miles), and gradually got worse per my extended thread. Bike now has 32K on it, a whippersnapper barely into puberty.

Excellent - I've been wondering how this turned out. The term "excess lash" would be about right and in my experience, it is a very rare thing to find on a factory set rear-end on a bike or a car.

Anyhow - see you in Mansfield!
Looking forward to seeing you there. Btw, someone else uses the same avatar. What is it and where did you get it? First time I saw it I thought it was a picture of you - now I'm guessing its of some celeb that I don't recognize.

Peter

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Now have in excess of 600 miles on the new (used) final drive. Three long rides that include twisties, accel and decel using the engine and/or brakes for curves, lots of shifting, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear curves. Clank/clunk/noise is GONE. No question at all any more in my mind. Have yet to pull the original FD apart and measure clearances and look for damage.

Bike
R1200rt
Now have in excess of 600 miles on the new (used) final drive. Three long rides that include twisties, accel and decel using the engine and/or brakes for curves, lots of shifting, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear curves. Clank/clunk/noise is GONE. No question at all any more in my mind. Have yet to pull the original FD apart and measure clearances and look for damage.
Did the used drive come with the splines and rubber inserts ??

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Did the used drive come with the splines and rubber inserts ??
Yes, even drive shaft and spring washer, etc. and all looked fine. I scrubbed the old moly paste off the splines, dental picked, and Q-tipped the heck out of them and got them clean down to bare metal. Then I fresh Hinda-moly-gooped it all up. Kevin flushed out the old gear oil with warm fresh oil, and put it all together. This happened after he pulled the original final drive apart and said it had excessive play - and he did not have the tooling to pull it apart.

While the rear wheel was off, he changed all the wheel bearings and next tire change (this fall) I will probably pop for new rubber wedges whether I need them or not. Ironically, I had replaced the rubber wedges in my original FD as part of tracking down the problem (less than 1K miles before the FD swap) so those are the ones I'll use.

Top Bottom