Safety Tip

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I see no reason for me to change practices one way or the other. For me the ST is a tallish heavy bike and one leg needs a lot more quad-work than the other. I like to fill the tank to the cross bar so I get off the bike.

Some of my previous bikes had lower seat height and were much lighter. I frequently filled from the saddle. All quads were in fine shape then. No argument from me.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
No need to drag chains or ground strap. Modern tires have carbon black in them to make the tires slightly conductive to dissipate any static charges. California gas pumps have an extra sleeve (a pain) that is suppose to suck away any fumes.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Ahhhh - ddemair - "biffy" is a Canadian term for the toilet, the loo, the bog, the can.....etc...

I'm not sure how the term originated but it is often used in polite conversation to avoid the use of more the "descriptive" terms above. You know we Canadians always try to be polite (except on hockey rinks, I guess). I've been told in my travels that we are the only people in the world who say "please" and "thank you" to bank machines.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In 50 yrs. of Ridin' I've never sat on a bike while fueling it; always on the sidestand standing next to it. Just common sense. No one had to say it to me.

The concept of sitting on the bike (a vulnerable position and obstacle to a fast move of any sort) while leaning forward, peering into a tank of volatile liquid that's venting explosive vapor while holding a nozzle that's dispensing said volatile liquid always seemed to be an invitation to The Darwin Awards, even before I knew the DA was a thing.

Good Ridin'
slmjim
Always use the side stand or center stand.
+1

Shoot, there are times I don't even shut the engine off let alone climb off and pop up on the center stand!

What ever happened to all the warning signs saying not to be holding a cell phone while fueling or you'll blow up?
They probably burned up with all the cell phone started fires. Seriously, I read that there is not enough energy in the output of a cell phone (not talking about energy in its battery) to start a fire. Unless of course, you have the Samsung 7.....

Ahhhh - ddemair - "biffy" is a Canadian term for the toilet, the loo, the bog, the can.....etc...

I'm not sure how the term originated but it is often used in polite conversation to avoid the use of more the "descriptive" terms above. You know we Canadians always try to be polite (except on hockey rinks, I guess). I've been told in my travels that we are the only people in the world who say "please" and "thank you" to bank machines.
Given what some of the banks have been caught doing to their customers (e.g. Wells Fargo) maybe you should reconsider the please and thank you.....

Seriously, if the fuel vapors were to ignite while you were sitting astride the bike and compare the damage to the fueler if he were standing right next to the bike, what would the difference be? Both guys are going to be burned seriously. I've never seen anyone adding gas at arm's length while looking away from the open tank.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Seriously, if the fuel vapors were to ignite while you were sitting astride the bike and compare the damage to the fueler if he were standing right next to the bike, what would the difference be? Both guys are going to be burned seriously. I've never seen anyone adding gas at arm's length while looking away from the open tank.
Almost always refuel from the seat, I'm a firm believer in the axiom: if you're going to die you might as well be comfortable.

TPadden

Tom Padden
You can't fill to the crossbar on ths centerstand or whil straddling? Just curious... probably misunderstood...
I always fill my tank with my eyes closed (and my butt firmly planted). Whenever they are open when I refuel I see a sticker on the tank and I forget what it says, I then have to take my helmet off to put my glasses on to read it. It says to put my helmet back on. I like to live on the edge but draw the line at disobeying tank stickers.

This story borrowed from "Old Guy".

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
UP I usually hook my finger under the latch pawl so I can just let go of the handle to shut them off. I have had them malfunction on me as well. It's pretty easy to lift the bike off the side stand trying to close the massively over stuffed bag on the left side :). Pokayoke suggests getting off the bike, lean and smed suggest staying put LOL. I've employed both. ;)

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I always fill my tank with my eyes closed (and my butt firmly planted). Whenever they are open when I refuel I see a sticker on the tank and I forget what it says, I then have to take my helmet off to put my glasses on to read it. It says to put my helmet back on. I like to live on the edge but draw the line at disobeying tank stickers.

This story borrowed from "Old Guy".

Tom
I just removed the sticker. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
You can't fill to the crossbar on the center-stand or while straddling? Just curious... probably misunderstood...
I get off the bike and put it on the center stand. If I could do so without getting off of it I probably would. (The Bates Ride-Off Stand on my GL1000 was great!) But the ST's seat height and weight combined not to mention my weak left quads made straddling a liability. Prefer not to look like Artie Johnson on wheels.

I suppose I could kick the side stand out as a just in case thing but it would still be a little disconcerting. Maybe I need an H-D Low Boy.

Wow, I never even considered this. So for 40 years I've been driving up, and filling up while sitting on the bike. I've yet to see or hear of a bike bursting into flames at a gas station. I think I am more worried about all the crazy drivers on their cell phones.

Top Bottom