Looking for device suggestions

Bike
St1300
I do multiple event rides a year. On these huge rides there is cb communication going on. I have never been part of these communications. I am one of the few who need the hand signals to know whats going on. I like to listen to my MP3 player as I ride. So I am asking for suggestions on a device I can plug in a hand held CB an my mp3 player. That could switch back an forth as communication comes thru. I do not have a CB at this time yet. I currently just use my MP3 player with ear buds. As I ride with a "bucket" helmet. I have been reading these forums over an over an the more I study, The more confused I am. From what I can tell I will need to add a antenna for the CB to increase range. (ungrounded) Unsure if Bluetooth is for me. I don't mind the hard wire. So out of the hundreds of devices people have used on here, What would you suggest would suit me the best?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Are you sure they're on a CB and not an intercom system, like a Sena?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
J&M would be a good candidate for CB with music. I've never used one myself. As paulcb said, many are migrating to Sena or similar wireless devices.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
There are (or have been) several options out there in my experience over the years as I have been in the same circumstance as you in the past in trying to facilitate occasional CB communication through a handheld CB integrated into a system that also integrated music. Im not sure if there is what would be considered one 'best' solution out there other than to say you can try to determine what the best solution is for you. So FWIW I will summarize what my past experiences have been with the devices I have tried. And there may be other systems on the market as well other than what I have tried.

The first 2 systems that I have tried in the past that integrated handheld CB and music were Autocom and Starcom1. This has been over the course of the last 15 years. The Autocom was hit or miss. At the time Autocom even stated that CB would work with their systems but they discouraged it. When I used the CB performance was marginal at best and oftentimes even though I could receive the transmissions of others when I transmitted it may or may not have been broadcast. The Starcom1 system I had never did work consistently for me when I attempted to use the CB with it. When I first installed it it worked fine but became very problematic. Now having said that I have read information from other riders at the time who have used both of these systems successfully. But for whatever reason they never really worked for me. I would also point out that as stated previously my experiences were from several years ago so I have no idea if the Autocom and Starcom1 systems are still available and if they are what their current offerings are and how compatible any of their current products are (if there are current products) with a handheld CB.

After moving on from Autocom and Starcom I bought a used J&M handlebar mount CB. J&M systems allow you to integrate music into the system. The irony for me after acquiring the J&M system was that I never used it for the CB function as my Goldwing buddy who was the primary cause of me wanting CB capability in the first place because of the long trips we were taking at the time his work situation changed such that we were not able to take any long trips together for a few years so I never used it. Then he sold his Goldwing and I subsequently removed the J&M from the ST1100 when I sold it and I did not bother to mount it on the bike I replaced the ST with.

My Goldwing buddy has since replaced the Wing with a sport touring bike and has migrated to an FRS radio. I still needed something on my current bike for tunes and comm if the need should ever arise so I bought a MotoChello system. The MotoChello system is a complete package (i.e.- it comes with just about everything you need in the way of cabling that you would need for peripherals) that has a lot of flexibility and will allow you to integrate just about any type of peripheral component you want. MotoChello claims that their system will work well even with CB and they even include cabling for handheld CB's. The audio quality is excellent.

If I had it to do all over again and wanted CB capability based on my past experiences I would look at a J&M system or MotoChello. The J&M is mounted on the handlebar so there would be less installation logistics involved than using a system that needs to have the controller mounted 'under the seat' and utilizes a separate handheld CB. The J&M system allows for integration of other peripherals and has antennas and mounts available that are specific to their systems that are available for a wide variety of bikes. J&M can get pricey since they sell just about everything ala carte. If you consider J&M you might want to get feedback from others who have been using the J&M system for a while and use the CB function. OTOH the MotoChello system is pricey right up front but the system includes headsets and cabling for whatever you might integrate into the system. The MotoChello does have a display that mounts on the handlebar but you do have to mount the controller on the bike somewhere and still need to buy a separate handheld CB.

Good luck in your pursuit of finding something that will work for you.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
J&M also make a bluetooth system that wires into this CB harness, you can bluetooth all functions from your Iphone through the CB audio--also lets you use Siri for voice commands to make and receive calls also choose music via voice command. I love mine. The new systems with the new cords are way better quality.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It took my brother to convince me to start "communicating" while riding. That said, in the last 15 or so years, we have tried a number of systems. I can't even remember the name of the first, but I think I still have it in one of my drawers. Then we moved to Autocoms. After a used older unit, I bought my first (older model) Super Pro Avi (SPA), connected to a Kenwood FRS radio. I had an accident not long after installing it and I always had issues of that unit overheating and going out on me, although I hung on to it for many years. I then bought my next (later model) SPA and continued to use it until Dave and I rode out to WeSTOC this last year, when his Autocom speakers got so bad that he couldn't hear me half the time, and when he could I always had to repeat myself. Which was most of the time, when the speakers were working okay!

When we were at WeSTOC, Dave was sold on the Sena 20S. He decided we both needed to get one and worked out a deal with the vendor to sell us two individual units for the price of a twin pack. We tried them out the very next day when riding through Arches NP in Utah. We could actually hear each other and having to "repeat" what we said had been almost eliminated! Sure, they are bluetooth, so there were a few limitations, but since we are usually fairly close when we ride. it's not a big deal. And when we get separated there is always the phone! :D

To connect the 20Ss up to a CB, it requires another expensive piece, SENA FREEWIRE (which I know nothing about), that connects to other devices/bike systems.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
To connect the 20Ss up to a CB, it requires another expensive piece, SENA FREEWIRE (which I know nothing about), that connects to other devices/bike systems.
I may have to look into that. My buddy normally rides an '05 Wing which has the full-boat Honda CB/intercom. Recently he bought a R1200GS (?) and an additional Neotec which got the 20S. So if we want to communicate when he's Wingin' it he'll have to change helmets. To limit theft opportunity when parked all the helmet and cable connections are cable-tied. The Freewire could be just the thing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Once upon a time, long ago, there was the Honda Valkyrie CB/Intercomm unit on which the J&M is modeled after. It is a great unit and if you can find one, it works quite well. I have them on all three of ST1100s and they have lasted for years. J&M also has a 'portable' unit besides the 2003 model which allows for all sort of hookups including CB - INTEGRATR IV (Don't know if they still sell them). I have used FRS radios with them on rental bikes but never the CB option. I had Autocom systems and they seemed to always have issues once you were out on the road. Beware that on wired systems, there are various headset pin configurations and most are not compatible from system to system. With wired systems, the headsets (mic and earphones) are usually pretty pricey but I prefer EDSETs as they seem to hold up better than other units.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
The Sena's, aren't they limited to the the numbers of other Sena's , riders, you can connect with? And you have to "connect" together first? That would mean the OP can not join and hear what the other riders in large groups are doing like he asked about in his post. I don't think large groups could use them.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
The Sena's, aren't they limited to the the numbers of other Sena's , riders, you can connect with? And you have to "connect" together first? That would mean the OP can not join and hear what the other riders in large groups are doing like he asked about in his post. I don't think large groups could use them.
I say this and I asked because I am looking for something similar where I can listen to my music and join in with a large group like you see on memorial day or 911 rides. Of course I am not trying so much to talk with the Riders but be able to listen in to know where we're going and how we're getting there.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I say this and I asked because I am looking for something similar where I can listen to my music and join in with a large group like you see on memorial day or 911 rides. Of course I am not trying so much to talk with the Riders but be able to listen in to know where we're going and how we're getting there.
There is a Sena device that will let you connect up a FRS radio or such. I posted it in another thread, but don't remember the name. It's around $200 for that device.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't think large groups could use them.
Correct. From what I can discern the largest group is 8. There can be multiple groups like music playlists but one group at a time. I don't know how you'd communicate with a random rider met on the road with another Sena unit.

Supposedly one of the newer firmware updates is supposed to let the Senas communicate with other brands.

My personal opinion is that the only thing worse than random large group rides would be many/most/all of those riders having common two-way communications. A 'group' of three is fine by me.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
So we agree, if you are Road captain of a large group on a 911 Memorial Run , and you are coordinating the people blocking traffic, more then 8 riders blocking, what do you use? Not Sena's.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Large groups would be pretty much 'restricted' to FRS/GMRS solutions or CB solutions. What I run into is the 'mix' - some FRS/GMRS and some CB - which don't mix as far as I know. IIRC, the FRS/GMRS radios have a better range than the CBs. CBs can be a bit fussy about antennas for transmitting. You could probably receive CB transmissions with a coat hanger for an antenna. The big challenge with CB antennas on the STs is a lack of ground plane. But you can get antennas to deal with this. If this is going to be a once every so often sort of deal, I'd look at the J&M Integratr IV which seems to be pretty flexible. I know they work with FRS/GMRS because I've used them. I found this quote on using a CB with the Integratr IV -

I did purchase and install the Midland 75-822 handheld CB unit that J&M suggested and it works flawlessly with the Integratr IV system

The review is here -

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/j-m-intercom/

The nice thing about the Integratr IV is you could swap between a CB and a FRS/GMRS, depending on what the 'group' was. The bad part is time you get all the 'stuff' with any system - cables, radios, units, headsets - it can turn into a pretty good chunk of change.

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Ok, I looked up FRS a few different ways. I doubt you're referring to a energy drink or financial systems. What is a FRS?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry - Family Radio Service (FRS) or General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). Motorolas are good units but there are a bunch out there. If it was just for communication, some of the radios come with earbuds that work also as the mic. I don't know how comfortable that would be wearing a helmet and it probably would not work well at highway speeds (the mic part).

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I ventured into the bluetooth family last year. Bought a couple of the cheaper units....UClear brand. I can listen to my tunes, talk to the wife, get GPS instructions and even receive phone calls, all with a push of a button. I've never been able to get the voice controls to work with my phone though, but, if I need to make a call or text while riding, I'll pull over, I can skip tracks, adjust volume etc with 1 finger. I can't multi task that much stuff. And you can't pair up more than one device to a unit, unless it's a bike to bike, so the missus has to listen to her music, I listen to mine. She always seems to know when AC/DC comes on though, then she communicates with with me the old fashioned way, a quick jab to the kidney..................
Overall, I was actually impressed. I'll probably graduate up to a Sena next year.

Top Bottom