Looking for device suggestions

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm going to try something different.

I bought a portable CB with rubber ducky antenna and rechargable battery pack. I'm going to plug a bluetooth transmitter into the headphone jack, and try to sync it with my iPhone. Once synced, I can use Pandora for music as I always have, bluetoothed to a set of noise cancelling ear buds. I just need to listen to the CB transmissions. I don't absolutely need to talk, although there is a way to make it work. I would have to buy a ear bud set with a mic, and a handlebar push to talk kit. I don't want that much complication. I was going to put the CB in a tank bag or pannier since I didn't need access to in once it is set up. It should work, but I need to get off my lazy butt and see.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
One advantage of the CB over the FRS/GMRS is when you are on the slab. If there's 'something' going on, it's nice to hear the scoop from the truckers - although some of the language is not for the faint of heart. ;-) For just listening, rubber ducky antenna should be fine.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
One advantage of the CB over the FRS/GMRS is when you are on the slab. If there's 'something' going on, it's nice to hear the scoop from the truckers - although some of the language is not for the faint of heart. ;-) For just listening, rubber ducky antenna should be fine.
exactly

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I have a smart phone, like most today. So that means I already carry a GPS, BT, MP3 player , phone, and if I believe some of the hype, a app where I can listen into the CB channels.

So I am just going to get some Bluetooth ear plugs and use Pandora or my music with the GPS and CB apps are running at the same time. The phone will automatically run one signal in at a time to my earbuds all the while playing music.

Put music on shuffle, CB in background, and GPS on screen.

Run a charge cord to phone should mean all day sound and only one toy on the handlebars.

Cross your fingers

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The Sena Freewire is for connection to onboard bike audio of a Goldwing or a Harley tourer. Sold with a DIN cable to match the appropriate bike system. Also adds a stereo 3.5mm aux port for mixing in audio from GPS or radar or ? Price class $250. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-freewire-bluetooth-transmitter-for-harley

The Sena SM10 has two 3.5mm jacks for streaming two stereo 3.5mm audio sources to up to two bluetooth headsets. They do sell an adapter cable to connect one of the jacks to the DIN on a Goldwing or Harley, so I'm not sure how the Freewire is better. $135 class.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sm10-dual-stream-bluetooth-stereo-transmitter

The Sena SR10 connects to an FRS, CB, GMRS Ham, etc radio via an appropriate adapter cable. Also adds a 3.5mm mono audio jack for mixing in gps, radar etc. $180 class. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sr10-bluetooth-two-way-radio-adapter

So to go Sena you would need a Sena Bluetooth headset, talking to an SR10, plugged in to an FRS or CB radio. Gets to be a pretty expensive solution.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
if I believe some of the hype, a app where I can listen into the CB channels.

Cross your fingers ��
I am really interested as how the phone connects through to the CB network. I presume it would give you the ability to select channels (19 is usually the trucker channel). I hope that all works out as it would be a lot less expensive solution than what is currently out there.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I am really interested as how the phone connects through to the CB network. I presume it would give you the ability to select channels (40 is usually the trucker channel). I hope that all works out as it would be a lot less expensive solution than what is currently out there.

It's been so many years since I've fooled around with CB radio, the last time I had one, truckers were all on channel 19. Good thing I haven't bought one, I would have thought that truckers went silent, cause I would have been listening on 19.

John

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Sena Freewire is for connection to onboard bike audio of a Goldwing or a Harley tourer. Sold with a DIN cable to match the appropriate bike system. Also adds a stereo 3.5mm aux port for mixing in audio from GPS or radar or ? Price class $250. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-freewire-bluetooth-transmitter-for-harley

The Sena SM10 has two 3.5mm jacks for streaming two stereo 3.5mm audio sources to up to two bluetooth headsets. They do sell an adapter cable to connect one of the jacks to the DIN on a Goldwing or Harley, so I'm not sure how the Freewire is better. $135 class.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sm10-dual-stream-bluetooth-stereo-transmitter

The Sena SR10 connects to an FRS, CB, GMRS Ham, etc radio via an appropriate adapter cable. Also adds a 3.5mm mono audio jack for mixing in gps, radar etc. $180 class. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-sr10-bluetooth-two-way-radio-adapter

So to go Sena you would need a Sena Bluetooth headset, talking to an SR10, plugged in to an FRS or CB radio. Gets to be a pretty expensive solution.
Thanks for the clarification!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's been so many years since I've fooled around with CB radio, the last time I had one, truckers were all on channel 19. Good thing I haven't bought one, I would have thought that truckers went silent, cause I would have been listening on 19.

John
John - You're right - I had a brain cramp that early in the morning. They use 19 because it is in the middle of the frequencies and supposed be 'better'.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Sena does a poor job of differentiating between similar products. I've got a call into them for some additional information but this is what I think I've learned from their site:

SM10 ($149 MSRP) Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter
Bluetooth 2.1/EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) A2DP AVRCP profiles
Claim to fame- Two Devices One Control

Both you and your passenger can listen to the same music or radio station at the same time, using any Bluetooth headset on the market. With Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, the SM10 allows you to add dual-stream wireless Bluetooth® transmitting capabilities for up to two audio devices, such as a mobile phone and MP3 player.

SR10 ($199 MSRP) Bluetooth Two-Way Radio Adapter
Bluetooth 2.1/EDR HSP HFP profiles
Claim to fame- Talk With Two-Way Radios Adds Hands Free to Mobil Phones

The SR10 Two-way Radio Adapter allows you to talk wirelessly with two-way radio devices via Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. It also provides a hands-free gateway for mobile phones and is compatible with standard stereo or mono Bluetooth headsets.

Note that the Sena site mentions only 'Two-Way' radio and lists examples of manufactures of HAM gear and makes no mention of CB at all. Sena's cables for different manufacturers may fit some CB gear. Maybe.

Freewire ($249) Wireless Bluetooth Motorcycle Adapter
Bluetooth 4.1 A2DP profile
Claim to fame- Enjoy Your Bike's Infotainment System Wirelessly

The FreeWire is [available as] a Harley Bluetooth adapter [or] a Honda Bluetooth adapter allowing for wireless connectivity to the bike's infotainment systems. Wirelessly communicate via CB radio, hear turn-by-turn directions from the GPS system, rock out to your favorite radio stations and so much more all through your Bluetooth headset.

The is the only Sena mention of CB radio in addition to plug and play for H-Ds and Wings. And there's no mention of 'Two-Way Radio' compatibility with Midland Yaesu etc.

Use an additional FreeWire for your passenger to talk over the motorcycle's internal intercom system – All with the wireless freedom you've been longing for. $$$$:22yikes:

As previously said not very clear. I'm hoping a Sena rep can provide that missing clarity. To be fair this blurring and ambiguity are fairly common in many manufacturers' sites. Garmin had (has?) a 'comparison chart' that was full of missing information (channeling my inner Berra).

Most of the online user info was old and problems limitations and features may have been subject to change with firmware updates so they were next to useless today.

But I'm pretty happy with the 20S so there's that!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
ST Jim hit the nail on the head. I had to get an SR-10 and a custom cable to plug into my portable CB. Ram makes a nice mount for the portable CB, and I strapped the SR-10 to the front of the CB. I had a bluetooth recever that can sync to 2 sources, but it can only play them one at a time. Because of that I bought a PacTalk bold. I ordered the SR-10 and cable next day air so I could have it in time for my Nighthawk group ride where thay all use CB's. Of course it was late. Tha Pactalk works great with the phone. The hey siri phone calls work great. I did unplug the helmet speakers and went with my Etymotic ear buds. I still haven't used it as a communicator yet. I hope it works. I think some kind of PTT would be better than the Bluetooth or "Web" systems that always have a hot mike. I don't want others to hear me singing along with the music or cursing errant motorists.

Top Bottom