Camping chair for... err... "overloaded" riders?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I did search but all I found were kinda older posts with half of the chairs not in the production anymore. And other half is for skinny ppl. So I need suggestion for a camping chair that can handle a great man (means about 250 lbs great). Compact, for motorcycle, of course. :)

Thanks for any suggestion.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I did search but all I found were kinda older posts with half of the chairs not in the production anymore. And other half is for skinny ppl. So I need suggestion for a camping chair that can handle a great man (means about 250 lbs great). Compact, for motorcycle, of course. :)

Thanks for any suggestion.

A lot of us use the Kermit camping chair. It accomodates up to 350 lbs. and, although not light, does pack fairly small. I recommend the leg extensions - make for much easier entry and exit from the chair.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I would not recommend any of the above. Not particularly comfy or solid feeling from my limited sittings.

As Ray said, Kermit is a great camping chair.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just go to WallyWorld, buy the cheap but sturdy ones and strap them crossways on the seat. They stick out on each side, but for $5-$10 price and the fact that they do sit pretty good, I'll take the 'stick out'. ;-)

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I'm right in there with Unca Phil.........wait til you get there, buy the WalMart chair, and leave it behind if need be....or you could lose some weight...ai't gonna happen.....ff

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Kermit is what you should buy if you looking to buy only one chair that's compact for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, follow Uncle Phil's philosophy.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I just go to WallyWorld, buy the cheap but sturdy ones and strap them crossways on the seat. They stick out on each side, but for $5-$10 price and the fact that they do sit pretty good,
That's what I've done for years Phil, but I decided to really splurge on the Kermit last year, during a sale.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
The Big Agnes Helinox is a good biker's chair for campers up to 300#, sets up in 30-60 seconds. You can also carry several Helinox chairs in a single saddlebag.
If the goal is to be sitting by the fire in a minute or so, go with Helinox. If you've got room, time, and want to sit higher, go with a Kermit (probably the wider one).

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a wide Kermit. I am 5'9" and 285#.
I did not know they made a wider Kermit. I wanted one of these (standard size) and decided to make one for myself. Which I did - the first one was to see if I could do it, the second and third are for show - fancy exotic wood, wider arms, fabric of my choice. And I made the 2nd and 3rd a bit wider for comfort. I have to admit, that while making them was fun (2 & 3 are not finished yet), it was a LOT of work - and they are for my personal use and not for sale. Kermit's price is well worth what you are getting - and these are esthetically pleasing (at least to me), too.

I just go to WallyWorld, buy the cheap but sturdy ones and strap them crossways on the seat. They stick out on each side, but for $5-$10 price and the fact that they do sit pretty good, I'll take the 'stick out'. ;-)
IIRC Dick's Sporting goods has a variety of these in various sizes - from double enormous down to regular, with cup holders, head rests, maybe even a beach umbrella holder for all I know. Highest price I remember was 49.95 - not bad for all the bells and whistles. However, for me, the esthetics of a Kermit blow these chairs away. Really depends on your values.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Kermits are great chairs (especially with the leg extenders), but I would probably only use one right now 2 or 3 times a year. And nothing like treating yourself to something you really want. Maybe if I retire and get to do a lot more motocamping I'd spring for one. I'm more about function than esthetics (nothing wrong with pretty and functional) when camping - if my butt fits comfortably in it and it holds me up, I'm happy. And I usually carry a river bag with my stuff in it strapped on the seat - and the bag is about the same length as the cheap WallyWorld chairs. :D

NOTE: I just noticed they are made in Tennessee. Looks like the 'wide' version with the leg extensions and cup holder would come in at about $239 before shipping and taxes unless there's a sale. That's about 25 - 30 WallyWorld chairs, so if I bought and left them behind, that's about 8-10 years worth of chairs for me at my current usage ... :D

Last edited:
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I purchased a Chair One camp chair from Mountain Gear last year and used it on several trips. One of those was 4K trip where I used it frequently. It was always comfortable and very easy to set up. No issues with sturdiness. I am around 260# and the chair is rated for 320#. The best part is that it packs up nice and small with its own stuff sack. Good luck!

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Bike
2010 ST1300
Kermits are great chairs (especially with the leg extenders), but I would probably only use one right now 2 or 3 times a year. And nothing like treating yourself to something you really want. Maybe if I retire and get to do a lot more motocamping I'd spring for one. I'm more about function than esthetics (nothing wrong with pretty and functional) when camping - if my butt fits comfortably in it and it holds me up, I'm happy. And I usually carry a river bag with my stuff in it strapped on the seat - and the bag is about the same length as the cheap WallyWorld chairs. :D

NOTE: I just noticed they are made in Tennessee. Looks like the 'wide' version with the leg extensions and cup holder would come in at about $239 before shipping and taxes unless there's a sale. That's about 25 - 30 WallyWorld chairs, so if I bought and left them behind, that's about 8-10 years worth of chairs for me at my current usage ... :D
There is no question about the economics of the Kermit chair - it is expensive for what it is, but not for the work that goes into making one. And, if you factor in the possibility of it walking away from your campsite while you are elsewhere it is more expensive yet. There is definitely something to be said for having a piece of gear that, in a pinch, you can walk away from and replace easily. Sounds to me, Phil, like you need to use those chairs more often.

6'1" 380 LBS, I have the chairs that I have purchased at Sams club for over 5 years, They have gone with me everywhere, even survived my 9 year old, I pressure wash them from time to time, have been know to leave them outside in the rain and then a day of sun to dry them out. Its this chair but they are not showing the " heavy weight" online, Cheap enough at like $35

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hard-arm-chair-blue-in-club-172400/prod20000930.ip?xid=plp:product:1:4
Punder, you better be careful pressure washing that chair. You might force water into the bearings and through seals and cause all kinds of damage.....:bow1:

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #

6'1" 380 LBS, I have the chairs that I have purchased at Sams club for over 5 years, They have gone with me everywhere, even survived my 9 year old, I pressure wash them from time to time, have been know to leave them outside in the rain and then a day of sun to dry them out. Its this chair but they are not showing the " heavy weight" online, Cheap enough at like $35

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hard-arm-chair-blue-in-club-172400/prod20000930.ip?xid=plp:product:1:4
Ok, I totally agree with this "ideology" but how do you guys strap such a big chair to your bike?!? Across the seat - it's to wide. Along the seat - I have top case, can't fit. On the top of the side case? Hm... Doable but looks weird...
:(

Bike
2005 Concours
Afan, UP is right about buying the cheap WM chairs. My only problem with them is, after awhile sitting in them my back starts to hurt, and the legs, of the chair, cut into my legs. Making it a very uncomfortable chair. When they break, and they will, it is usually at a very bad time. I finally broke down a bought a Kermit, with leg extensions. Pricey, but very well worth it. You would most likely enjoy the larger version of it. OBTW....last I heard, they were guaranteed for life.

One other thing....if you buy the cheaper WM chair, be sure to carry some "good" zip lock ties.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Afan, UP is right about buying the cheap WM chairs. My only problem with them is, after awhile sitting in them my back starts to hurt, and the legs, of the chair, cut into my legs. Making it a very uncomfortable chair. When they break, and they will, it is usually at a very bad time. I finally broke down a bought a Kermit, with leg extensions. Pricey, but very well worth it. You would most likely enjoy the larger version of it. OBTW....last I heard, they were guaranteed for life.

One other thing....if you buy the cheaper WM chair, be sure to carry some "good" zip lock ties.
I have couple of those cheap chairs on my porch and never had problem with them. And, if they break it's not heartbreaking to throw them away and go pick other one. But still think they are to bulky for motorcycle ride. I really like Kermit but it's really expensive. :(

But this reminded me on one I saw several months ago in local Sport & Outdoor store HERE It's smaller when folded than WM ones, much cheaper than Kermit, and looked ok when I sat in it. Although, it said "up to 250 lbs". I'm 249 lbs means I'm good! :D

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Curious to know if chairs with straight legs such as on the Kermit have a tendency to sink in to the ground at the campsites. Around the house on grass I prefer the old style that had the legs that wrapped around from one side to the other across the bottom so that there was a frame in contact with the ground supporting the weight across the entire width of the chair front and back. These type never sink in to the ground however, they do not fold compactly enough for a motorcycle. Just curious if you guys have any problems with sinking in to the ground.
It depends of the "ground", is it dirt or packet gravel. I was watching "them" at Wi/MnSTOCs, and most of them will drink first 4 cans of beer very quickly and then stuck the empty cans under the legs. And then will continue drinking slowly...
:D

Top Bottom