Not even out of the garage

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
My first tip over finally happened today. Had the bike on sidestand up on a board to level out the clutch master cylinder for a fluid change. Trying to get the clips off the lower cowl and pushed the bike right over onto the toolbox. Couple minor scrapes and smashed the right mirror (one already on order now from Partzilla). Shoulda used the center stand.

Steve

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Ouch.

I only count the ones that occur while I'm on the bike... ;)

It is nice to get to start the count over when you get a new-to-you bike too!
:D

Bike
VStrom 650
Steve,
We live and learn.
Have a beer or three, it always helps, well unless you're an alcoholic then have a nice cuppa tea.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Did anyone ever tell you that the bike needs to be on the center stand to perform this service?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Glad to hear you were not under the bike when it went over. Things can always be worse.

OP
OP
GallantRider

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Very good point! I yelled pretty loudly in anger and my wife didn't hear a thing.

Glad to hear you were not under the bike when it went over. Things can always be worse.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Very good point! I yelled pretty loudly in anger and my wife didn't hear a thing.
I've read a few accounts of people getting pinned under cars and other heavy equipment, and someone comes running to help when they yell. Since I tend to work alone, in our garage or outside in front of it, I've made a conscious effort to NOT be in harms way if things topple. Just in case nobody hears me screaming.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don B said:
Did anyone ever tell you that the bike needs to be on the center stand to perform this service?
There is very little I ever do to a bike when it's not on the center stand just for convenience and GP.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Couple minor scrapes and smashed the right mirror (one already on order now from Partzilla).
Sorry to hear.. and sorry you are paying the price for a new mirror. Many of us have had a local glass shop replace the mirror for about $15.

OP
OP
GallantRider

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry to hear.. and sorry you are paying the price for a new mirror. Many of us have had a local glass shop replace the mirror for about $15.

Thanks TC, I did see that others had done that but I didn't mind paying the price - quickest way to get riding again. I'll probably try to find a place to repair the old one as a spare, if I can find a place with the right kind of mirror glass.
Steve

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
with the right kind of mirror glass.
Just a thought:
Karen went to her local auto store with the broken mirror and found a replacement mirror for a van/truck with close to the same % of light transfer and had it cut to fit at a glass shop...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I did the same. Bought a generic convex replacement mirror glass, think it was labeled as direct replacement for a Honda minivan, that cost me $10 at an Auto-Shack store. Then took it to a glass shop where they charged me $5 to cut it. Took them less then a few minutes. So total time and price was under two hours, inluding install, and around $15.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you are working in your garage. Hang a couple of ratcheting tie down straps from the rafters. Secured very well. One directly over the handlebars and one over the back of the bike. Attach the forward one to the high side handlebar. and the back one to the high side grab bar. Just take out the slack. If you are under the bike torquing on something and she goes over she will not go far and you may live to tell about it....... unless the roof caves in....

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... Shoulda used the center stand.

Steve
Yeah, I hate telling you, but that one was not thought out too well! :spank1:

They are very heavy bikes when at a standstill and anything to get them leaning one-way or the other without something to keep it from going over will result in a tipover!

While coming very close to loosing it many times myself, these beaties love to be on their sides when not attended.

Next time like you already figured out, use the centerstand! :D

Sorry you couldn't keep it up! :eek:4:

OP
OP
GallantRider

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks all for the well wishes and hen-pecking (I deserve it).

New mirror arrived and installed, first sunny spring weekend ahead...let's ride!

Steve

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Getting out from under a bike in the garage is not any fun. I tipped over a Wing and destroyed my left boot getting out from under the bike. My wife thought I was working on the horn of the bike so she never came. No way that she could ever have moved the bike anyway. Calling one of my neighbors over would have been the option but I could not reach my cell phone since it slide across the floor. And after he figured out that I was ok, just all the pictures he would take before he moved the bike. New riding boots $120.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Today I was out working on my ST on the driveway which has a slight slope. My bike was perpendicular to the slope and to get the bike level I pushed some blocks under the side stand. To keep the bike from falling over I used a ratchet strap off the bumper of my truck. It kept the bike solid on the side stand.....

Top Bottom