Kendon SRL Trailer

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Anyone have any experience with a Kendon SRL Trailer? Wife is retiring. She has had a replacement hip, and 2 replacement knees. She can no longer ride long distance but still wants to ride in cool places, so I am going to have to tow close, get a hotel, and unload and ride from there when she is along. Looking for something easy for a small statured 67 year old male to load and unload by himself. Had a an enclosed trailer which fit the bill as far as loading, unloading, & storage, but it was heavy and I hated towing it. Also disliked not being able to see thru it.

any other ideas?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I have no experience, but my brother(Arizona Jim) does. He has this exact trailer and hauls his BMW K1600 on it. Lives in AZ and had trailered it several times to Southern IL so his wife can visit her dad and he then goes riding from there.

There are a few manufactures of this style. Check them out. Mondo just picked up one made in Iowa that is aluminum construction.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I have a Rampfree I bought used. It weighs around 400 pounds. It is very easy to load the ST by myself. Rampfree Florida is out of business but I understand there is a plant in Indiana still selling trailers. There are other manfacturers selling the same concept.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ramp-free-motorcycle-trailers-are-as-cool-as-it-gets-video-74565.html

There is another version of this trailer that you can leave hitched up to load and unload, but it weighs 200 pounds more.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/SB001.html

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a Rampfree I bought used. It weighs around 400 pounds. It is very easy to load the ST by myself. Rampfree Florida is out of business but I understand there is a plant in Indiana still selling trailers. There are other manfacturers selling the same concept.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ramp-free-motorcycle-trailers-are-as-cool-as-it-gets-video-74565.html

There is another version of this trailer that you can leave hitched up to load and unload, but it weighs 200 pounds more.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/SB001.html
I looked at these and was amazed. How clever!!!! Of course, the post came too late - last summer I bought a Tractor Supply garden trailer (but then, I wanted a utility trailer to haul my mower/tractor, construction supplies, snow blowers, etc.). Loading the bike on has been a little bit of a pita. At first I called a friend and the two of us rolled it up. Then I rode it up, slammed on the brakes, and let down the kickstand (I put a sheet of plywood down for transporting the bike). Latest iteration is to put some old RR ties down on the ramp, and inch up under power. Might make some hollow boxes roughly the dimensions of RR ties to load. For unloading, I've always gotten help or managed to get help to roll the bike up backwards so I can ride it off.....

If only I'd seen these trailers before I bought mine.

As far as another bike. I've been looking for something lower and lighter too. But the "I wants" tend to knock everything out of the picture. And several guys in the BMW club I hang out with have told me in candid moments that ANY bike after the ST is going to be a step backwards. Sighhhhhh thats what happens when you get the best....

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I have a Stinger M/c trailer which folds up for storage. The trailer is low to the ground but the ramp is a bit narrow. I am able to load my ST1100 by myself, but it helps to have another person's directions to guide me onto the trailer. The trailer has a solid axle and no suspension so the trailer cannot be towed if empty.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
wow that ramp-less trailer looks interesting, and Indiana is one state west. Might be able to check them out in person

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have a Double Kendon Stand Up trailer that has worked well for us. It has the narrow, single ramp so I would never ride a bike up it. We always have two people and push the bike up the ramp. The SRL looks interesting but unless you are alone, I would still advise getting help and pushing the bike up onto the trailer.

The Kendon trailers are very light and pull easily behind our Volvo XC70 with two full size touring bikes loaded.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have a 2008 Kendon dual rail. This is the newer design made from round tubing. It is a great trailer and hauls two bike without effort. I pull it with a Mazda CX5 4 cylinder. I can also stand it up by myself.

I had to travel a ways to get it, from Denver to Butte Montana, but it was only a $1000. I have hauled a single bike many times and with the torsion bar suspension the trailer stays level from side to side.

The down side is the very narrow loading ramp. I do load bikes myself, but for the ST I am off the bike and it is running and I nurse it up in first gear. Oh yea I remove the bags for this.

I would also recommend a rock guard on the front. I don't have one but am looking. The down side is I think it will be harder to stand up.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable standing beside the bike and pushing or rolling it running up a ramp. I hate pushing it backwards out of the garage on a level drive. It's going to have to be a ride it on, back it off while seated kind of deal.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I purchased a triple bike open deck trailer which has wood decking added between the open metal tire channels, got it used for $900 Canadian, 4.80-12 tires. Then I bought a 3000lb winch for $80 on sale and wired it to the front middle channel, with enough wiring harness that I can sit on the bike on the beginning of the ramps and operate the switch. I surfed Kijiji and found ramps for $160 for four aluminum ramps. I sit on the bike, operate the winch with my left hand, the front brake with my right and walk up the ramps nice and slow while winching. I hang two tie downs off the handlebars and hook them on the front right and left and cinch them down all the while I'm still sitting on the bike. Then I get off and use 4-3000lb tie downs to secure the bike and as a fail safe I bolt down a wooden chock behind the rear wheel. So it's a safe, secure easy load with one person, I have snapped a tie down with the ST when using four-500 lb tie downs, didn't make sense to me, but that's why I use the 3000 pound ones, which were not that much more on sale, good luck with your towing.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My wife has never been one for riding long distance. So I've always have had to trailer my bikes when I took it with us. I bought a HF trailer, along with their sides and then a three section ramp that makes loading and unloading a one person job!

Here's the link to my trailer pictures: Trailering the ST1300

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I hang two tie downs off the handlebars and hook them on the front right and left and cinch them down all the while I'm still sitting on the bike.
Hopefully not very tight and they are removed very shortly thereafter.
The ST13 handlebars are not rigid mounted to the bike; and should not be used as tie-down points. There are some rubber bumpers under the mounts. Cranking down on the handlebars will smash them out and lead to a bit of looseness in the steering feel.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
My wife has never been one for riding long distance. So I've always have had to trailer my bikes when I took it with us. I bought a HF trailer, along with their sides and then a three section ramp that makes loading and unloading a one person job!

Here's the link to my trailer pictures: Trailering the ST1300
Now that's a RAMP. Got a link?

Bike
Honda ST1300
I looked at these and was amazed. How clever!!!! Of course, the post came too late - last summer I bought a Tractor Supply garden trailer (but then, I wanted a utility trailer to haul my mower/tractor, construction supplies, snow blowers, etc.). Loading the bike on has been a little bit of a pita. At first I called a friend and the two of us rolled it up. Then I rode it up, slammed on the brakes, and let down the kickstand (I put a sheet of plywood down for transporting the bike). Latest iteration is to put some old RR ties down on the ramp, and inch up under power. Might make some hollow boxes roughly the dimensions of RR ties to load. For unloading, I've always gotten help or managed to get help to roll the bike up backwards so I can ride it off.....

If only I'd seen these trailers before I bought mine.

As far as another bike. I've been looking for something lower and lighter too. But the "I wants" tend to knock everything out of the picture. And several guys in the BMW club I hang out with have told me in candid moments that ANY bike after the ST is going to be a step backwards. Sighhhhhh thats what happens when you get the best....
So, I guess my reply is a little late. I love my Chariot trailer. It's low to the ground and comes with a ramp that slides under the back of the trailer which is almost the full width of the trailer. It makes it easy to load even heavy bikes.
I've added a quick hitch on the back to tow my Harbor Freight trailer. It can fit in the back of the Expedition, but is just easier to not have to lift it or clean it.

Chariot Trailer.jpg

Top Bottom