Need some ST110 carb help - air chamber removal

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a small gas leak somewhere. I see some evidence towards the back side of the carbs where the two fuel hoses enter each bank but it doesn't seem to be leaking there. I would like to remove the aluminum air chamber/duct/plenum assembly on top of the carbs (red arrow below) without removing the carbs. From my Honda service manual, it 'looks' like there's no gasket and it can be done. Actually it looks pretty straight forward.

Can this be done without carb removal? Has anyone done it? TIA!

Capture.JPG

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
That can be done but it is a giant PITA to get the parts realigned as the air funnels are trapped between the plenum and the carb and you need about 4 hands to get it all back together. I'd just pull the carbs out as a unit. Slip off the choke cable, unscrew the throttle cable bracket and unhook the cables and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the input Terry and Phil. I just buttoned her back up until I can get some more time. She runs just fine, but that gas smell is noticeable. Thanks again.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for the input Terry and Phil. I just buttoned her back up until I can get some more time. She runs just fine, but that gas smell is noticeable. Thanks again.
IF you do remove the snorkel base from the carbs, you will find it, as Terry said, a massive PITA to re-assemble it to the carbs, unless you do what I did after about an hour of choice words in the attempt, with the carbs off the bike. You need to loosen all the bolts that hold the carbs together as a unit, so that they are loose in relation to each other. Then, putting that damned thing back on is quite easy, followed by tightening the carbs up to each other again.

Taking it off with the carbs in situ will not make you a happy man.

Last edited:
there's a collection of individual over flow drains in that area. once the tank is out of the way it'll be easier to see them. and, hopefully see which one is dripping gas....I'd remover the carb set, only once the gas leak is pinpointed.

Top Bottom