Good way to clean your brake pistons

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Take a simple 6 inch black nylon zip tie. They have notches on one side that work great at catching and removing dirt.
Just wrap it around the piston, take up the slack, and give it a couple quick turns, and your pistons are clean and shiny again!
I use this method with Windex, simple green, or brake fluid. Not nearly as messy as a tooth brush, and cleans better.
If you dip the tie in the cleaner first, the solution stays on the tie and does not get all over the caliper like spraying or brushing does.
Clean, quick, and re-usable, and everyone has 'em in their tool box.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Take a simple 6 inch black nylon zip tie. They have notches on one side that work great at catching and removing dirt.
Just wrap it around the piston, take up the slack, and give it a couple quick turns, and your pistons are clean and shiny again!
I use this method with Windex, simple green, or brake fluid. Not nearly as messy as a tooth brush, and cleans better.
If you dip the tie in the cleaner first, the solution stays on the tie and does not get all over the caliper like spraying or brushing does.
Clean, quick, and re-usable, and everyone has 'em in their tool box.
When do you sleep??!!:):)

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I use a flat shoe lace dipped in brake fluid to clean the pistons.
I used to use a shoe lace also, what works better than that is some para cord, after you remove the silk strands from inside, its flat and textured and is washable and re-usable.
However, the nylon tie works best of everything I have tried so far. Simply dip it, and make a couple turns and its spotless. I find the plastic takes less effort to use than the only laces also.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup... I was a toothbrusher and would also tear off strips of an old t-shirt to thread it around the piston...

I'll give this a try next time, thanks Larry!

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Great tip! Assume you all clean the pistons only during a pad change?
Only during a pad change :rofl1: now that's funny! I find myself throwing wrenches at my bike if I just walk by and see something that needs to be done or is dirty....but that's just me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom