Clocks keep resetting

Did the switchback mod 'tother day. Noticed that the clock and trip had reset. Now, it keeps doing it whenever I turn the ignition off and on again. I pulled the turn signal relay out to change it. I tried the old one again, in case it was the new one. I've checked the 2 fuse boxes by the centre stand handle. I've checked the wires to them and all of the relays in that area. I've tried a replacement battery.

I'm stumped!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are you sure the replacement battery is good? It should be able to pass a load test— the voltage while cranking doesn't drop below 10V. If it can't it would give you the clock resetting syndrome.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You'll probably need a battery soon. Resetting the clock is the early warning system of sorts.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Does it keep resetting to around 1:00 a.m.?
Your clock resetting is the first sign of the battery doing south.
Replace the battery.
Igofar

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
What Model and Year are you talking about? If 2 Batteries have been used perhaps the charging system is at fault.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Isn't there a fuse in the starter relay and the metal strip fuse above the battery? I'm thinking check the metal strip. Be on the safe side.

Bike
2005 st1300
The fuse cjames refered to is fuse "j" in the rear fuse block, 10 amps, 2nd one in from the bottom of the fuse block, labelled "battery". I pulled mine and the clock still works when I turn the key on, but goes back to 1:00 when I shut it off.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Just did the switchback mod myself, no issues with the clock. Did you use resistors or replace the TS relay with an electric one for LED's?
Switchback mod-Uber cool BTW

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The fuse cjames refered to is fuse "j" in the rear fuse block, 10 amps, 2nd one in from the bottom of the fuse block, labelled "battery". I pulled mine and the clock still works when I turn the key on, but goes back to 1:00 when I shut it off.
If your clock resets to 1:00 your battery is dying.

Bike
2005 st1300
Faithsdaddy, I just noticed your location. Did I read somewhere recently that to do the switchback mod on a euro bike, you have to add the running lights to the switchback system, because euro bikes can only have signals and no marker lights? If that is the case, where did you get the running light power for the switchbacks? This could be a clue to your problem. I could be wrong about that, and sorry if i am, but that seems to stick in my head.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I had a completely different cause of clocks resetting. I had taken off the left side cowl and when I put things back together I had not seated the large multi-wire connector into the bracket on the cowl. Something kept moving in that connector and my clock would reset every night. Bike would start just fine. Somehow I figured out that I needed to seat that connector in the bracket - no more clock resets.. Removed the cowl again, pulled the connector apart, looked nice and clean, no other issues. Added dielectric grease to the connector, left it OUT of the bracket, rode it, sure enough, clock reset again. Put connector back into bracket, no more issues for the past two years. Nothing related to battery at all.

Weird but true...

OP
OP
I had a completely different cause of clocks resetting. I had taken off the left side cowl and when I put things back together I had not seated the large multi-wire connector into the bracket on the cowl. Something kept moving in that connector and my clock would reset every night. Bike would start just fine. Somehow I figured out that I needed to seat that connector in the bracket - no more clock resets.. Removed the cowl again, pulled the connector apart, looked nice and clean, no other issues. Added dielectric grease to the connector, left it OUT of the bracket, rode it, sure enough, clock reset again. Put connector back into bracket, no more issues for the past two years. Nothing related to battery at all.

Weird but true...
Where is the connector?

OP
OP
SORTED!!!

I knew roughly where to look, thanks to your thoughts. Turns out, it was one of the wires into the big white block- the actual wire, not the terminal. Opening up the loom revealed a 'low quality repair', which displayed frayed wires held together with spit & a prayer. The whole loom is a bit crappy really. Think I might do a loom overhaul... story for another day...

Anyway, soldered it up and everything's fine-ish again.

Thank you all ever so much. I really appreciate all your help. Thank you to all my biker brothers

Top Bottom