Intermittent ABS Light Blinking

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
I had an FI light on for a while and finally resolved it and bought a new battery. My motorcycle is back up and running so I decided to ride to work this morning. Started it up and started riding and noticed the ABS light blinking. It was a constant blink just one at a time. I stopped to get gas and when I started it back up, the ABS light was no longer on so I rode to work. When I left for lunch, the ABS light came back on. After lunch I rode to work and the ABS light didn't come back on. :confused: Not sure if I should be concerned about this or how I should start troubleshooting.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The first thing I would check is to see if your abs sensors are loose or the rings used next to those sensors are bent or damaged. Might be a bad sensort.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When you stopped for gas, did you happen to use the side stand when you turned it off? If so, you may have stored a code and that's why it stopped blinking.
Put the bike on the center stand, deploy the side stand out, press the engine run switch, turn the ignition key on, and press the starter switch, DO NOT TOUCH the throttle or grip at all when you do this.
let the bike idle for approximately one minute, then press the red kill engine switch, then turn the ignition key off. Fold up the side stand. This should clear all codes stored.
Your bike may return to normal if all is well. If not, use the side stand method to retrieve any codes thrown, and check a service manual for the codes.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The side stand trick is for the ECM, which is completely independent of the ABS computer.

One thing the ABS computer does have going for it is it will store any fault it sees, even if it goes away. Check to see what it has to say using the procedure in the service manual or this abbreviated version. You will need to manually clear it afterward.

--Mark

Top Bottom