How to get right price for my new bike (NC700x)?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I tested NC700x in a local dealership last weekend and looks really good. Didn't find anything bad and/or suspicious (I'm not an expert although). But the tool bag was kinda empty, only the screwdriver inside the bag. And the rubber band that holds the tool bag in it's place is missing.
I brought my 2006 S40 to trade in and the dealer offered $1,200 for it. His offer was my bike ($1,200) + $3,450 + tax/license/title. When I asked him why I can't get anything off of the NC's price ($4,699), the guy said that since I'm trading in he's not lowering the price, the price is already low.

So, is it ok what he said? Is the price for NC ok? Is this bad or good deal? What do you think, should I consider it?
According to Nada, the value of the bike is between $3,745 and $4,930. According to KBB the value is $5,015. It's so big difference between $3,7K and $5K

What do you think, is this better deal than THIS, new (0 miles) 2014?
This one is a year "younger" but there is no difference (upgrade/update) between 2013 and 2014. 2013 has 500+ miles what's "almost zero" for Honda. The only reason I'm bringing it up is with new(er) one I'm getting 1 year/unlimited miles warranty as any other new bike and I'm 100% sure nothing is wrong with the bike (2013 bike had already two owners, even with only 500+ miles). But, is this all worth $1,000?

Any thought/suggestion would be appreciated.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You would be better off selling your bike yourself, then go in with cash in hand and give him a lower offer.

Bike
R1200rt
the dealer will add "dealer prep and other fees" so your paying price of a new 14 for a used 13. Check cycletrader I saw a 12, low miles with bags and trunk under 4k. Bags alone will cost about a grand. Remember on a NC you can't strap luggage over the seat on a trip because it would be a pain to fill the gas tank. Isn't the S40 worth more than 1200??

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
You would be better off selling your bike yourself, then go in with cash in hand and give him a lower offer.
You're right, I know. But not much people interested in my bike. I'm posting it on Craig's List for the whole of the last year but only calls are form agents they want to help me to sell it, and people "they are at the moment far from Iowa, and they want to buy the bike for son and they will pay me by PayPal and somebody would come and pickup the bike"... (funny, it always 100% the same story...)
I'm gonna post it on CL again with the lowest possible price, and if nothing for next week or to I have to trade it. Just getting tired of it. I would accept even $1,200 what the dealer offered to me so I can then look for new bike nationwide. With trade in I'm pretty limited to local dealerships...
:please1:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
"they are at the moment far from Iowa, and they want to buy the bike for son and they will pay me by PayPal and somebody would come and pickup the bike"... (funny, it always 100% the same story...)
You DO know that this is a common scam related to selling on CL, right? They take your bike and no money appears from Paypal.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
the dealer will add "dealer prep and other fees" so your paying price of a new 14 for a used 13.
I just talked to the dealer and he said that Honda is charging them $380 or so destination fee and they will charge me $200 for this?!?!?!? Really?!?!?

Check cycletrader I saw a 12, low miles with bags and trunk under 4k. Bags alone will cost about a grand
Yes, Cycletrader is my "main source".

ZRemember on a NC you can't strap luggage over the seat on a trip because it would be a pain to fill the gas tank.
I personaly don't see that as a problem because I'm making stops and stretching every 1.5-2 hours so additional coupe minutes shouldn't be a problem. Also, I saw some modifications o the rear seat, with the hole so you don't need to unstrap your bag.

Isn't the S40 worth more than 1200??
I personally think it is. At dealerships the price for bikes like mine is between $2,500 and $3,000. According to Nada my bike is Low/Average retail $1,246/$1,645. By KBB trade in value is $1,455 and suggested retail value $2,175.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Go to the library and get out one of many books (well get a couple) on buying a car. Bottom line, the dealer is in business (like most other people) to make money. He has overhead, salaries, insurance, etc to pay. If his price is too high and nobody meets it, he loses money - not a good way to stay in business. And the 'Book' value for a bike or car is only a national average - local demand (or lack thereof) will adjust the price up or down. The dealer knows that sooner or later someone will come in and offer close enough to his asking price to make it worth while to sell the bike. Or he will get tired of having it on his floor and losing money on it so he will come down.

If you cannot sell your S40, he will likely have a hard time too, but he has customers you would never see and might have an easier time selling it. So, he has to buy that bike cheap in order to make money. I hesitate to call him a thief - that's easy to do when someone wants more money for something we want dearly. One thing that doesn't ring true, Honda is billing him $380 and he will charge you $200? Good way to go broke. More likely, it's a pat line. Auto dealers have an invoice price - that doesn't show rebates and prizes and discounts on buying more cars from the manufacturer. Therefore, it is very hard to calculate the dealer's actual cost of any given car. And, anyone with a computer and printer can make invoices show whatever they want them to.

One way to confuse the rube...er, customer, is to throw numbers at him. Offer a lot on the trade in, subtract that from the MSRP, and talk about how cheap that number is then add fees, taxes, and licensing on top. I have always told the salesman to give me one number - out the door - because if he adds 10¢ to the price later, I'll walk away from the car. This may not make him any more honest, but at least I can focus on what it will cost me, and not have to worry about calculating sales tax, prep, floor mats, options, licensing, etc. fees. One number. That's what I want.

So, bottom line, don't worry about his price. Decide for yourself if the bike is worth the total price it will cost you, and pop for it or not. What would a fly and ride home cost you? How long do you want to wait? Might the value of your S40 drop in the meantime? Can you afford the price? Our opinion here is really irrelevant. Have you noticed that not too many guys ask 'What did your bike cost?' Have you noticed not many guys say, 'Hi, I'm Bob and this is my bike...I paid $xxxx for it.'

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Go to the library and get out one of many books (well get a couple) on buying a car. Bottom line, the dealer is in business (like most other people) to make money. He has overhead, salaries, insurance, etc to pay. If his price is too high and nobody meets it, he loses money - not a good way to stay in business. And the 'Book' value for a bike or car is only a national average - local demand (or lack thereof) will adjust the price up or down. The dealer knows that sooner or later someone will come in and offer close enough to his asking price to make it worth while to sell the bike. Or he will get tired of having it on his floor and losing money on it so he will come down.

If you cannot sell your S40, he will likely have a hard time too, but he has customers you would never see and might have an easier time selling it. So, he has to buy that bike cheap in order to make money. I hesitate to call him a thief - that's easy to do when someone wants more money for something we want dearly. One thing that doesn't ring true, Honda is billing him $380 and he will charge you $200? Good way to go broke. More likely, it's a pat line. Auto dealers have an invoice price - that doesn't show rebates and prizes and discounts on buying more cars from the manufacturer. Therefore, it is very hard to calculate the dealer's actual cost of any given car. And, anyone with a computer and printer can make invoices show whatever they want them to.

One way to confuse the rube...er, customer, is to throw numbers at him. Offer a lot on the trade in, subtract that from the MSRP, and talk about how cheap that number is then add fees, taxes, and licensing on top. I have always told the salesman to give me one number - out the door - because if he adds 10¢ to the price later, I'll walk away from the car. This may not make him any more honest, but at least I can focus on what it will cost me, and not have to worry about calculating sales tax, prep, floor mats, options, licensing, etc. fees. One number. That's what I want.

So, bottom line, don't worry about his price. Decide for yourself if the bike is worth the total price it will cost you, and pop for it or not. What would a fly and ride home cost you? How long do you want to wait? Might the value of your S40 drop in the meantime? Can you afford the price? Our opinion here is really irrelevant. Have you noticed that not too many guys ask 'What did your bike cost?' Have you noticed not many guys say, 'Hi, I'm Bob and this is my bike...I paid $xxxx for it.'
Thanks for very useful observations. "Out the door" policy is definitely the best way.
And, regarding the $200 destination fee, I'm lucky he's not going to charge me $5 from his electric bill for the electric power he spent on the light above the bike... And for gas he's spending for test/demo rides...

I agree with most of the above but I would add that to make the "deal" easier to understand it is helpful to get an out the door price for the new bike without a trade. Then when you're satisfied that you have made the best deal, bring the trade-in into the mix.

Be realistic about the value for your trade and realize that you will probably make out better if you sell it on your own.

Harry

The S40 should not be a tough sell, Suzuki made a great beginner bike with that one! My father and brother law both had one for a year and both had no trouble at all selling it. Having said that they are cheap bikes, 1200 bucks sounds about right.

The deal seems ok to me.. not great but ok.

I am not a big fan of the NC700 though but if you have an S40 now i'm sure it will be fine!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have used Cycletrader, CL, and eBay, and eBay by far had the greatest reach. I did well on CL and Cycletrader as well, just not as much action. Try listing it on eBay, and see if you can get some bids!

Unfortunately, a lot of folks see a single cylinder bike as being too small for any serious use, especially one that "looks" like a cruiser. I ride a Honda Helix ( 250cc large scooter) quite often, and like the maneuverability, easy parking, and most of all, GAS MILEAGE of the thumper. Honda Rebels are another bike in this category, can often be picked up for a song, once a new rider "grows out" of it.

I wish you luck!

Top Bottom