Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW 2012 gas mileage

NEW 2012 gas mileage

Bought a NEW 2012 ST 1300 in July 2016. From the first tank it has been getting 25 to 27 miles to the gallon. Now has 3400 miles and Honda won't help me with finding the cause. Dealer agrees there is an issue but no obvious signs of where the problem may originate and Honda won't authorize time to trouble shoot. Have a 2007 ST with 75,000 miles on it that ALWAYS got 37 to 39 MPG round town/freeway and up to 42 highway on cross country trips. Thermostat is good, not throwing any codes, not running rich. Any help would be appreciated. Stonewalled by Honda corp "customer service" dept. While agreeing MPG is not normal they say without a "symptom" being identified they consider the bike to be performing "as designed". My contention, the MPG is the symptom. Basically I have to tell them what is causing it before they will determine if it is covered under warranty.

Unterbrecher von Sachen BakerBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    2016 R1200RT
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: NEW 2012 gas milage

What a shame.

Do you smell gas while it sits in the garage? (is there perhaps a fuel leak?)
    Do you see 3 bars on the temperature gage while moving on cool days?
    How do you/they know the thermostat is good without pulling it and proving it?
    Are the pipes yellowing/browining heat-staining at the round-to-triangular transition below your footpegs?
    John - 2016 BMW R1200RT

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere,
    and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself." ~Unknown

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Air filter. Maybe something crawled up there.

Email sent, standing by the white courtesy phone

Bike
    2012 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Are the brakes dragging?
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the differen
    ce.--R. Frost

Bike
    '04 ST1300, BLUE
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

T-STats have issues on ST1300s; but, as noted you'll have to pull it to prove it has failed.

If you love your bike, let it go.
    If it comes back, you high sided.....

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

As stated above, brakes dragging might be it... obviously, the ST1300's brake system is overly complicated... it's superb when it's working but annoying when it isn't. How much drag is on the rear wheel when on the centerstand and you spin the tire... they don't typically free-spin but you should get at least 6-12 inches of spin before it stops and that's normal.. if it's locked up and won't barely spin at all then that's probably the culprit - the brake system. A full bleed the correct way should eliminate that as an issue.

You don't always have to remove the t-stat to test if it's working but you need temps into the 40s to see if it isn't... if it's cold enough and you start dropping from 3 bars on the dash then it's more than likely bad and WILL definitely affect the mileage. Maybe you can head into the mountains where it's colder and do that test?

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Have you personally, called the Honda corporate number, or are you relying on what the dealer told you? I called them once, and when given my VIN, they knew everything about the bike, including repair tickets written by the dealer. You could call to make sure that the dealer has reported your problem.
    '06 ST1300 '08 GL1800 '13Wee

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Let's go back to the beginning. Fill the tank carefully at your fav gas station (I like Shell or Sunoco) with 91 octane gas (if you can get it, higher if not). Take the bike out for a ride on the interstate. Since you are getting only around 25 mpg, drive 25 miles, turn around, and go back to the SAME gas station and use the SAME pump to fillerup. At your stated mpg, you will need close to 2 gallons, if you are getting 35 mpg you will need closer to 1.43 gal.

Recalculate the miles per gallon. If it still checks out at round 25, then yes, you have a problem. Gas pumps may or may not be accurate (usually are). If you mostly fill up at one specific pump, for the purpose of this test, try another gas station.

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Sorry, SMSW, but you can't accurately determine average fuel mileage from a 25 mile ride, too many variables for any accuracy. Fill the tank, reset the trip meter, ride as far as you dare before reaching empty, then refill again and calculate mileage the old fashioned way (miles/gallons). I'm confident that the OP knew that already.

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast