009 Raven or 011 Verge?

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
2003 ST1300A 60K

I've read reviews of both on here, but I haven't heard them being compared. Any bias in either direction? How about the 016 Verge X2? They don't have the perfect size for the 1300, but they have a 180/55 17 that might work. I usually go darkside with my bikes, but for some reason, I'm not in a hurry to try that on the ST.

Bike
ST1300 (this week)
I'm also looking at the 016 Verge. It looks like it may be a nice tire. I've run Shinko in the past on a GW and was happy with them. I'm going to try them on the ST, but no experience as this is a new bike for me.

Bike
R1200rt
I'm also looking at the 016 Verge. It looks like it may be a nice tire. I've run Shinko in the past on a GW and was happy with them. I'm going to try them on the ST, but no experience as this is a new bike for me.
Just bought a 190/60/17 avon cobra for my st1100. On sale (Dennis Kirk) for $120. If they put car tires on I'm sure it will fit. Avon states this tire will last 15k. In my opinion Shinko make a good tire and am running one on the front now.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I put on a Shinko Verge 011 a week ago. Sort of wondering about the choice after looking at it, no tread in the center, but it seems to ride and grip fine. Haven't rode in any rain yet. $95 shipped from Dennis Kirk.
there have been reports/reviews on the Kawasaki Concours forum with handling issues when loaded heavier. It's a different size (16") and the load rating, at least in that size, is marginal and can make for squirming issues. Haven't read of that on the ST1300..yet.
I had great success with the Shinko 777 bias tire on the C10s mixed with a front radial.
sorry, haven't tried the Raven version to compare.

Last edited:
South Central PA above the Mason Dixon line
Bike
2012 ST1300
I have a 2012 ST-1300 (bought in December with 3,600 miles) that I just replaced the ft with a Verge 011 and used my usual Ride-On TPS in the tire. I figured that the front at 6500 miles had gotten HARD. Any way the Ride-on stuff usually smooths out the ride. I did not like my last Raven ft tire because of the center groove. It was excellent in everything except grated bridges and over them it was horrible, nasty and felt like I would loose control at any time. So this time I ordered a Raven rear and Verge 011 front. With the 011 on the front the bike (no rear change yet) the bike is spooky smooth and quiet. Cant wait to get the on. A friend and I have a New England ride coming up in a few weeks in search of lobster.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I was looking around last week, and I believe the raven doesn't come in the correct size for the front of our bike anymore. At least AMT, Revzilla and Amazon didn't have it. The Vergex2 doesn't come in the correct size for the rear, but it's close (180/55-17) I've read some reviews that say the Vergex2 front is too triangular, but it wasn't on an ST, so who knows?

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, I bit the bullet, and picket up a set of 011s They're on the bike, but the rear caliper bolt was seized, and I can't change out the pads. Getting that issue worked now...

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I just had a verge put on the front and a raven on the rear, they don't play well together. three hundred plus miles and got the death wobble yesterday catching up to some friends, I was going 115mph when it happened. sidewall are real hard o both tires

Bike
R1200rt
I just had a verge put on the front and a raven on the rear, they don't play well together. three hundred plus miles and got the death wobble yesterday catching up to some friends, I was going 115mph when it happened. sidewall are real hard o both tires
don't be so eager to condemn the tires. Wobble even happens at MOTOGP with all the technology they have. Early Honda v45 Magnas were notorious for wobble. This is a good article that explains the physics behind it. https://motorbikewriter.com/avoid-tank-slapper/

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
I have the first version of the Verge. The only complaint I have so far is that when leaned over the tread pattern can make a VVVVV or BBBBBB sound. Outside of that I have no real complaints . I will by the second version the Verge for sure. They heat up fast and grain up rear with two up. I will be happy to get 7500 -8k miles.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I did a road trip with the 011's. Did not like them. Bike wobbled too much and had a vague feeling the whole time, especially in the twisties. Move ahead 4k miles after the trip and got home, I noticed that they handled better in the twisites. I'd only buy another set if I really had to. As for the Verge 016x2's, I put them on my ZRX1200. I saw a review on them from a track rider that did a test on 3 different tires. They roll ok in a turn, then bam! then really roll over fast. They did just that with me. Kinda scares ya. Almost like the bike is gonna fall over. Looking at some Road II's on sale for just under $200. I just hope they aren't really old.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, got a couple hundred miles (I think) on them now. Mostly colder temps, but I've noticed they feel really good in the corners. I've noticed a little potential wobble at around 80-85, but not sure thats due to the tires. For the most part, I have to say I like them so far, especially for the price.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, had the bike up past 80+ (indicated) a few times now, and no noticeable wobble. Tires feel pretty good in transition/S curves. For the price, I'm liking them.

Top Bottom