Can this pass as being a Baby Brother to the ST1300

OP
OP
Nice looking CBF600 matey.
I had the CBF1000 from 2008 to 2011, lovely bike. Mine had the three piece luggage too and was in the candy gold.
I wouldn't worry about the chain, I did on longer journeys but there was no need. Did 3500 miles to Tuscany and back and it was as tight when I got back as when I left. Comfy for two up to. Just carry one of them small cans of dry lube just in case it rains etc.
If I hadn't have sold it I would have stiffened up the front suspension and changed the rear shock, they were just a little lightweight for two up touring. Honda got it right with this 600/1000.
Oh, consider a side stand foot enlargement, it gets a little wobbly when loaded.
Upt'North.
I had researched the CBF600 for quite awhile and seems it is very popular on the other side of the pond. Every thing I find seems to speak very highly of the bike. Honda Canada only brought the bike into
this country for a short period of time and now have discontinued it here, too bad. I think it may have grown a following over here. I was seriously looking at a Suzuki vstrom or Kawasaki versys as Honda did not
have a smaller style ride like that. All seem to be heavy and I was no longer interested in heavy. I found this one and had to snap it up. 2010 with 1050 kms, can't go wrong, I hope.

John

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Welcome to the wonderful world of smaller, lighter, simpler bikes. You're going to have a lot of fun on it.

Don't be afraid of the chain, once you embrace it, you'll love it. Give it a spray with Dupont Teflon Chainsaver (available in most Walmarts) once every 500 or 600 miles while the chain is still warm from riding, clean it occasionally, and it'll last a long time. Modern chains are like that. On the plus side, you can change your gearing whenever you want to.

Looks like a great bike. Congratulation!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I had researched the CBF600 for quite awhile and seems it is very popular on the other side of the pond. Every thing I find seems to speak very highly of the bike. Honda Canada only brought the bike into
this country for a short period of time and now have discontinued it here, too bad. I think it may have grown a following over here. I was seriously looking at a Suzuki vstrom or Kawasaki versys as Honda did not
have a smaller style ride like that. All seem to be heavy and I was no longer interested in heavy. I found this one and had to snap it up. 2010 with 1050 kms, can't go wrong, I hope.

John
Yup - that bike does sound ideal, particularly with those nice hard bags etc.

On the GPS - the proper motorcycle Garmin model - the ZUMI - is indeed very expensive. You can get a conventional car GPS for a fraction of the cost and I saw a little article on waterproofing a standard Garmin GPS. It was very simple and appeared to be highly effective. All the guy did was mask the screen using a piece of a Post-It note carefully trimmed to leave a very tiny portion of the screen around the edge of the tape. Then he smeared silicone sealer around the edge of the screen and then after it cured, he removed the Post-It leaving behind a sealed screen. Here is a linky to his video - and be sure to watch his garden hose test at the end. It is very convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg

Cheers,

Pete

OP
OP
Well the CBF is still sitting at the dealer. Woke up yesterday morning to 13 cms of heavy wet snow and wold temps. Looks like it will be a while at least
until the end of the week until it starts to warm up. :(. Oh well the dealer says it can stay in the shop until the weather is decent enough and I can get over.

As for insurance, went to register it and SG! (plate and insurance) government owned stated that this is a sport bike and the cost is astronomical. Through CAA
while registering it as a sport bike we called SGI to determine why and they said it is based on the engine. Well plated as sport bike. Later in the day I got an email from
from SGI advised they researched the bike and determined that it is a cruiser touring and not a sport. So they are adjusting the category. The cost is a lot cheaper and less
that what my old Goldwing was. SGI has only three classifications - cruiser/touring, sport or dual purpose. Well guess it paid off to question why it was a sport bike and not
a touring/cruiser classification.

John

John

OP
OP
Time for an update now that I have had an opportunity to get a few rides in under my belt. No long rides yet
as just getting use to the difference.

My impression so far:

Pros:

Great little bike.
Seat is very comfortable for being stock. No need for a different seat.
Rides nice and smooth. No vibrations.
Nimble and very responsive.
Easy no move around.
Exceptional gas mileage so far. Averaging 70.33 mpg (imperial).
Plenty for get up and go for me. Puts out 76 bhp.

Con:
Haven't found any yet.

Great little bike. Sure enjoying it.

Few days ago visited my friendly mechanic and he walked me through proper lubing of the chain
and what I should keep an eye on.

Tweaked a few areas to suit me.

Tomorrow going to see him again and will install a usb adapter to power my Nuvi gps, etc. Going to wire it to plug into the
battery tender cable from the battery. Looking at putting on a on/off switch by the usb adapter.

Looking forward to riding and camping with the black beast.

Everyone ride safe.

John

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Congrats!
Re the switch from shaft drive to chain. I an on Triumph Tiger 955 with chain drive. Best thing I ever did was install a Scottoiler. I haven't lubed the chain in over 10,000 miles and it looks like it just came out of the package. Virtually no wear and I don't have to mess with chain lube.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
Black will look good with my white helmet and hi viz jacket. This black has freckles (speckles) that makes it look different from angles when the sun hits it.

Bike comes with a centre stand as standard equipment and ABS is standard.

I know black is a little hard to keep shiny but that was a trade off.

Isn't black the speediest one out there.

John
I now my black ST is pretty speedy!
that is a good looking ride you got there!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DavidR8 said:
Re the switch from shaft drive to chain. I an on Triumph Tiger 955 with chain drive. Best thing I ever did was install a Scottoiler. I haven't lubed the chain in over 10,000 miles and it looks like it just came out of the package. Virtually no wear and I don't have to mess with chain lube.
If I had room for second bike that might possibly sway me towards chain drive (CB1100EX). (Belt drive would be even better). Like everybody here I went through years and year and years of messing with chain lube/adjustment/cleaning the tire and rim/noise etc. It burned me out on chains. The ST came along and I only rarely and briefly look back.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Nice looking bike. I'm going to have to look into one of these for short trips and around town.

Bike
R1200rt
Nice ride. There are quite a few different bike at STOC events. Besides I think the ST stands for "still ticking".

Top Bottom