Sena 20S phone sound

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I believe if you use the Sena App you can set individual settings through it. I haven fooled around with it yet but there must be a way.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Are you aware that the prompts have a separate volume control. You may have spun the wheel without knowing it.

Been there and done it once and also thought they were broken.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
In my experience, the Sena 20S is promising, is complex, but is still a bit buggy. I've had difficulty with the 20S staying paired with my BMW RT whenever the 20S is paired with my iPhone. If I leave the iPhone unpaired, the 20S works fine with the RT. And volume is maximum on my 20S all the time. Earsplitting loud. To solve, I've added an inline volume control to my earbuds with the earbuds plugged into the 20S' helmet mount.

Firmware updates haven't changed a thing. I've just given up trying to fix the issue, and now don't pair my iPhone to the 20S and I use an inline volume control to manage volume. Pretty expensive for those basic issues!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In my experience, the Sena 20S is promising, is complex, but is still a bit buggy.

Firmware updates haven't changed a thing. I've just given up trying to fix the issue, Pretty expensive for those basic issues!
This has been my experience as well. If I only rode by myself the cheapie paired to my phone would be fine.

However the ability to communicate with my two buddies (especially when something was amiss and we needed to pull over) or just chat if we felt like it makes up for the cost.

Yeah I wished it worked more reliably than it does and that the UI wasn't so awkward and complex and that it wasn't so easy to hit the Jog wheel when I raise/lower my Neo sun visor. Still when it works which is most of the time I'm really :grin:ing.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have both the 20S and the 30K. When I have my phone paired to my Sena and my ZUMO 660 GPS, they fight for phone calls! I find I'm better off leaving my phone connected to my GPS (so I can see who's calling me) and not my Senas.

I also find that sometimes when the Senas (either one) connect to the GPS, so I can hear my MP3s, it sounds like the old radio station that is off station. Sometimes by turning off the Sena and turning it back on, it comes in much clearer.

Also, one of my 20Ss (have two of each) died on me and wouldn't charge. So I emailed Sena and I have a replacement on the way...as soon as they get more in..I guess.

I bought the dual pack 30K after the one 20S died, not realizing that they are covered for two years. So I just might have some 20Ss for sell soon! ;)

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I believe if you use the Sena App you can set individual settings through it. I haven fooled around with it yet but there must be a way.
Thanks Steve, I've tried all the setting controls in the app w/o success. Even shot everything back to factory settings with no luck.

Are you aware that the prompts have a separate volume control. You may have spun the wheel without knowing it.

Been there and done it once and also thought they were broken.

Sent using Tapatalk
I figured they should but cant figure out how to change it. Manual doesn't specify, that I can ascertain, on how to do it. I've watched every Sena video in their 'help library' and I cant find anything in any of them where it's mentioned. Although I did learn a lot... If you know the drill I'd appreciate the training.... Been using the 20s for a couple years and never had this happen.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'm not at home so trying my best to remember, but I think that if you start to adjust the volume upward right after you power the unit on, it will then adjust this volume.

We had this same issue one time and thought that we couldn't get the units to pair. They were trying, we just couldn't hear the prompts

Sent using Tapatalk

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I was having this issue and found that if I turn the volume to a comfortable level while using the phone after that it was fine. This did not affect the music volume.
I had a similar situation with playing music from my Samsung. I couldn't get the volume level up high enough to hear well at all through the Sena. I just happened to stumble on the music volume on the phone and found it was turned way down. Once I turned it up, the problem was solved.

I'd be surprised if that isn't the solution for the loud ring tone.

Chris

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I have both the 20S and the 30K. When I have my phone paired to my Sena and my ZUMO 660 GPS, they fight for phone calls! I find I'm better off leaving my phone connected to my GPS (so I can see who's calling me) and not my Senas....
It sounds like you have your phone paired to both devices. Try unpairing your phone and Sena. Once you do that, you won't have a problem.

My phone pairs to the GPS. The GPS pairs to the Sena.

Chris

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It sounds like you have your phone paired to both devices. Try unpairing your phone and Sena. Once you do that, you won't have a problem.

My phone pairs to the GPS. The GPS pairs to the Sena.

Chris
I had my 20S set up that way, and found if I waited for the GPS to pickup the phone before turning on the SENA, it worked fine. However, the 30K didn't like that set up so I removed my phone from the 30K. It's working fine now!

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I tried a firmware update-no luck; Tried a factory reset-No luck.
Finally a factory reset then I decided to wipe the firmware off my computer and reinstall. Then re-uploaded firmware on Sena and voila, worked like a charm. Prompts are now regular volume and everything works as it did before. Buggy little thing...

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would bet the firmware didn't find a comfortable place to sit during the download and reloading it corrected whatever what out of kilter.

Best thing... it's an easy check. If Tim deletes the current firmware download, reloads, and it fixes his... we've got a winner! :1st:

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Hi all. Some interesting news, and it appears Jeff has stumbled across the answer. I am sure it was intentional as JRob is a smart guy. Anyways I was just watching a video from Sena and the part of the video that got the most attention was, " you are recommended to do a factory reset after any firmware update" Here is the link and although it is good to watch the entire video and others, skip to 3:20...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOEHnZYA9E

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Just did a firmware update from 1.7.5 to 1.7.7 on my 20S. Very first thing I notice is that the 20S is much more responsive--even the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager connects to it faster. Out of curiosity, I reapplied firmware 1.7.7 and it took the firmware update twice as fast the second time. Did the factory reset, deleted pairing my BMW RT, rebooted everything and repaired. Fingers crossed that this resolves the earsplitting loud audio that my 20S delivered through earbuds...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Fingers crossed that this resolves the earsplitting loud audio that my 20S delivered through earbuds...
Didn’t solve it, however it is less earsplitting. I still have to use an inline volume control to my earbuds.

This 20S is annoying.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Didn’t solve it, however it is less earsplitting. I still have to use an inline volume control to my earbuds.

This 20S is annoying.
If you havent already, go in your phone settings and sounds, then find the alert and turn it down. See if that works perhaps.

Top Bottom