ST1300 - clutch adjustment options or new slave cylinder?

OP
OP
Buckeye Rich
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
With the engine off you should be able to hear the clutch interlock switch click. Where is the lever when that happens? Anyway it's well that you found some improvement and at minimal expense.
I'll check tomorrow. I don't believe it will cause an issue. I filed of 1.55mm which is .061 inches.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Think of it this way - you don't have to pull it in very far when you're downshifting. When you're upshifting, you really don't need to use the clutch anyway... :)
+1 on the upshifting, but in my case at least downshifting is much easier and smother without using the clutch too. I've become so used to shifting without the clutch that it's a challenge for me to try to downshift USING the clutch.

Bike
07 ST1300
I just always use the clutch while shifting. Seems like less of a shock to the transmission and motor bits. Plus I rev match downshifts. Always have. Why would you not do this? School me.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Modern transmissions are so well synchronized that you really don't need the clutch while shifting up or down, if you use proper technique and timing. I think there's a bit more shock to the parts on downshifts, and I like to control the back torque when shifting down, which is why I use the clutch then. On upshifts, there really isn't any shock to the parts that you don't have when using the clutch, provided you're off the throttle and in the right rev range when you do it.

Why do it? I don't have a good explanation for that. It might just be sheer laziness, or the desire to save the hand a bit when in situations where you need a lot of shifting. One advantage is that you can pick your nose while accelerating. Oh wait, gloves... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. The fluid has been flushed and replaced.

I'm not sure an adjustable lever actually "fixes" the issue. I think it only moves the lever closer (or further). The issue of the late engagement/disengagement is not actually addressed. I would like for the friction zone to be "moved" more to the center of the lever pull. I hope I'm explaining it correctly.
The adjustable levers will do what what you want. I have them on my vfr and i can make the clutch grab in the middle. Not to mention they just feel so much better. Sounds crazy I know but it was the best 30 bucks I spent on that bike!

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
[QUOTE=Full

True, I got mine for I believe a CBR from Honda. Really help those small handed people :) :06biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Greetings,

The clutch engagement/disengagement is all the way at the end of the lever.
I suppose you already opened and checked the reservoir, but just in case:

-- Had a dealer bled clutch behaving just like you describe (engaging much further out than it used to) when I got the bike back from him.

I found the fluid level below the mark and the rubber membrane not seated properly.

Cannot figure out how any of that could effect the friction point, but the clutch is back to what it used to be.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just always use the clutch while shifting. Seems like less of a shock to the transmission and motor bits. Plus I rev match downshifts. Always have. Why would you not do this? School me.
I always rev match my downshifts also. The way I do that is start to decelerate first, lightly preload the shifter, then 'blip' the throttle slightly to unload the drivetrain, the shift will occur 'magically' at the instant the revs match. If you are able to do this once to see how it works, it will come second nature.

Top Bottom