Coolant Choices

Bike
2006 ST1300
Has anyone tried non OEM coolant? I saw on You Tube someone used automotive Honda Blue Type 2 that was supposedly safe for motorcycle engines.
Just wondering if anyone has had good luck using something else.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have not tried it,,, but that waterless coolant sounded interesting. I think the brand was Evan's,,, but a quick search would find the thread on it,,, Cat'

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have been using O'Reilly universal antifreeze & coolant 50/50 pre-diluted (for aluminum engines).
It states right on the bottle in big red letters SILICATE & PHOSPHATE FREE FORMULA MEETS ASTM D3306 AND ASTM D4340, (same on the Honda coolant bottles).

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Luck isn't a factor. Read the requirements in the manual, find a product that meets them and your engine will be fine. (Same as oil, but I'm not starting an oil thread here.)

Honda Type 2 is the same stuff whether you buy it from the motorcycle or car dealer. If you want to feel particularly upscale, the Acura-branded Type 2 is also the same stuff.

I currently have ordinary Prestone 50/50 prediluted in my ST because I couldn't get out to the local Honda (car) dealer last time I needed some.

--Mark

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I currently have ordinary Prestone 50/50 prediluted in my ST because I couldn't get out to the local Honda (car) dealer last time I needed some.
So, you are gonna blow up your engine? :radleak:
I use anything that is phosphate and silicate free.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Has anyone tried non OEM coolant? I saw on You Tube someone used automotive Honda Blue Type 2 that was supposedly safe for motorcycle engines.
Just wondering if anyone has had good luck using something else.
Honda Type 2 was recommended to me a couple of weeks ago when I asked about topping up the aunt freeze jug. But, it is not cheap juice (I think it cost me 19.95 a gallon + sales tax). I called three dealerships - the price ranged from $20 to $28 a gallon, and a Honda MC dealer wanted $8 a quart for the MC juice (all prices + sales tax). If you use the wrong stuff, you can kill the water pump, I was told incompatible AF's can jell, and who knows what other damage can be done.

And, yes, I mixed the Type 2 with the Honda MC AF in the overflow cannister. I'll be changing it in a year or two anyway (recommended by Honda every two years).

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I used Evan's Waterless Coolant in my ST1100 and my 1st and now 2nd ST1300. Permanent coolant, don't need to worry about the pressure in the system. Never had any problems in tens of thousands of miles.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I use anything that is phosphate and silicate free.
I rather doubt Mark is going to blow anything up. He is way smarter than that. I've heard that the silicate/silica? containing af's can be abrasive on the water pump seal/bearing- that is what I read quite a while ago about their cars and Goldwings (have done no more investigation than that). Have not heard much about the phosphates causing problems. In any case, the damage will take a long time (relatively) to surface, and an explosion is not one of the outcomes.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Maybe, but not with the coolant. :rimshot1:

Really, this isn't rocket science. You hold Honda's list of requirements in one hand and a jug of coolant in the other and see if they match. With Prestone's plain-Jane 50/50 in the yellow jug:

Honda Requirement in Owner's ManualMetComments
Ethylene glycol:yes:
antifreeze:yes:
(silicate-free):yes:
for aluminum engines:yes:Aluminum engines are a subset of all engines.
in 50/50 solution:yes:
with Pro Honda HP Coolant or an equivalent:yes:Equivalent: Meets all requirements above and below this one.
and distilled water.:yes:Demineralized. Same thing for these purposes.

Requirements met: 7. Requirements not met: 0. This product is just fine.

--Mark

Bike
ST 1300 2005 41K

st1300doug

Yep......the BEST. NO water. Many Racers use it. 375 boil temp, higher than normal....just in case. Saves seals, rubber grommets, etc. Less evaporation too.
I used Evan's Waterless Coolant in my ST1100 and my 1st and now 2nd ST1300. Permanent coolant, don't need to worry about the pressure in the system. Never had any problems in tens of thousands of miles.

Top Bottom