Making a Video about making Video

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
This will be it for a month or so lol... here's a short video about me making my intro and ending tags for last year's video's.
In order to create the bit under the titles and at the end where I try to get people to subscribe, which is about 33 sec. of footage, I spent about 30 min. in the camera setup and creating the footage.
Then I spent an hour editing it, putting a general title on and adding music. I've used those clips over and over again this year as you may have noticed.
Today I spent another 5 hours (maybe... with breaks) editing the video from last summer from 3 different cameras to make this 11 min. lol... creating videos is like using firewood for fuel. It warms you 4 time. Once when you cut it, once when you split it, once when you stack it and finally it warms you again when you burn it. Not that I am burning video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxW-QzIHW-U&t=25s

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd never miss music in a video if everybody stopped including it. I really HATE that so many bike vids have crap metal-grundge-thrash-house-industrial-whatever 'music' and it's almost always too loud. I start all of these with the sound off.

And then there's videos like yours. Pleasant music that fits how I feel when I ride and lets me feel some of that just by watching a video. What a concept. I like the narration too.

I wondered if you had an accomplice in making the fly-bys or were the trusting type. A nice peek behind the curtain.

Nice work Jim. Seriously.

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'd never miss music in a video if everybody stopped including it. I really HATE that so many bike vids have crap metal-grundge-thrash-house-industrial-whatever 'music' and it's almost always too loud. I start all of these with the sound off.

And then there's videos like yours. Pleasant music that fits how I feel when I ride and lets me feel some of that just by watching a video. What a concept. I like the narration too.

I wondered if you had an accomplice in making the fly-bys or were the trusting type. A nice peek behind the curtain.

Nice work Jim. Seriously.
Thanks... I'm certainly having fun producing the videos. Might have an accomplice this summer for a few of them, but for the most part I will be doing the "slight-of-hand" solo videographer thing. The ST1300 always feels like a more Jazzy or Bluesy ride than grunge rock. I tend a little more on the country side some days.
Toughest things these days is finding enough royalty free music... will be doing more searches and downloading.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Thanks... I'm certainly having fun producing the videos. Might have an accomplice this summer for a few of them, but for the most part I will be doing the "slight-of-hand" solo videographer thing. The ST1300 always feels like a more Jazzy or Bluesy ride than grunge rock. I tend a little more on the country side some days.
Toughest things these days is finding enough royalty free music... will be doing more searches and downloading.
I'll give you the jazzy bluesy thing, but when I hit the real twisty stuff, I switch to hard rock......

Great video, look forward to seeing more.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Very nice. I am having issues as my little action camera took a dump and appears bricked after a software update. What camera's do you use btw or recommend? I know the sky is the limit $ wise but something reasonable. Great work with the video!

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Very nice. I am having issues as my little action camera took a dump and appears bricked after a software update. What camera's do you use btw or recommend? I know the sky is the limit $ wise but something reasonable. Great work with the video!
I've ended up with the Veho Muvi K2. When I was researching and trying to find an alternative to the GoPro (price!) I found these were a really good value, have the same video specs and I got both on Amazon for a really discounted price. Partially luck?
When looking at side by side comparisons you can see a little difference but not much.I shot all last year at HD 1080p at 30 fps as this gives a little longer shooting time and is a touch better in lower light but I am going to shoot all this year at HD 1080p 60 fps which should make high speed rides alook a little smoother. I can shoot at 120 fps but I have to drop the resolution down to 720p to do this. Mind you, that should still give a very good video quality for YouTube etc. Maybe i will try my own side by side comaprison fo the two frame rates? Maybe I will.
They come in various kit (accessories) forms whereas it seems the GoPro accessories are always separate. They have waterproof housings as an accessory (I ended up with two as they came in the particular kits I ordered). I'm not totally happy with the optional lapel mic, but that may be due to me not finding right spot to attach it to me or place in the helmet. It will not link to audio in from say a Sena headset/communicator which I do believe the GoPro will, but I'm to cheap to buy the Sena anyway lol.
I plan to do a full video on what gear I am using and where I have been mounting it and where I am planning new mounts.
There are certainly a lot of good little cameras out there. I would shy away from some of the really cheap Chinese knockoffs, but I will admit, some of them have surprisingly good specs.
Some of the Contour, Panasonic and Sony cams are great and hug the helmet a little better. This Brit uses Ghost cameras normally at 1080p 30fps and has some great touring videos of him and buddies on VFR800s? in Europe and last year touring the States.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RichyVida/featured

I have found YouTube to be a great place to find comparisons and get an idea of what the various cameras will do.
I will certainly post here when I do my equipment video.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I've ended up with the Veho Muvi K2. When I was researching and trying to find an alternative to the GoPro (price!) I found these were a really good value, have the same video specs and I got both on Amazon for a really discounted price. Partially luck?
When looking at side by side comparisons you can see a little difference but not much.I shot all last year at HD 1080p at 30 fps as this gives a little longer shooting time and is a touch better in lower light but I am going to shoot all this year at HD 1080p 60 fps which should make high speed rides alook a little smoother. I can shoot at 120 fps but I have to drop the resolution down to 720p to do this. Mind you, that should still give a very good video quality for YouTube etc. Maybe i will try my own side by side comaprison fo the two frame rates? Maybe I will.
They come in various kit (accessories) forms whereas it seems the GoPro accessories are always separate. They have waterproof housings as an accessory (I ended up with two as they came in the particular kits I ordered). I'm not totally happy with the optional lapel mic, but that may be due to me not finding right spot to attach it to me or place in the helmet. It will not link to audio in from say a Sena headset/communicator which I do believe the GoPro will, but I'm to cheap to buy the Sena anyway lol.
I plan to do a full video on what gear I am using and where I have been mounting it and where I am planning new mounts.
There are certainly a lot of good little cameras out there. I would shy away from some of the really cheap Chinese knockoffs, but I will admit, some of them have surprisingly good specs.
Some of the Contour, Panasonic and Sony cams are great and hug the helmet a little better. This Brit uses Ghost cameras normally at 1080p 30fps and has some great touring videos of him and buddies on VFR800s? in Europe and last year touring the States.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RichyVida/featured

I have found YouTube to be a great place to find comparisons and get an idea of what the various cameras will do.
I will certainly post here when I do my equipment video.
Thank you for the information and yes I got one of the Chinese knockoffs (GITUP2) and it bricked after an update. Will not come on or anything. They tried to tell me to roll back to an earlier version but had to explain that the camera will not function. Going to put a ticket in and see how much this would cost to send back etc. Figure lesson learned and go a different path next time.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom