Rostra VS Throttle Lock- My Experience With Both

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Hi,

Since I have had experience with both electronic cruise control and throttle locks, I can with certainty that for about the same money as a throttle lock, and a little more time wiring, you can have a well functioning electronic cruise control that will hold the speed uphill and downhill. If you live in South Florida, you might be able to get away with a throttle lock, but elsewhere, you will set the throttle lock at 60 mph on level road, and at the first hill, it will slow to 50 mph, then speed to 70 mph downhill. My Rostra Cruise Control will set at 60 mph on level road, and the first hill, might drop a mph or so, depending on the steepness of the hill, and might increase a mph on the downhill, depending on the steepness of the hills.

I used a Goldwing Cruise Control Switch on my ST1100, so it looks like it came on the bike. I followed some instructions on connecting the wires to the cruise control, and used a Dremel tool to hollow out the Lead piece that fits on the throttle cable to allow the cruise control loop to fit in the slot on the wheel the cables attach to. It has worked perfectly. I didn't have to fashion a swingarm in the tight space.

If you decide to give it a try, there are many posts that address any problem you may face. On my ST1100, there was space under the right side fairing to fit it between frame supports to the fairing and the plastic. The connections were mainly in the area in front of the air cleaner housing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
used a Dremel tool to hollow out the Lead piece that fits on the throttle cable to allow the cruise control loop to fit in the slot on the wheel the cables attach to
Seth - If you ever have a reason to be in there again, I'd be interested in pictures of how you did the throttle cable part of it. That has always been an issue with the ST1100s and aftermarket cruise controls.

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Hi Uncle Phil,

Here is a rough sketch of the lead plug I notched out to fit the cable loop on the throttle pulley. There isn't enough room to loop around the lead piece, so I cut out a small section to allow room for the loop. I have done it on 2 motorcycles I have installed the Rostra, and it seemed to be much easier than rigging up a swingarm in that tight space. The part of the lead cylinder that is not trimmed is where is is pulled against, and it has never come out. It took a minute of trimming with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. I didn't have to remove the cable except pull it out of the pulley, trim, loop the CC loop, push it all back into the slot on the pulley. First time, I trimmed a little, and tried to fit. Second time, I trimmed it in 30 seconds

.IMG_20170411_161452[1].jpg

I wanted to just cut a notch, but the thing is so small, I just trimmed 1/3 of the barrel to make room for the loop. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Hi Uncle Phil,

Here is a rough sketch of the lead plug I notched out to fit the cable loop on the throttle pulley. There isn't enough room to loop around the lead piece, so I cut out a small section to allow room for the loop. I have done it on 2 motorcycles I have installed the Rostra, and it seemed to be much easier than rigging up a swingarm in that tight space. The part of the lead cylinder that is not trimmed is where is is pulled against, and it has never come out. It took a minute of trimming with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. I didn't have to remove the cable except pull it out of the pulley, trim, loop the CC loop, push it all back into the slot on the pulley. First time, I trimmed a little, and tried to fit. Second time, I trimmed it in 30 seconds

.IMG_20170411_161452[1].jpg

I wanted to just cut a notch, but the thing is so small, I just trimmed 1/3 of the barrel to make room for the loop. Hope that helps.
I found a photo of the cable just before heat shrinking the wrap around the loop and chain connector.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMbxEkTR4iFFEkF6xMDCxtl12fDMRMCGtj-QCe85ZF2u4-n9mEq33optuI0Ku3Exg?key=WDJGWVRqQndoS1AzTmdOSlp4cC1PWHdERUNaT2JR

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So basically you removed the lead 'plug' Dremeled so you could loop cable around it. I think I got it. Did you make the loop or did you buy it?

Also, did you attach the cruise control cable to a brace or bracket?

Last edited:
OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
No, I removed the cable from the pulley, Dremeled the lead plug without removing to create notch for loop, then placed cable with loop into slot on pulley. I wish I had taken photos of it, but the sketches show what I did on one end of the plug. The loop came with the Rostra 250-1223 kit. I then braced the CC cable along side of the pull cable. Let me find another photo:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMPmFpnOx9p91jIAJULzkOSv_mH662TWXXRv063

This photo shows how the cable was braced, before I heat shrinked the plastic protector.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I can with certainty that for about the same money as a throttle lock, and a little more time wiring, you can have a well functioning electronic cruise control that will hold the speed uphill and downhill.
:plus1: I had a throttle lock and now the Rostra, but with the Rostra control and I am so impressed! This is the way to go folks.

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Here is another photo of the GoldWing Cruise Control switch. Another hole needed to be drilled in handlebars for the tab that keeps the unit in place on the bars.2013-08-21 16.59.41.jpg

OP
OP
drseth
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Here is another photo of the GoldWing Cruise Control switch. Another hole needed to be drilled in handlebars for the tab that keeps the unit in place on the bars.2013-08-21 16.59.41.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a note - The MCCruise (which is what I have) puts the magnets inside the heads of the rotor bolts. I've got the size (3/16 in x 1/4 in Thick, Grade N42 or Rare Earth Permanent Nd-Fe-B Magnets D 6x6mm) as I had to order them for one of my ST1100s (bought a used unit). They just stick in the holes and protrude just enough to be 'seen' by the Hall Sensor. And since they are stuck in the metal bolts, they stay firmly 'attached'. Nice job with the GoldWing switch. Reg Siemens did the same thing with the Police Switch which also made for a sweet install.

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
On the economics side, what did it cost for the Rostra and other parts? For comparison, I pay about $22 for a Vista Cruise that lasts me about 80k miles.

Ray

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I pay about $22 for a Vista Cruise
Vista Cruise is not a cruise control. Its a piece of plastic. If we want to talk the economics of a device, compare apples to apples not apples to dirt. Kiltman, good cost comparison and I would say the Rostra, even though more money, is a better option as it actually works as a CC should, holding the speed very well. The audiovox that i removed, well reason was valid, drops of the speed and inconsistent speed.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Vista Cruise is not a cruise control. Its a piece of plastic. If we want to talk the economics of a device, compare apples to apples not apples to dirt. Kiltman, good cost comparison and I would say the Rostra, even though more money, is a better option as it actually works as a CC should, holding the speed very well. The audiovox that i removed, well reason was valid, drops of the speed and inconsistent speed.
I wouldn't argue with you on that observation. I've modified my unit on the second install. I was looking at the Valkerie site and they use oneway valves from the vacuum hoses which I too have done. I also have the the cruise control throttle cable looping on a better path. It's holding speed much better now. I chose to select a more aggressive control with the dip switches. I'm a happier camper now.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The Rostra is $260 at Murphs Kits http://www.murphskits.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=64
The Audio Vox cc100 is $180 http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=422

I have the audiovoc cc100 and it works very well, It's worth the money in my opinion considering what performance awards are running nowadays. ;)

(performance award in Ontario is $95 for 20km over the limit and you get three points on your license)
Surely you too can get a performance award with a cruise control. I did it in my car......

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Well sure, I understand the difference between a throttle lock and cruise. I was just challenging the contention in post #1 that they cost about the same.

Top Bottom