Well that was short lived....

Bike
2005 ST1300
Brought the bike in for a servicing after sitting for the winter. Dealer says they pulled a bunch of water from the lower tank and cleaned out the fuel pump and injectors that were gummed up.

Picked up the bike this morning and it was like a new bike. The acceleration was phenomenal. She also got new shoes (PR4 GTs) so I didn't test it too much.

Got back to town (35 miles) parked it and when I walked back outside there was a huge puddle of oil underneath and fuel was streaming on to the ground. Called the shop and to thei credit, they're sending someone to pick up the bike.

This doesn't look good. Any thoughts on what could have happened? It was running fine when I shut it off.

Bike
92 ST1100
Brought the bike in for a servicing after sitting for the winter. Dealer says they pulled a bunch of water from the lower tank and cleaned out the fuel pump and injectors that were gummed up.

Picked up the bike this morning and it was like a new bike. The acceleration was phenomenal. She also got new shoes (PR4 GTs) so I didn't test it too much.

Got back to town (35 miles) parked it and when I walked back outside there was a huge puddle of oil underneath and fuel was streaming on to the ground. Called the shop and to thei credit, they're sending someone to pick up the bike.

This doesn't look good. Any thoughts on what could have happened? It was running fine when I shut it off.
THAT error definitely attributed to shop personnel ;).

Bike
2005 st1300
possibly the hose connecting the upper tank to the lower tank. It sounds like they probably had the hose off and there are instances where that hose has leaked after removing and reinstalling it. It seems it is fragile
Not sure on the oil spill. Did they have the valve covers off?

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
possibly the hose connecting the upper tank to the lower tank. It sounds like they probably had the hose off and there are instances where that hose has leaked after removing and reinstalling it. It seems it is fragile
Not sure on the oil spill. Did they have the valve covers off?
+2, a 12 year old bike and if they messed with the fuel system they probably tilted the tank... the lower hose probably had a crack and it took some pressure in the system via expanded air volume to cause it to leak.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
The air filter was replaced, the headlight bulbs were replaced and the tank was removed to clean out some rust.

So that probably explains the fuel leak. Now where'd the oil come from?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The air filter was replaced, the headlight bulbs were replaced and the tank was removed to clean out some rust.

Doesn't make sense given what you said they did... but, let them look at it and see what they have to say.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Was it not running when you took it in? Nothing described isn't anything a few tanks spiked with a good fuel system cleaner wouldn't take care of.

--Mark

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Was it oil maybe a the fuel leak washed some crud off the block?
Post back what they say. The upper/lower tank fuel joint hose could have cracked or they could have messed up the seal on the lower tank.
If it ran ok when you drove it there wassup with pulling the pump?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

Did they perform a valve clearance check? If so the might have put one of the valve cover gaskets back incorrectly or damaged it. BTDT

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have seen dealerships leaving the oil fill cap and or o-ring off or missing, that might explain the oil, as far as the fuel, as stated, the hose that connects the two tanks is supposed to be replaced every time the tank is lifted, no granted alot of folks don't do this, however, it is subject to getting hard and crack, and will dump all your upper tank fuel all over the engine and down in the same area as the oil filter. This may have "cleaned" the underside of the bike and that may be what your seeing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So the lesson for all of us here is to acquire a new fuel hose before starting any work like that and replace it when before remounting the upper tank!
You should inspect the hose periodically. If it were me, I'd replace it every 5 years or if I've done enough tank lifts to weaken it upon inspection.

Bike
2005 st1300
After reading this yesterday, went straight to the dealer and ordered a new fuel hose. I figure 12 years is pushing my luck.
to the OP, do let us know what the oil leak was. Curious...

Top Bottom