New V-Strom 650 to replace ST1100

STOC #
Well, after lots of thought and a cold March ride on the Lost Dutchman's V-Strom, I bought one.
Picked up a leftover 2016 on April,1 and have become a regular stop for Fedex ever since!
Happy Trails, Adventure Tech and Tour and Ride have kept me busy with the blue threadlock...

Attachments

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Congrats on the new Wee. Has it had the recall work done, for replacing the stator? I'm still waiting on the dealer to get in enough stators, so I can get mine replaced on the 2013 Wee that I bought last Fall. Mine hasn't failed, but I don't want to take any long trips before it's fixed.

Ride Safe
John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's a fun little bike... I had the 13 that Boston now owns.. it's nice to push a bike around in the garage like it's a toy lol Mileage in the mtns was amazing and tire life is much improved on a lighter bike as well.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
First thing I asked was whether the recall had been done. Yep, done in January, showed me the paperwork.

Congrats on the new Wee. Has it had the recall work done, for replacing the stator? I'm still waiting on the dealer to get in enough stators, so I can get mine replaced on the 2013 Wee that I bought last Fall. Mine hasn't failed, but I don't want to take any long trips before it's fixed.

Ride Safe
John

Reactions: TOS
OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
Yes, pushing it around is no longer a workout. The bars are wider than I had my Heli-Bars set and even with the 19" front tire she handles really nice. Only about 200+ miles so far so not sure about mileage yet. I have noticed that the bike carries up hills (Moderate) without the need for more throttle like the ST did.

That's a fun little bike... I had the 13 that Boston now owns.. it's nice to push a bike around in the garage like it's a toy lol Mileage in the mtns was amazing and tire life is much improved on a lighter bike as well.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Congrats. I liked the 12 that I had but after my right knee replacement, had a hard time getting my leg over it so ended up selling it.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
First thing I asked was whether the recall had been done. Yep, done in January, showed me the paperwork.
Saw a new '13 leftover at local dealer last week...so tempting!!!
What kind of paperwork did they have or should I ask for to be certain the recall was properly done?
Enjoy your new bike!!!

Bike
Vstrom 650
Congratulations and good luck with your new v strom, I bought one last year myself and love it, I think I have just about every farkle added that I can thus far, great bikes,
I also still have the ST but hardly ever get to ride it now, the weight difference to move around the garage is huge, with proper road tyres on, I have Metzeler roadtec 01 fitted, the v strom can really corner well.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Still lovin' them! ('12, not '13... the white one here in MA is a '13) Make sure it had the tappet and stator recall done. I still need the stator done on both of my Glees. I still enjoy the 300 pounds I lost LOL. Hope to see ya'll around! Be safe!

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
They had me sign the paperwork showing what and when it was done. I'm waiting on it to come with the title.
A leftover 2013? Wow! They must be asking too much...

Saw a new '13 leftover at local dealer last week...so tempting!!!
What kind of paperwork did they have or should I ask for to be certain the recall was properly done?
Enjoy your new bike!!!

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
I'll keep your tire suggestion in mind when it comes time. I've run radial and bias on the ST and the bias coupled with the Heli-Bars set the way I have them, well, it takes some work to make her move...
The V-Strom on radials with lighter weight and wider bars makes it feel like a dirt bike!

Congratulations and good luck with your new v strom, I bought one last year myself and love it, I think I have just about every farkle added that I can thus far, great bikes,
I also still have the ST but hardly ever get to ride it now, the weight difference to move around the garage is huge, with proper road tyres on, I have Metzeler roadtec 01 fitted, the v strom can really corner well.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
I remember the stator on the recall paperwork but not the tappet...will look into that.
Thanks-

Still lovin' them! ('12, not '13... the white one here in MA is a '13) Make sure it had the tappet and stator recall done. I still need the stator done on both of my Glees. I still enjoy the 300 pounds I lost LOL. Hope to see ya'll around! Be safe!

scootac

Will Ride for Food
They had me sign the paperwork showing what and when it was done. I'm waiting on it to come with the title.
A leftover 2013? Wow! They must be asking too much...
It was marked at $5800. I see Suzuki is offering 0% financing on leftovers back
to '14 models, wonder if they do the same on a '13?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi RedMotion: I asked this question in Nashcat's thread on his stator issue - but I'll ask it here too: did you look at the SV650 as an alternative to the V-Strom?

I'm interested in the SV because, like the V-Strom it is lighter but also, the look of the bike is a little more traditional.

Any thoughts- did you test one?

Pete

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
I called the dealer and they said no other recalls for my unit. I went ahead and double-checked and no further recalls for my bike.
Anyway, thanks for the link.
From what I understand, the tappet issue was not for any 2016 models. Any unit with possible tappet issues was to be fixed prior to any mileage. Should there be mileage, they would want 2,500 miles on it before taking it apart to look for the suspect wear...

Separate recall for tappets if yours was in the VIN range. Check the Suzuki recall page here

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
No, did not entertain the SV. The V-Strom's versitility, abundance of accessories and history were it for me.

Hi RedMotion: I asked this question in Nashcat's thread on his stator issue - but I'll ask it here too: did you look at the SV650 as an alternative to the V-Strom?

I'm interested in the SV because, like the V-Strom it is lighter but also, the look of the bike is a little more traditional.

Any thoughts- did you test one?

Pete

Top Bottom