New V-Strom 650 to replace ST1100

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
Saw a new '13 leftover at local dealer last week...so tempting!!!
What kind of paperwork did they have or should I ask for to be certain the recall was properly done?
Enjoy your new bike!!!
The paperwork looks to be from the Suzuki portal (suzukiconnect.com) via the dealership's access. It shows the dealership that is inquiring, the bike's info (Vin, frame #, color, control #), claims history (Fail part #, description of part and campaign #, complaint-defect code, repair date and service dealer).

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Nice looking bike. I have often said for a one only bike and where I live the Wee 650 is the way to go. Very dependable, inexpensive to purchase and very inexpensive to own and operate. I am on my second one now. Had a 09 for 6 years and now my 2014 for almost two years. Ride safe and enjoy your new Wee. If you have not already done so check out http://www.stromtrooper.com/ forum. Lots of good info. speaking of that, I just took mine on a 300 mile Lunch Loop yesterday.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Djc
Congrats on the new bike! I've had 3 Vstroms! an 05, 2012 and 2014 (1000).

I really liked the 650's, the 1000 was just OK. It was a lot more expensive to maintain, took premium gas, insurance was more, etc The extra power was nice but it really wasn't very fast for a 1000.

I still miss the 650's, I'll have a 4th one someday! Right now though my wife loves to ride and the Vstrom 650 just didn't cut it! We bought an XT250 for her this year to learn how to ride on and if she gets the hang of it, and starts riding her own bike i'll be trading my ST1300 for a 650 Vstrom ;)

Bike
St-1100 - 1990
Wee because it's the "Little guy" compared to the BIG 1000 Strom. I have an '06 Wee with 48,000 kms. Love it. I really notice the difference in parking lots and trying to put it on the Centre stand when I climb off my ST-1100. Bad shoulders and an occasional wonky knee do make a difference when you're facing 700 lbs,. versus 430 lbs. I do miss the shaft drive, but these days modern chains are not deal breakers as long as you maintain them properly.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck KLR,
Is "the Wee" a better bike than the KLR 650?
For off the beaten track the KLR is much better. For cutting miles on pavement and doing some of the more moderate jeep trails the Wee is great. I am too old to do much of the 4x4 dirt passes much anymore but here is a couple of pictures of me going up Hagerman (11925 Pass) on my 09 Wee. Colorado has a lot of dirt county roads and the Wee is ideal for exploring the state. For my style of riding, if I was only allowed one motorcycle to own, it would be a Wee 650. Depends on what one wants to do with it and how the bike is set up. I have ridden cross country on my Wee and then did some high country dirt trails. YMMV. MY KLR and DR650 was getting me in trouble, SAM_2091.jpg SAM_3522.jpg so I sold them and am staying with my Wee for the dirt roads and my little XT350 for anything that might be a bit more challenging.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Wee is a V twin were as the KLR and DR 650 are single thumpers. Wee smother faster more comfortable.
Did you ever consider upgrading the the front calipers on the vstrom? I see where you can buy an adapter plate, then use upgraded calipers from a different bike, I find the front brakes very weak, that's the only thing I don't like on my 2013 650, of course I'm used to the great brakes on the Abs11 ST1100.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
For my riding style and situation the cost out weighed the benefit. So no, I did not. Yes I know that it can be done with the other calipers a adapter plates.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Did you ever consider upgrading the the front calipers on the vstrom? I see where you can buy an adapter plate, then use upgraded calipers from a different bike, I find the front brakes very weak, that's the only thing I don't like on my 2013 650, of course I'm used to the great brakes on the Abs11 ST1100.
I have done this on my 2007 DL650. I put a set of Nissin 4-pot calipers from a CBR600. I bought them off of e-bay for about $60. I also added a v-strom 1000 master cylinder. It's a bit bigger than the one from a dl650, (5/8 vs 14mm). Overall the difference is truly amazing. Brake modulation and feel is soooooooo much better. I highly recommend the swap!

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks I am going to look into doing this soon,I'll have a look on ebay, I think it will be well worth doing.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
Put a fork brace on the other day. The cross-winds and semi turbulence no longer upset the steering. I'd read they made a difference but am impressed by how much.
The Tutoro oiler is working fine now. Was having an issue with the dual feeder which was probably part my fault of not securing the line out far enough on the swing-arm. Anyway, put the single feed tube on and added another zip-tie. 1,500 miles later, still working perfect.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
Added an old set of Bar-Back II risers and replaced the OEM Bridgestone Trail Wings with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Chuck,

Would love to hear your take on the gen 1 vs gen 2 wees. I have an 07 (non-abs) that is nicely farkled. I would like an ABS version and there are some really good deals out there on used gen 2 wees.

Thanks
I have a 2012 and 2013 (2012 is Mellow's old bike and is sold as of this Saturday). The 2012+ has a smoother engine, a couple more HP and a 0.2G smaller tank and all have ABS. I have most farkles on my bikes and by far the Givi Airflow was the best investment. Love the bike. Be safe and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have most farkles on my bikes and by far the Givi Airflow was the best investment. Love the bike.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have a madstad bracket and a Givi airflow on my 07 wee-strom. It is by far the quietest set up I've ever ridden. Zero buffeting and almost no noise! Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
RedMotion
STOC #
This year's additions include a set of Cycra Stealth DX handshields with the ability to adjust high and low and a Givi XS320 tankbag.
The tankbag has the tanklock system and I custom notched the tank ring so it would work on my bike. (The bag is usually sold with the rings and is marketed for the Africa Twin and Verseys 650. Love the bag and handshields.

Top Bottom