Bike
    03 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: BOSCH Oil Filter Update

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    It would be my guess that during the mfg. process, that either the bases may have been attached before the threads were cut, or, they realized they cut the threads wrong and flipped them over hoping they would work (just a guess).
    Stop guessing it is not working. There is an o-ring groove machined into the base. If the base was assembled wrong, then there would be NO groove. They made a change that was not thought out and then corrected. They pulled stock as a good company should do to prevent any possible problems and went back to the old way.
    Kevin Elliott

2003 ST1300
    STOC # 6495
    IBA # 39340

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_56 View Post
    Stop guessing it is not working. There is an o-ring groove machined into the base. If the base was assembled wrong, then there would be NO groove. They made a change that was not thought out and then corrected. They pulled stock as a good company should do to prevent any possible problems and went back to the old way.
    Your absolutely correct! This has got to be the best response on this whole thread! Thanks for putting it out there.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Got my hands on some of the new Bosch filters in the new blue box tonight. It appears the newest oil filters are completely different from the old 3300. While the OAL is the same, the base is inward again, however, looking down into the filter I noticed that they changed the Bypass at the end of the filter. It is no longer a flat wound spring that expands and contracts, but looks more like the unit in the Mobil 1 filters, only smaller, and it appears to be spot welded in four corners. Wonder if its still made by champion, or did they farm it out to another bid? At least it looks like the fitment & o-ring will work again.

+ New Posts
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567